Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 24-06-2016, 02:40 AM
confusionsay

Rainbow warrior Elder, here to help...

Aniin!
way na boo zhoo! Bendigan!

N'Indizhinikaz, Doug
nindigo Anishaanabemowin, Bgizo Epichii Wasaamowin
N'indodem Nigi,
Kwa'wak awak' Hawtsaw we'
Nindoonjibah Mnido Mnising

Hi welcome.
Its traditional to introduce myself as an Anishaanabek in 4 ways.
1. my name
2. my spirit name
3. my clan or totem
and 4. where i am from. .

My name is Doug
My spirit name is "Lightning Swimmer"(loosely translated) means one who swims during a lightning storm.
my clan is Otter
and my Kwakiutl clan totem is Dolphin.(this was gifted to me from another tribal elder on the West Coast of Canada)
I am from Manitoulin Island Ontario Canada.

I am here to resolve some of the problems that I have concerns over, between what is traditional from what has been taught to me by Elders and what has not, which has been touted as teachings, and is simply new age mysticism.

I am here because I feel strongly that if we are going to know these teachings, which, btw, was taught to me, that these were given to all the Two legged, then we should get it correct.

I Grew up among the Anishaanabe. Which is the word used for three tribes of people, known as "Niswe Ishkode" or the three fires.
The Odawa, the Pottawatami, and the Ojibwe.

The Odawa were the traders, the Pottawatami keepers of the physical skills, and the Ojibwe, the keepers of the Spiritual Knowledge.

The language is HIGHLY important. To know the language is an art and it takes a lifetime to know it, many speakers are now dying off, and only about 40% of the first nations in my area speak fluently. This is changing. So...

Gawain, opeche ninitaan Anishaanabemosi,
adash, Ninga gwejitoon Anishaanabemowin.

This is a phrase as mentioned by Dan Jones, an Ojibwe teacher of the language who has taught us that even the fluent speakers will have humility,"Dbaadendiziwin" (7 Grandfather teachings), by being humble we are honouring the Wolf, and his teachings of humility, by first saying those words, which mean:

"I do not speak well in Anishaanabe, but I will do my best to speak it".

First, the language of my people and all first nations is one of the heart. It is simple. it uses no fancy words, and the words themselves hold secrets which only the speakers themselves can really know, since they in a sense encode the nature of the people and the spirituality which exists in harmony with the earth ways in the language.
To know the language is a gift from the Creator. But it is so much more which can only be understood by learning the language and you wont find the deeper meanings of the language on the internet. It has to be understood not in the mind, as the fair skinned races language does, but in the heart, with intuition. I am not fluent. But I am learning.

I am an Elder. It is my duty to help. The medicine wheel teachings are a large part of what i do. I will not get into a huge discussion of those teachings tonight, I will say that I have entered into the "north direction" Which means I am now an elder and have an eagle feather to be able to pass around the teaching circle.

A little more about me.

I am also a taoist. And I am part Irish. I have no connection to my Irish heritage. I am fair skinned. I am treated with the same dignity of a full blood. However the harsh reality of things is there are very very few maybe 5-6% of all First nations have pure bloodlines. So what we now have is a mixed lineage.

my purpose here is to help answer any questions. If I know the answer i will offer it. I will be talking more about the medicine wheel, the Four sacred medicines, the 7 Grandfathers, and the spirituality as it really is. as well I offer one great teaching/s On water, which is usually reserved for the Women of the tribe. I did not ask for this knowledge, I was gifted it by the Creator, and it is in in fact a rare teaching that some of the Elders have confirmed for me. I will be teaching this as my main path, since water is also part of my Taoist path.
Water is sick, we are mostly beings of water, and needs our help. I am pleased to pass on these spiritual things, that have been handed down throughout the ages. It is an honour.

I will be putting in the reality of what the truth is about first nations culture too because what is really left of the culture is only a faint remnant of what once was. Many of the teachings are gone. Some of them come back through dreamtime, others are lost forever, in the assimilation process.

So please feel free to laugh with me, have fun, and learn...
while we sit and hold that eagle Feather and share...

Doug
Old 24-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Suspended

You keep speling our name wrong. It is Anishinaabe not Anishaanabe for more thn three tribes. Niswa Ishko not Niswe Ishko or accurately Niswi-mishkodewin, Three Fires Council.

Won't even broach the "language". Nor many other ... things. "Nigig" indeed.
Old 24-06-2016, 01:57 PM
confusionsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrianne
You keep speling our name wrong. It is Anishinaabe not Anishaanabe for more thn three tribes. Niswa Ishko not Niswe Ishko or accurately Niswi-mishkodewin, Three Fires Council.

Won't even broach the "language". Nor many other ... things. "Nigig" indeed.
Hey- Anish-na!

