Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbr1111
Can someone explain the difference between the shamanic world / entities and the spirit guide world ? Based on my understanding is that power animals / totems that you meet during journeys are not the same entities as your spiritual team. Shamanism seems to have specific worlds you visit when journeying while this isn't the case when meeting with your spiritual team. Can someone elaborate on the difference between these two concepts ? I'm having a hard time conceptualising the difference between the two ....

Hi njbr, glad to hear the journeying is working for you.

Shamanism usually divides the spiritual world into three different realms, the upper, middle and lower realms. The lower being the place of challenges, the middle of the mundane, and the upper the place of the spiritually enlightened. However, these "three" realms are really are really the same spiritual world in which spirit guides reside. Dividing the spiritual into three realms makes it easier to focus your journey on what you need.

Frequently, when one journeys, you may have the same animal guides again and again. But they can also frequently change depending on what you need during your journey. As your needs change, your animal guide can change too. Let's say you're looking for self-confidence and assuredness, you may have a lion for a guide. Then, if your need changes to more sensitivity, your animal guide may change to a doe (if that represents sensitivity to you). I think that your animal guide could still be the same entity taking a different form for you to learn from.

I guess that your spirit guide doesn't usually change form to it stays familiar to you. But, in many ways, they are the same.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
thunderseed

Quote:
Hi, a few basic questions on shamanic journeys (I've never done one) but wondering a few things ...

Is the drumming necessary ? Seems it would have the same effect as listening to maybe theta brainwaves ?

When experiencing a journey, is it similar to having a dream or is it more like your imagination but somewhat guided ? I'm having a hard time explaining my question ... what would one essentially expect to experience ?

How would a journey be different than a guided meditation used for example to meet your spirit guides ?

thanks for any responses,
njbr.

Drumming is not necessary for visual quests. Yes it does help, because it unites the spirit with the heart, drumming tunes you into higher frequencies, much like the heart beat of the earth.

The imagination is the gateway portal to what is beyond, the power of the mind holds everything you need to explore all realms and meet all beings.
In order to do a shamanic journey, you need to understand that your mind should be open to everything you imagine being real.

It is not like a dream. It will feel real, and as you progress, not imagined. Depending on your imagination and sensory skills, you will feel, touch, hear, see, taste...
This is why it is important to become very skillful at visualization, and imagination exercises. The more you practice imagining things, the easier it will be for you to sense unimagined things.

It's not different from a guided meditation.
However, real shamanic journeys are sacred and strict. You won't find those anywhere.
In a shamanic journey, you are going to the lower and upper realms, usually through holes in the ground like lakes, caves, or climbing trees, mountains to get up. You have to imagine this in order to find a gateway portal into the realms you choose to go.

But really, all it is, is visualization. And you can meet your spirit guides by simply asking them to come to you, visualizing a meeting spot with them.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Wicked Willow

Apart from the use of entheogenic substances (which were - and still are - quite common in traditional shamanic cultures), drumming is the easiest method to achieve an altered state of consciousness, but it's certainly not the only one. Vigils (i.e. sleep deprivation), fasting, sweat lodges and even acts such as swordfighting/metalworking have been used to "journey".
Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
njbr1111

Would anyone care to suggest ways in which journeys a can be used to help others ? Ie can they be used to explore past lives, etc ... So far I've done a single journey used to meet my power animal but trying to figure out where to go next.

I tried a second journey but it was somewhat unsuccessful, I'm uncertain as to whether it was lack of focus, lack of intent or too high expectation since I had such a great first journey.

thanks for any input,
njbr.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Master
Looking back at the few times I journeyed for others, it is very clear that our meeting and the problems themselves (as well as the solutions) were based on a karma like relationship.
In other words it was meant to be and for the both of us at the time.
When I tried to journey for others in the way a medium tries to help others, I failed miserably.
You'll know when it is the right thing to do and you will know what to do at that time IMO.
Blessings, James
Old 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Master
Generally, I find that "striding the hedge" is not under my control. I get what the ancestors and spirits are prepared to give me.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Generally, I find that "striding the hedge" is not under my control. I get what the ancestors and spirits are prepared to give me.

Yes Norseman I agree I too am very much lead to do it and follow the leading as opposed to it being a everyday ritual.

I do use journeying to help others. That is part of my spiritual circuit. They are journeys directed by Spirit to aid others in spiritual understanding and freedom. I call them spiritual healing journeys. I do know of others who do the same types of journeys to administer physical healing to others.

You may want to simply ask the Great Spirit to share with you what purpose your journeying is for...don't try to move too quickly, be patient and seek instruction and direction first so that you will be properly ready and equipped to serve that purpose you are being called to.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Would anyone care to suggest ways in which journeys a can be used to help others ? Ie can they be used to explore past lives, etc ... So far I've done a single journey used to meet my power animal but trying to figure out where to go next...

"Soul Retrieval" is a common shamanic healing technique. There are numerous books on it (Sandra Ingerman comes to mind) that describes this in detail. It basically involves bringing back lost pieces of a person's soul. The thought being that a person can lose a small part of their soul during a traumatic event. "Lose" really meaning that they've lost touch with it. For example, a person who underwent sexual abuse may become unable to love another. Sometimes, a shamanic retrieval can help with that by retrieving that part of the person's soul in the spirit realm.

However, "Soul Retrieval" only works if the person is truly ready to heal that part of their life. No one can force a part of a soul back when the person isn't truly ready to receive it. In the case of sexual abuse, a "Soul Retrieval" may not work if the person hasn't forgiven the abuser. If the person is still holding onto anger and hatred about it, a shaman may be able to offer the part of the soul back. But that part of the soul will leave again because the person isn't truly ready for it.

There are other techinques as well. I've used some from Huna that involve helping others. But, as will all things, it doesn't work if the person doesn't want it to work.