Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 29-01-2011, 03:30 PM
windwhistle

Books Begone!

Collecting books is a sign of sickness in me. While engaging in his unhealthy activity great pleasure envelopes me as I see the books piling up in my bookcase. I have read them all. I am well-read. If people could only see what I've read, they'd be most impressed! Most people don't even read.

Today I want to empty myself. I will give them all away. Others at work want to read them. The library would be thrilled to have them. But what will I do instead of read. I will meditate!

Life is meant to be experienced. I have the knowledge...now I need to stop reading and start acting or non-acting...whatever the case may be.

I feel free.
Old 29-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Master
Color

Windwhistle, you are reminding me of something I don't want to face.
I have books. Two shelves full, I mean two bookcases full and I haven't 'touched' any of them for well I don't want to say how long. They are covered in dust, but I look at some of them with great fondness and affection. Of course, this is a task that I've designated to do this weekend with any luck. I HAVE to keep my favorites. I will pick through them and tell myself ok, this one, not a favorite, but and you know will still be tempted to keep ones I shouldn't.

Old 29-01-2011, 05:38 PM
windwhistle

Just remember...when in doubt-throw it out.

I put some of mine in the discard pile and 10 minutes later an intuitive knowing to hold on to two of the books, (out of 150 I might add,) crossed through my mind and I know I was supposed to keep them. The rest are going. I am keeping children's books, some Tao books, a dictionary, some fairy tale books and books on astral travel and a couple of haiku books.

I will use the empty book shelves to hold shoes in the closet...which is much needed.

Good luck with your 'freeing' project. What we hold onto, binds us, when we let go, we allow new events to occur and a freshness of spirit ensues!!!
Old 29-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwhistle
Just remember...when in doubt-throw it out.

I will use the empty book shelves to hold shoes in the closet...which is much needed.

Good luck with your 'freeing' project. What we hold onto, binds us, when we let go, we allow new events to occur and a freshness of spirit ensues!!!

Aww, those are great ideas!

Idk why, I never thought to use them as a shoe organizer! I need that too.

Great thoughts you've given me to bolster my resolve to get this done ~ yeah!

Old 29-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Master
I have books GALORE.....I have about twenty near my bed ready to read. I go to Book mooch and give my books away and if I don't want to spend money request a book, if I'm too lazy for bookmooch I give mine to the salvation army.
Spiritlite
PS I love my books.....I don't care how many I have.
Old 29-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
I have books GALORE.....I have about twenty near my bed ready to read. I go to Book mooch and give my books away and if I don't want to spend money request a book, if I'm too lazy for bookmooch I give mine to the salvation army.
Spiritlite
PS I love my books.....I don't care how many I have.
I think books are awesome. It's only over-reliance and unhealthy attachment to them physically that is a bad thing, in my mind at least.
Old 30-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Time

is there really a difference between books and shoes?? Isnt that just stealing from peter to pay paul ? LOL
Old 30-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Kapitan_Prien

'Life is meant to be experienced' - I like that quote Wind Whistle.

The only books I have are historical ones mainly: WWI and II U-Boats, and a few Cape Horn ship books...a book on tea for healing, one on herbs 'herbal vade mecum', and two on house plants...oh and a pocket atlas. That's all. I am no 'book worm' and cannot stand much 'cerebral' stuff.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:48 AM
nventr

Get rid of my books!?? Nooooo, please don't make me!

How would I be able to understand my experience if I did not have something to use as a benchmark?

Then again, I'm a girl. My understanding comes from reflection.
Old 31-01-2011, 04:11 AM
Master
I do not own one book.