It is also spelled Anishaanabe. or to represent the whole peoples- Anishaanabeg or Anishaanabek. i am sure you know about dialects. I have not come across the same words spelled the same anywhere. One dictionary might spell it your way, one my way, there is really no right or wrong way. I have seen these words, spelled uniquely in different areas. but if you want to contend with me, go take it up with the elders that have taught me.
My understanding is three- can be 'Swe, niswe, n'swe and a whole variety of different spellings. there again is no right or correct way, because the language is "sounded" not written. even the fluent speakers spell it differently, no two dictionaries that have been created have common spellings. You are correct it is 'Swe ishkode'ewin, or Niswi-mishkodewin my mistake.

three fire council though is the society, not the whole peoples.

I am guessing you are from either the Minnesota area or in Manitoba area. your dialect is not a common one in my area.

I have learned mostly from listening to speakers, so I usually dont see it written only heard spoken so there will be times, i write a word as i have heard it.
Bamaa!
Old 24-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Crosio e spiritual forums this is welcome to spiritual forums in my native language welsh,but i have Native blood running through my veins just as you do, every Nation has their own dialect and the language can also be different,i speak to many native people and they tell me that the welsh spoken word is very similar to cherokee,
i have many native friends and they all speak of the four winds having someone who can teach their ways to ordinary folk is unusuall as many tribes keep their ways only to be passed down to their own people,
im sure you will get into your stride soon enough and be helpful for the genuine ones to follow.

Namaste
Old 24-06-2016, 09:57 PM
confusionsay

Post Mnaadendimowin- respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
Crosio e spiritual forums this is welcome to spiritual forums in my native language welsh,but i have Native blood running through my veins just as you do, every Nation has their own dialect and the language can also be different,i speak to many native people and they tell me that the welsh spoken word is very similar to cherokee,
i have many native friends and they all speak of the four winds having someone who can teach their ways to ordinary folk is unusuall as many tribes keep their ways only to be passed down to their own people,
im sure you will get into your stride soon enough and be helpful for the genuine ones to follow.

Namaste

Miigwetch- thank you Brother!.

I appreciate your support because I was thinking I should just delete my thread. since people seem to not like that I openly offer this. maybe they are envious, or jealous. this comes from fear.

I dont seek glory, or fame, or status, or money. I just want to share , I share so i do not feel alone on my path.

I have been lucky to have great teachers. I have never looked for them, they ended up in my life. I honestly did not ask for this knowledge. But, I am honoured that I have been given it.

The ones who keep the knowledge to themselves are not helping keep the culture alive, they are destroying it. Keeping the knowledge is hypocritical. Many elders complain everything is dying out, yet they do not want to share the knowledge. This is fear. and it is ego.

I have been told by at least two very highly regarded elders that "these teachings are for all the two legged".

There is a document on the internet by Lillian Pitiwanikwat. She is gone now, but the reservation she is from is the one I live near. If you google the document, The first thing she says are those words- "these teachings were given to us by the Creator for all the two legged"

She was from Wikwemikong first nation. And was a representative Elder who taught all over North America.

I was also lucky enough to meet William Commanda, Kitigàn-zìbì Anishinàbeg(note the spelling) First Nation, who died in 2011, but carried the 7 prophecies wampum belt.
I had the privilege of meeting him. I knew his family. I know he would want those who have the knowledge to give it freely. I have a story about meeting him. I will share that later.

The bloodlines are no longer pure. So this is where the Rainbow warriors of the 7 fires prophecies of the Anishinaabe people, are coming forward.

I believe I might be one of the first and there will be certainly be others.

Below is a small teaching on respect.

Mino-Bmaadiziwin:

this is one of the first lessons of the 7 Grandfathers- Respect-
"Mnaadendimowin"

I have put this into my own words, as it was written on the day that I understood this lesson...

Respect- (buffalo)Respect is honouring the uniqueness in all people, and things. It is seeing others as Important too. respect means not seeking contention in all affairs, seeking not to create argument, or dogma. It is giving power to the needs of others and myself.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:35 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusionsay
Miigwetch- thank you Brother!.

I appreciate your support because I was thinking I should just delete my thread. since people seem to not like that I openly offer this. maybe they are envious, or jealous. this comes from fear.

I dont seek glory, or fame, or status, or money. I just want to share , I share so i do not feel alone on my path.

I have been lucky to have great teachers. I have never looked for them, they ended up in my life. I honestly did not ask for this knowledge. But, I am honoured that I have been given it.

The ones who keep the knowledge to themselves are not helping keep the culture alive, they are destroying it. Keeping the knowledge is hypocritical. Many elders complain everything is dying out, yet they do not want to share the knowledge. This is fear. and it is ego.

I have been told by at least two very highly regarded elders that "these teachings are for all the two legged".

There is a document on the internet by Lillian Pitiwanikwat. She is gone now, but the reservation she is from is the one I live near. If you google the document, The first thing she says are those words- "these teachings were given to us by the Creator for all the two legged"

She was from Wikwemikong first nation. And was a representative Elder who taught all over North America.

I was also lucky enough to meet William Commanda, Kitigàn-zìbì Anishinàbeg(note the spelling) First Nation, who died in 2011, but carried the 7 prophecies wampum belt.
I had the privilege of meeting him. I knew his family. I know he would want those who have the knowledge to give it freely. I have a story about meeting him. I will share that later.

