Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 14-06-2017, 12:55 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokazulu
I have cut out all refined sugar from my diet.

But, I know fruits have natural sugar and I wonder what kind of effect it has if I eat too many fruits?

I know sugar is detrimental to overall health and we only need roughly 25g (or possibly less) every single day, but we know fruits are healthy because of the vitamins and minerals they contain.

I want to start eating a ton of dates so I can gain weight, but one date is 16g of sugar which is about all you really need for one day.

Right now I feel that no matter how much sugar I take in it won't really be all that detrimental to me, so long as I take it in from fruits, however I want to know your perspective at this time.
Sugar (aka simple carbohydrates) feeds all degenerative diseases: cancer, diabetes, arthritis, alzheimer's, etc.. Complex carbohydrates are a little better, but ultimately they're converted to simple carbohydrates. Fructose, is worse among simple sugars, and high fructose corn syrup is the worst. To have noticeable vitamin content, fruits have to be organic. Avoid foods that contain any kind of GMO or hormones, and the less processed the better. Don't exceed more than 50 grams of proteins daily, and eat healthy fats. Look it up on the internet, avoiding governmental and allopathic medicine recommendations! Don't forget to add proper physical exercise to your healthy lifestyle. If you're vegetarian, supplement with B12 vitamin. From the overwhelming number of health gurus, I'd recommend dr. Mercola.
Old 14-06-2017, 01:05 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
There are no studies that have shown fruit causes spikes to blood sugar the same way artificial sugar does. Regardless of how much fruit was consumed during the studies.

I myself eat a ton of fruit. I mean A ton. Most days I will eat an entire bag of grapes. As well a pineapple and other fruit depending on how I feel. On recent blood work that I had done, back in April, my glucose was at 103. Which is within healthy ranges.

If you want to gain weight, up your calorie intake. As well as add in healthy fats, such as nuts. Peanut butter can help.

From what I know, your post gives bad advice: fructose is worse among simple sugars, and feeds all degenerative diseases, as studies show.

Read this:
Quote:
How Fructose Metabolism Gives Rise to Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity

A summary of fructose metabolism is as follows:

•Every cell in your body utilizes glucose. Therefore, much of it is "burned up" immediately after you consume it. When you consume glucose, your liver only has to break down 20 percent of it.

By contrast, cells don’t use fructose for energy, so 100 percent of the fructose you eat is metabolized in your liver. Your liver is the only organ equipped with a fructose transporter, called GLUT5. Rather than being used as a quick energy source, fructose is turned into free fatty acids (FFAs), very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL, the damaging form of cholesterol), and triglycerides, which are then stored as body fat.

When you eat 120 calories of glucose, less than one calorie is stored as fat; 120 calories of fructose results in 40 calories being stored as fat.

•Fructose metabolism is very similar to ethanol metabolism, which has a multitude of toxic effects. The fatty acids created during fructose metabolism accumulate as fat droplets in your liver and skeletal muscle tissues, causing insulin resistance and NAFLD.

As your body becomes increasingly resistant to insulin, your pancreas keeps releasing ever higher amounts of insulin in an effort to curb your rising blood sugar levels. Eventually, your pancreas loses the battle; your blood sugar levels keep rising, and you end up with metabolic syndrome and full-blown diabetes.

•Fructose is the most lipophilic carbohydrate. In other words, fructose converts to activated glycerol (g-3-p), which is directly used to turn FFAs into triglycerides. The more g-3-p you have, the more fat you store. Glucose does not do this.

•The metabolism of fructose by your liver creates a long list of waste products and toxins, including a large amount of uric acid, which drives up blood pressure and causes gout.

•Glucose suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin and stimulates leptin, which suppresses your appetite. Fructose, on the other hand, does not appropriately stimulate insulin, which in turn fails to suppress ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") and blocks leptin signaling (the "satiety hormone"). The end result is overeating and insulin resistance. In short, fructose tricks your body into gaining weight by turning off your body's natural appetite-control system.
Old 14-06-2017, 02:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
From what I know, your post gives bad advice: fructose is worse among simple sugars, and feeds all degenerative diseases, as studies show.

Read this:

I did go on to mention what you did about fructose being an issue, in a later reply.

However in my original reply I was speaking on studies I have read, and have shared my experience. I should however, had made a disclaimer to of course speak with a trained dietician and not someone you hear from on a forum. That would really be detrimental to ones health.

