Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 19-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Master
Will I say the same things again?

I will say what I always say: that this thread is not about Buddhist practice; it is the practice itself. I can't possibly frame the subject in any other way, because if it isn't in practice then it can't be called 'Buddhism'.This then only begs the question: what is the practice?

There are a couple of formalities: 'taking refuge' and some simple moral vows (sila). For the purposes of this thread, refuge should be thought of taking refuge or resting in the enlightenment within yourself, whatever it means to you... a secondary aspect of refuge is refuge in eachother, as we should be as trustful as we can that we wish for mutual happiness and greater benefit and well-being. If this remains our true wish, that makes us trustworthy. It's also the basic principle of 'metta', or loving-kindness.

The moral vows are pretty simple: not killing, stealing etc. or otherwise harming, which are a basic byproduct of taking refuge, and hence, metta. It is taught that these two together are the foundation of practice. So with refuge in enlightenment and conduct of kind, mutual respect, we're well founded for the intricacies of practice.

Last edited by Gem : 20-05-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 19-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I will say what I always say: that this thread is not about Buddhist practice; it is the practice itself. I can't possibly frame the subject in any other way, because if it isn't in practice then it can't be called 'Buddhism'.This then only begs the question: what is the practice?

There are a couple of formalities: 'taking refuge' and some simple moral vows (sila). For the purposes of this thread, refuge should be thought of taking refuge or resting in the enlightenment within yourself, whatever it means to you... a secondary aspect of refuge is refuge in eachother, as we should be as trustful as we can that we wish for mutual happiness and greater benefit and well-being. If this remains our true wish, that makes us trustworthy. It's also the basic principle of 'metta', or loving-kindness.

he moral vows are pretty simple: not killing, stealing etc. or otherwise harming, which are a basic byproduct of taking refuge, and hence, metta. It is taught that these two together are the foundation of practice. So we with refuge in enlightenment, and conduct of kind, mutual respect. If we remain grounded in these, we're well founded for the intricacies of practice.

There are many ways to practise Buddhism and I think it depends on what branch ( if any) you choose to follow. Some focus on different aspects of Buddha's teachings but all of them do follow the basics and seem to agree and accept the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. Buddhism unlike religion is open to diversity so each branch/school will follow different practices but to be a Buddist you must practise Buddhism according to your branch/school.
Old 19-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Eelco

Lol,
funny these absolute fabrications.

Feeling pleasant feelings and ridiculous thoughts.
Breathing.....

With love
Eelco
Old 19-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Eelco

"The terms Thai Buddhism, Sri Lankan Buddhism, Chinese Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Korean Buddhism, and so on are social conventions. In each case, Buddhism in a country is not monolithic and contains many Buddhist practice traditions and tenet systems. Within these, there are subgroups consisting of monasteries or teachers with various affiliations. Some subtraditions emphasize study, others meditation. Some stress practicing serenity (samatha, śamatha), others insight (vipassanā, vipaśyanā), and others both together.

As followers of the Buddha, let’s keep these variations in mind and not think that everything we hear or learn about another tradition applies to everyone in that tradition. Similarly not everything we hear about how Buddhism is practiced in a particular country applies to all traditions or temples in that country.
Indeed we are a huge and diverse Buddhist family following the same wise and compassionate Teacher, Śākyamuni Buddha. I believe our diversity is one of our strengths. It has allowed Buddhism to spread throughout the world and to benefit billions of people on this planet."
-Buddhism:One Teacher , Many Traditions-
Dalai Lama and Thubten Chodron.
Old 20-05-2018, 12:58 AM
Deactivated Account
Good afternoon Gem

Till something becomes seconded nature, you don't have to think about it.

To listen to yourself and to bring in the things in that resonate with you.
Old 20-05-2018, 01:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
Lol,
funny these absolute fabrications.

Which fabrications do you mean?

Quote:
Feeling pleasant feelings and ridiculous thoughts.
Breathing.....

These or something else?
Old 20-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Master
The reason I start where I do, with refuge and sila, is these aren't exclusively Buddhist; they are fundamental to practice in any art of living. Taking refuge in your enlightenment defines the spiritual focus, and the general wish to benefit provides the impetus for practice.
Old 20-05-2018, 04:41 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Which fabrications do you mean?

I meant this one.
But if you want to call mine fabrications too. You're right as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
that this thread is not about Buddhist practice; it is the practice itself. I can't possibly frame the subject in any other way, because if it isn't in practice then it can't be called 'Buddhism'.

With Love
Eelco
Old 20-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
I meant this one.
But if you want to call mine fabrications too. You're right as well.

With Love
Eelco

According to how I was instructed, Buddhism consists of the philosophy and the practice. For example, taking refuge isn't just lip-service; it is actually meant and really applied in life. Similarly, vows to morality are not empty words. They are meant and aspired to.
Old 20-05-2018, 06:25 AM
Eelco

Never mind....

With Love
Eelco