Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 21-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Meerschweinchen

Loki as a patron?

Ok, well, I have been doing some research. Either people seem to love Loki or hate him. Now, I admit, I might not have done too much research... so uh bare with me.

Loki is pretty much noted as a god that causes much trouble, and many people are telling me that many pagans strive to avoid him, due to this.

Here's my problem.
A few months ago, Loki claimed me, to be my patron.

And don't get me wrong, he's been very good to me. All I feel around him is acceptance and general comfort. What confuses me is what everyone seems to claim about him. I'm pretty much torn. I don't know what to believe or how to think of myself.

Is anyone able to shed some light?
Thanks much in advance.
Old 22-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Animus27

Having Loki as a patron isn't very uncommon with Neopagans. He is a god that's very popular in the Eddas and some people identify with his perceived "rebel" nature.

But from a Heathen point of view, Loki is outlawed. In the Lokasenna he shows his true colors, by insulting the gods and he is bound for the death of Baldr. In Old Norse society, outlawry was a death sentence, it meant that the person had no support from their kin, and could be killed without retribution. So the outlawry of Loki would mean he is antithetical to the gods, and by extension mankind who rely on the gods for luck and preservation.

But... if you are not a Heathen, you'll probably have a different understanding of him. And thus, might not perceive him as being so malignant and destructive.

Personally, I would be suspicious if Loki claimed to be my "patron" or anything else. I would think that it's probably some trick of his. And that any kind of positiveness that comes out of it, is the wining and dining before the date-rape But I may feel that way because my attitude towards Loki is colored by the Heathen worldview, rather than a general Neopagan one.

So, take what you wish. ;)
Old 27-12-2011, 12:52 AM
AngelicOrin

Honestly I would worry as well, but I have to admit with all of my interactions with Loki he has been nothing but a playful god. But still, I am wary of him as I know about the lore that surrounds him and I am quick to call Thor if I feel uncomfortable. Just keep true to yourself, and do not be afraid to call on another god like Thor or Odin if you feel the need too.

Who is your patron Animus? Mine is Shiva :)
Old 27-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Thirteen

I always thought in modern times Loki was the patron god of hackers. I've never seen him act badly, but yeah he does have a legend. I feel many of his stories are teaching tales.
Old 28-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicOrin
Who is your patron Animus? Mine is Shiva :)
I don't have one, at the moment. I've never really understood the dynamic of the patron phenomenon. I've always had a more impersonal view of the gods, and don't see what they'd want with a personal relationship with an individual. Even though I don't discount the possibility of it happening - it's just not the focus of my path, which is more focused on my ancestors, and the gods as a whole, rather than an individual one.

How long has Shiva been your patron? And what do you get out of the relationship - and what does he get? I'm interested.
Old 28-12-2011, 05:41 AM
AngelicOrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
I don't have one, at the moment. I've never really understood the dynamic of the patron phenomenon. I've always had a more impersonal view of the gods, and don't see what they'd want with a personal relationship with an individual. Even though I don't discount the possibility of it happening - it's just not the focus of my path, which is more focused on my ancestors, and the gods as a whole, rather than an individual one.

How long has Shiva been your patron? And what do you get out of the relationship - and what does he get? I'm interested.

I have always been told that they pick you, to guide - not sure why, but I guess they do. Shiva is just one of many gods I personally work with too, but Shiva was the one who first made connect and all.

I have known Shiva for years and years now, maybe 5-6 years? To me, Shiva is a great friend and mentor; and I have been learning about Hindu philosophy lately, and it is very surprising how much of it just clicks in the mind as if I already knew about it! So I believe he has been teaching me about spirituality with out my knowing. As for what he gets out of it, not sure, devotion I guess. I give me my utter most respect, and Shiva is the type of God who respects you if you respect him.
Old 28-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Animus27

Thank you AngelicOrin. I like your perspective. I don't have much else to add at the moment besides the fact that the concept of patronage has always fascinated me, and frustrated me, particularly because when I first came onto the Neo-pagan scene, I felt like everyone should have a patron of some sort, and that a lack of one meant something was amiss. But my thoughts have become much more... complex? upon the matter.
Old 28-12-2011, 06:58 AM
mattie

Claiming Gives pause

What jumps out at me is its claiming you. Vet this energy as benevolent energies are not intrusive. Imposter energies are often intrusive.

You can quiz them w/ the vetting instructions & if they ARE who they claim to be. If it is this energy & they are supposed to be a connection for you as part of your legitimate spiritual team they won't have any issue w/ your vetting them.
Old 29-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Mysticdreamer

lol! This may sound slightly disrespectful and I am truly sorry for that, but I've always sort of had a crush on Loki. He was the rebel. The ultimate bad boy. So if he ever offered to be my patron I would accept it in a heartbeat. Maybe he could teach me how to lighten up again and be less serious, as has always been in my nature to do. Right now I'm going through a real serious phase. Yuck. But... yay, Loki. Girl or boy, whatever you are, you are so lucky.

Also to Mattie, hello? It's Loki, the god of mischief. The rebel God. What do you honestly expect? It makes perfect sense, at least in my mind, for him to claim someone instead of being claimed.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticdreamer
It's Loki, the god of mischief. The rebel God. What do you honestly expect?
Actually, in pre-Christian Icelandic religion, Loki wouldn't have been a god in the true sense of the word (that is being Regin or a ruling power). The only depictions of Loki outside the Eddas are rune stones were Loki is bound. And there are no place-names or theophoric names in Sagic literature, or in historical records (to my knowledge). Thus Loki doesn't seem to be an actual gοð or týr in the way other gods were seen as; despite him being listed as one of the 12 major Aesir in the Gylfaginning.

Then there's the matter of his behavior in the later half of the poems, where his character changes to something much more malevolent.
Given all that, I'd say Loki is an outlander Jotun of murder and treachery, rather than a god of mischief