And anything, as they say, should be consumed in moderation.
Quote:
Fruits vs. Fructose

The studies from Teff and Stanhope's groups involved fructose-sweetened beverages, not on the effects of eating whole fruit in a naturally-occurring form. Fortunately, other researchers have begun looking at the short- and long-term effects of eating whole fruit.
...fruit consumption may protect against the development of diabetes.

From a long-term, population-based perspective, fruit consumption may protect against the development of diabetes. In a British study of 5,996 people not known to have diabetes, those reporting eating fruit five or more times per week had a slightly lower hemoglobin A1c (5.33% vs. 5.43%).4 While just a small difference, it was nonetheless statistically significant, and suggests overall fruit consumption may have some protective effect against the development of type 2 diabetes, although it could be that fruit consumption was otherwise linked to other healthy behaviors and fruit has no direct effect. A meta-analysis of similar epidemiologic studies sought to examine the relationship between fruit consumption and the development of type 2 diabetes. These researchers found a non-significant trend toward reduced rates of diabetes among those with the highest fruit consumption, though the researchers noted a high degree of variability in the study making it difficult to draw firm conclusions.5 (The protective effects of green, leafy vegetables were much clearer in this analysis, so don’t forget to eat more kale.)
....benefits in the low-GI fruit group [may include] a reduction in blood sugar...an increase in healthy HDL cholesterol...and a reduction in blood pressure...
Old 14-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokazulu
I have cut out all refined sugar from my diet.

But, I know fruits have natural sugar and I wonder what kind of effect it has if I eat too many fruits?

I know sugar is detrimental to overall health and we only need roughly 25g (or possibly less) every single day, but we know fruits are healthy because of the vitamins and minerals they contain.

I want to start eating a ton of dates so I can gain weight, but one date is 16g of sugar which is about all you really need for one day.

Right now I feel that no matter how much sugar I take in it won't really be all that detrimental to me, so long as I take it in from fruits, however I want to know your perspective at this time.

You didn't mention what kind of foods you do eat along with the fruit you're asking about. Do you think maybe you could make some adjustments there or simply add more calories (bigger portions) if gaining a little weight is a goal for you?

One word of comfort to you (maybe). My husband was 125 pounds (5'11') until he hit 35 when he crept up slightly over 130. Now at 66, he doesn't have to fight his weight (he's 146 lbs) like most old guys his age and he can see his shoes unlike his brother who was a more average size/weight ratio and can only see his shoes when he's standing up in front of a floor length mirror So there is something to look forward to even though right now it must be frustrating for you.
Old 21-07-2017, 09:42 PM
Guide

It really depends. You'll have to experiment with it for yourself.

Some people are fine with a lot of fruit sugar, and some people have inflammation, and can cause other effects. I used to eat an all raw vegan high fruit diet, of about 9k - 12k cals/day. I was also VERY active. To give you a better understanding, I would eat about 100 dates in a day, with 3-4 heads of romaine, maybe 10 banana's in a smoothie with spinach, and other fruits. I would mono meal, and I lived off of fruit for the most part. I had other inflammation to begin with, and finally realized for myself that after eating this way for 2.5 years that fructose was causing me added inflammation.

As they say, not all sugars are the same. I never gained weight on eating large quantities of banana's, but I did with dates.

Still, Calories in vs Calories out, to some degree, if you have a high metabolism, I would say figure out how many calories you burn in a day, and track what you're eating for the next little bit, if it's not a disordered eating back ground you're coming from. Also, really depends on how much muscle you have, and or if there are any other health concerns that may be causing you to be at a weight you're not happy with.

I also hurt my liver from eating the above, but I am a rare case. I understand if you want to experiment in this area with fruit, than you should. :) All of our bodies are different, and not all of us will react the same. I still eat a lot of fruit, and have been experimenting with it again, after years of not. I rarely touch dates, unless I am making a dessert..for a crust..

If you want to eat more fruit, go to sweet juicy fruits..

Try upping other carbs, greens, and fats..? & as Tobi pointed out, take care of yourself in ALL ways, as it all works together. :) If it is an area that isn't working for you right now.
Old 24-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Newbie ;)

Fruit contains natural sugar. Which is not harmful for the health.
Old 24-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Master
You will not gain weight with raw foods, if this is what you want.
If you want to gain weight you can build muscle mass, or fat.
To produce fat in you body, eat a lot of carbs and fats.
To increase you muscle mass, a lot of work and protein plus carbs and fat.
On the other hand if you are health now, why not stay as you are?