The bloodlines are no longer pure. So this is where the Rainbow warriors of the 7 fires prophecies of the Anishinaabe people, are coming forward.

I believe I might be one of the first and there will be certainly be others.

Below is a small teaching on respect.

Mino-Bmaadiziwin:

this is one of the first lessons of the 7 Grandfathers- Respect-
"Mnaadendimowin"

I have put this into my own words, as it was written on the day that I understood this lesson...

Respect- (buffalo)Respect is honouring the uniqueness in all people, and things. It is seeing others as Important too. respect means not seeking contention in all affairs, seeking not to create argument, or dogma. It is giving power to the needs of others and myself.

Please continue... *grabs some popcorn*
Old 24-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusionsay
Aniin!
way na boo zhoo! Bendigan!

N'Indizhinikaz, Doug
nindigo Anishaanabemowin, Bgizo Epichii Wasaamowin
N'indodem Nigi,
Kwa'wak awak' Hawtsaw we'
Nindoonjibah Mnido Mnising

Hi welcome.
Its traditional to introduce myself as an Anishaanabek in 4 ways.
1. my name
2. my spirit name
3. my clan or totem
and 4. where i am from. .

My name is Doug
My spirit name is "Lightning Swimmer"(loosely translated) means one who swims during a lightning storm.
my clan is Otter
and my Kwakiutl clan totem is Dolphin.(this was gifted to me from another tribal elder on the West Coast of Canada)
I am from Manitoulin Island Ontario Canada.

I am here to resolve some of the problems that I have concerns over, between what is traditional from what has been taught to me by Elders and what has not, which has been touted as teachings, and is simply new age mysticism.

I am here because I feel strongly that if we are going to know these teachings, which, btw, was taught to me, that these were given to all the Two legged, then we should get it correct.

I Grew up among the Anishaanabe. Which is the word used for three tribes of people, known as "Niswe Ishkode" or the three fires.
The Odawa, the Pottawatami, and the Ojibwe.

The Odawa were the traders, the Pottawatami keepers of the physical skills, and the Ojibwe, the keepers of the Spiritual Knowledge.

The language is HIGHLY important. To know the language is an art and it takes a lifetime to know it, many speakers are now dying off, and only about 40% of the first nations in my area speak fluently. This is changing. So...

Gawain, opeche ninitaan Anishaanabemosi,
adash, Ninga gwejitoon Anishaanabemowin.

This is a phrase as mentioned by Dan Jones, an Ojibwe teacher of the language who has taught us that even the fluent speakers will have humility,"Dbaadendiziwin" (7 Grandfather teachings), by being humble we are honouring the Wolf, and his teachings of humility, by first saying those words, which mean:

"I do not speak well in Anishaanabe, but I will do my best to speak it".

First, the language of my people and all first nations is one of the heart. It is simple. it uses no fancy words, and the words themselves hold secrets which only the speakers themselves can really know, since they in a sense encode the nature of the people and the spirituality which exists in harmony with the earth ways in the language.
To know the language is a gift from the Creator. But it is so much more which can only be understood by learning the language and you wont find the deeper meanings of the language on the internet. It has to be understood not in the mind, as the fair skinned races language does, but in the heart, with intuition. I am not fluent. But I am learning.

I am an Elder. It is my duty to help. The medicine wheel teachings are a large part of what i do. I will not get into a huge discussion of those teachings tonight, I will say that I have entered into the "north direction" Which means I am now an elder and have an eagle feather to be able to pass around the teaching circle.

A little more about me.

I am also a taoist. And I am part Irish. I have no connection to my Irish heritage. I am fair skinned. I am treated with the same dignity of a full blood. However the harsh reality of things is there are very very few maybe 5-6% of all First nations have pure bloodlines. So what we now have is a mixed lineage.

my purpose here is to help answer any questions. If I know the answer i will offer it. I will be talking more about the medicine wheel, the Four sacred medicines, the 7 Grandfathers, and the spirituality as it really is. as well I offer one great teaching/s On water, which is usually reserved for the Women of the tribe. I did not ask for this knowledge, I was gifted it by the Creator, and it is in in fact a rare teaching that some of the Elders have confirmed for me. I will be teaching this as my main path, since water is also part of my Taoist path.
Water is sick, we are mostly beings of water, and needs our help. I am pleased to pass on these spiritual things, that have been handed down throughout the ages. It is an honour.

I will be putting in the reality of what the truth is about first nations culture too because what is really left of the culture is only a faint remnant of what once was. Many of the teachings are gone. Some of them come back through dreamtime, others are lost forever, in the assimilation process.

So please feel free to laugh with me, have fun, and learn...
while we sit and hold that eagle Feather and share...

Doug

Thank you so much confusionsay for this thread. I wanted for a long time to learn more of what first nations believe. I haven't had an opportunity like this so please continue sharing.
Old 24-07-2016, 10:17 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
He's no longer a member of this forum.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!