Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 28-07-2011, 03:47 PM
moke64916
Posts: n/a
 
Enlightenment happens when fully present in moment and awareness. But one will be aware in the Present. The Now is key for spirituality.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Xan Xan is offline
Suspended
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: here... now...
Posts: 12,409
  Xan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not human
Whats that story about the 100th monkey? That 99 monkeys put in the work & the 100th monkey crosses over effortlessly...or something like that. Want a banana?

Here's the gist of the 100th monkey thing, not human.

Some animal behaviorists, or such like, were observing monkeys on an island and noticed a small group of them were washing their sweet potatoes before they ate them. They wondered, what if another group would learn that from the first bunch, and somehow arranged for them to see each other.

One monkey family after another learned the behavior through imitation... until at one point after "the 100th monkey" learned it, suddenly all the monkeys on the island began washing their sweet potatoes without ever seeing the ones who already did it. As I recall the monkeys on a nearby island
with no chance of physical contact between them also began sweet potato washing.

When enough of us educated monkeys get into clearing our minds there may be that sort of leap I've envisioned before... a contagion of awakening awareness and love. Who knows?


Xan
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29-07-2011, 02:57 AM
not human
Posts: n/a
 
Thanks Xan. Theres hope for us primates yet:)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:10 AM
not human
Posts: n/a
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentientno1
i'm with you on this NH.

Enlightened, dunno really what that refers to... am favoring realisation simply because it sorta carries the meaning of some knowledge connection applying to life questions.

By last count i came up with 5 of them, and maybe those realisations are mistaken, each one, to be the only one, or the last or whatever. It would serve no purposful meaning to deliberatly claim any realisation, so am thinking there are prolly honestly mistaken people who think they've arrived.

Years ago under a guru's tutalage there were criteria for determining realisation.

I always thought "why did the chicken cross the road" good zen. Kids are very good at koans..."why mommy why, why mommy why"

Hi Sen. Reminds me of a story I heard once about a zen student who after attaining enlightenment visited her teacher. She grabbed his staff off him & threatened to strike him with it. The Roshe asked her what was up & she replied " for years I have studied under you following you always searching for my true nature & now I have found it" The roshe was surprised at her reaction. She said " after all the searching this .....this ordinary thing......this thing I have disregarded all this time .....this is it? They both smiled. The more I shed the more this story rings true :)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:20 AM
not human
Posts: n/a
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moke64916
Enlightenment happens when fully present in moment and awareness. But one will be aware in the Present. The Now is key for spirituality.

Moke that reminds me that right now I am the oldest I've ever been.......& now I'm older. Thanks mate
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:23 AM
cheeky_monkey
Posts: n/a
 
Our budgies learnt to fly the cage and go in each night for food and sleep. They used to put themselves to bed. They learnt this from one of our older budgies who passed the routine onto them. Sadly the budgie (Billy) who founded this idea died of a broken heart three weeks after his mate died. He just willed himself to die and was a tragic scene to watch. Sorry for lowering the mood perhaps but the monkey story reminded me of what our Billy started in our house.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:29 AM
not human
Posts: n/a
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Our budgies learnt to fly the cage and go in each night for food and sleep. They used to put themselves to bed. They learnt this from one of our older budgies who passed the routine onto them. Sadly the budgie (Billy) who founded this idea died of a broken heart three weeks after his mate died. He just willed himself to die and was a tragic scene to watch. Sorry for lowering the mood perhaps but the monkey story reminded me of what our Billy started in our house.

I know what you're up to ......you're just trying to take the focus off the monkeys eh ??? ;)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:30 AM
mattie
Posts: n/a
 
Instant??????

There are no avenues for instant enlightenment. Some may claim to be able to bestow this or sell it to others, but this is truly laughable.

Enlightenment is the result of a growth process. Others can't do this learning for us any more than they can learnt to read for us.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:36 AM
not human
Posts: n/a
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
There are no avenues for instant enlightenment. Some may claim to be able to bestow this or sell it to others, but this is truly laughable.

Enlightenment is the result of a growth process. Others can't do this learning for us any more than they can learnt to read for us.


My feelings as well ma'am ....it's a jungle out there
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 29-07-2011, 03:46 AM
sound sound is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,576
  sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentientno1

Enlightened, dunno really what that refers to... am favoring realisation simply because it sorta carries the meaning of some knowledge connection applying to life questions.

By last count i came up with 5 of them, and maybe those realisations are mistaken, each one, to be the only one, or the last or whatever. It would serve no purposful meaning to deliberately claim any realisation, so am thinking there are prolly honestly mistaken people who think they've arrived.

I agree wholeheartedly Sentient ...
I would add that it is foolhardy not to 'inwardly' acknowledge any realizations, however grand or insignificant they may appear ... experience has shown me that if i ignore my own realizations then, ultimately I am allowing myself to remain 'stuck' in that wheel rut and rendering myself unready for rounding the next bend ... how often do people hear themselves saying ' i keep making the same mistake over and over and over' ... we talk about infinite potential, which I get the feeling is far from limited in any respect lol ... maybe enlightenment comes in increments, which then begs the question, can it be decremented lol
__________________
Many footfalls hollow out a pathway ....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums