Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 22-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetOfIndra
Buddhism is Hinduism Lite.

That's a funny one, Net.

Boy, I didn't think anybody was going to respond to my question/thread, but now I see I've got a wealth of information here!

Thank you, everybody who responded.

Old 22-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
Yes, I could but it would take quite a long explanation. I would recommend you reading something like the Short Intro to Buddhism/Hinduism series.

What also makes it more difficult is that Hinduism itself doesn't exist as a single entity (same could be said about Buddhism) and comparisons become unclear.

Buddhism arose in 6th Century BCE and has most parallels with Indian yogic traditions. Ultimately, the most revolutionary idea within Buddhism is the principle of non-self and emptiness. In almost all Hindu traditions the belief in a soul is prevalent.

If you have any specific questions they might be easier to answer.

A couple years ago, I happened upon a non-dual type forum, and have been learning about it ever since, but have struggled with some of the ideas, and recently decided to study up on Buddhism from the many books at the library, and one of my new favorite authors is Stephen Batchelor, whom I'm finding kind of speaks the same language - I understand him!

I've been finding that this type of philosophy is quite helpful in my dealing with my son's death in 2010.

p.s. I forgot to ask if you made your own signature quote, I like it.

Old 22-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Suspended
Sorry for the passing away of your son. Nice to hear that you are gaining strength and insight from various sources. Stephen Batchelor is one of the Buddhist moderno writers and he has a new take on things.. He wrote Buddhism Without Beliefs, I seem to recall. Damien Keown might also appeal (Buddhism: A Very Short Intro). For the OP and others with broad questions this is recommended reading....

PS Thanks for comment on my signature which I just made up...
Old 22-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Master
That's right, and I just started reading that book of his yesterday and finished another one by him a week ago, that I really have made big strides in understanding -- it's called, Living With the Devil - a Meditation on Good and Evil. I highly recommend it to beginners like me.

Old 23-10-2014, 12:04 AM
Master
How's things at that non dual forum Silver? Have you ever read stuff by Pema Chodron? I think I spelled it correctly.
I hope all is well with you.
WS

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Old 23-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Master
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacity
How's things at that non dual forum Silver? Have you ever read stuff by Pema Chodron? I think I spelled it correctly.
I hope all is well with you.
WS

It's going well...as always, fighting the good fight.

Yeah, I have a couple of her books and I've never read one of hers from cover to cover, yet.

Old 23-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Suspended
When Things Fall Apart is the classic by Pema Chodron
Old 23-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Master
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
When Things Fall Apart is the classic by Pema Chodron

I own one of her books, that might be the one...everybody enjoys her writing.