Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 12-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Knower
Who Are You?

As always...Namaste.

"What is it that has never changed? Life passes by and everything is in flux, with one exception. You, the witness, who has always been there. Thoughts, feelings, the world around you move and flow; but you are always there, watching.

We often take on beliefs that we are a certain person, whether that be good, bad, kind selfish, etc. These are only ideas that we harbor in our mind, and they are not what we are. Once you drop your ego (ideas and beliefs about yourself) can you start seeing who you truly are. The ego is an illusion maintained by the mind. It is powerful and persistent. People identify with it and feel threatened when it is challenged. Moving beyond the ego is how we open up to our true essence, that which transcends the mind/ego.

The ego is like a house of cards: when one card falls, the whole structure might collapse, leaving a person devastated. Your true self is greater than any ego you might hold.

Forget the past. You are the boat moving through the ocean, not the wake left behind the boat. Forget the future. You have no way of controlling what has yet happened. The present is where your true self exists. The present is where you will always find your self. The past and future exist only in the mind. Be in this moment now.

Identify what you are not. You are not the the objects of the world. They are observable. You are not the body. It is observable. You are not your feelings. They are observable. You are not the mind. It is observable. If you are not those things that are observable, then what are you? Who are you?

Dig deep to find your true self. It cannot be observed directly because it is you, the observer."

http://www.speaksumo.com

www.speaksumo.com
www.bluestar.uno
Old 12-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Master
Who knows? Who concludes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicValet

We often take on beliefs that we are a certain person, whether that be good, bad, kind selfish, etc.

Maybe that's all we are. A belief. Nothing more.

Quote:

Once you drop your ego (ideas and beliefs about yourself) can you start seeing who you truly are.

Who or what drops or moves beyond the ego? Who sees?

Quote:
Your true self is greater than any ego you might hold.

Greater or less than, i suppose there isn't a real difference.

No answer necessary. Just questions and thoughts that appeared to me.
Old 13-04-2020, 03:26 AM
Master

Quote:
As always...Namaste.

"What is it that has never changed? ...

... Who are you?

Dig deep to find your true self. It cannot be observed directly because it is you, the observer."
In my view, you are the creator of your reality, even when you let others dictate it. Things don't happen to you. Your subconscious accepts that blueprint and creates your ego's reality. Why? Because your ego and your subconscious don't talk to each other.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 13-04-2020, 04:20 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
In my view, you are the creator of your reality, even when you let others dictate it. Things don't happen to you.

Painting reality with our brush, or a borrowed brush...maybe?

www.speaksumo.com
www.bluestar.uno
Old 13-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Master

Not the brush, the agreed blueprint.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 14-04-2020, 12:16 AM
Master
It is my hope that one day, I will be able to understand who I am by excluding everything who I am not - a process of elimination.

Just as I manage to lose a few "labels", others around me seem to notice that gaping vacuum which nature abhors, then they fall over each other seeking to fill it in with their own perceptions....so, my first understanding of who I am not is this:

"I am not who I think that you think that I am".

Yeah, if I am working on trying to lose my identity, others don't get to give me one either or else, what is the whole point of it?

I have already pretty much disidentified with race, species, gender and age...that was the easy part... however maintaining equanimity in the face of "armchair/keyboard warriors" is difficult, but I am getting there.

The proliferation of opinions others tout as being incontrovertible truths only goes to illustrate how flimsy the veil of illusion actually is...it can snap into self realization at any given moment.

My ego can identify with many things still... but if we are to honestly believe some of those aforementioned opinions, even those given by notable psychiatrists of yore, without an ego, who "we" are would simply cease to exist.... however what ceases to exist is only who we believe ourselves to be, notwithstanding the whole notion of "I am a Divine Being" or somesuch.

The experience needs to be had without any thought or contemplation of "Who am I?" because the dog also often thinks to itself "I am my own tail".

However, I will concede that my habitual use of illeism (referring to myself in the third person), stems more from all of the literary sources of information and the cultural background I have been exposed to throughout my life rather than being any specific narcissistic personality trait.

It is just very difficult for me to find that fine line which exists between "taking ownership/responsibility for my words and deeds" vs "making it all about ME"....I never learned to be able to make that distinction due to a Pervasive Developmental Disorder and so, referring to myself in the third person was just easier somehow.

However, because this habit of mine tends to infuriate others into a blind rage (as does making any personal reference to myself), I will speak to a REAL psychiatrist with the necessary diagnostic qualifications and undergo some kind of psychotherapy to rid myself of it once and for all.

OMG! I just looked online to try and find resources to help me with breaking the habit of illeism....and in doing so, I discovered why it is I became so dissociated from any and all notions of a "personal self" to begin with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illeism

"Jnana yoga actually encourages its practitioners to refer to themselves in the third person. Young children in Japan commonly refer to themselves by their own name.."

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...m=Main.Illeism

It is only a "verbal/written tic" and nothing more than that...it is the way my brain has been wired for communication however, it comes across as sounding to others like I am being vain, arrogant and egocentric when I am only trying to imply the opposite by not being rude. It is a "cultural thing" which is more accepted and acceptable in Hindu and Buddhist countries than in Christian ones... the former sees it as a sign of humility...the latter as a sign of egotism. The former sees it as a sign of spiritual attainment...the latter as a sign of serious mental illness....this is very strange isn't it?

Of course all of this is off topic when viewed from one perspective and hits to the heart of the topic when viewed from another perspective...who am I?

I am NOT the one who believes that my perspective is superior or inferior to anybody else's perspective because ALL perspectives never tell the full of true story anyway.

Two negations down...millions more to go...
Old 14-04-2020, 06:20 AM
Master
Someone asked me,"who are you?" I just told them i was Batman.
Old 14-04-2020, 06:33 AM
Elfin

Hi.. I am not my ego. That's who I'm not!!! But who am I ?? Remains to be seen. Batman's good, but already taken!!!!!!!!!
Old 14-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Lorelyen

I'm me, everyone knows that. No one could respond on this or any forum or get any way through a day without their ego no matter what level they've refined it to, unless they're a hermit and even then. As long as you have awareness you're your ego. Or you'd be unable to distinguish yourself from anything else in the ecology/your environment.
Old 14-04-2020, 08:13 AM
ant

The addict,the hermit,the joker,the non-conformist etc etc.