Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
nightowl

Norseman,

Quote:
Witchcraft itself, the Craft of the Wisewoman and Cunning Man, is as old as the hills themselves, being shamanistic in origin

I resonate with this statement. I know that the word shamanistic is in question as to its origin. I know when I have researched Celtic traditions I have heard differing views on this word...any thoughts?

nightowl
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Master
I dare say the word itself is questionable but not the function. Archeological evidence available from almost every culture post-ice age and surprisingly consistent. Cave painting, carved votive objects [ the domi - Great Mother, and representations of animals ]. Perhaps the Celts had become a bit more sophisticated under the influence of the druids, they could have become more animist and moved on to natural features [trees, springs, caves, rock features]

"A new name for an ancient path ?
Hedge witchery, or Hedge craft, is a kind of combination of Witchcraft and Shamanism. This Path is based on the Traditional Witchcraft and Cunning Folk traditions of Europe from ancient to modern times. It is something of an “eclectic” tradition, but just how much so depends on each individual practitioner.
The shamanic aspect being the most important, in fact to call oneself a Hedge witch is to call oneself a shaman, without having to steal a word from another culture"

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4753
Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Sungirl

Norsey ( I do hope you don't mind me calling you that).... does the "lable" Hedge Witch come from seeing your path and seeing a connection to the description of Hedge Witch... or is it a defined path where you decide to follow it and learn what is necessary?

I'm sure there was a better way to ask that....

I don't see my path as "based" on anything as I only know where the next step on the path is when my "foot has hit the floor"... I am not "driven" or even "led" in a concious way more blunder along hoping to see the signs that the guys upstairs put in front of me.... this is why I only use the term Pagan.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Time

It depends on your veiw....

THese days, anyone who is "wiccan' is a witch (rolls eyes)....

The real definition, (cut and dry), is anyone that practices anything other then monotheism. In other words, anything pagan, ie, herb lore, ritual, sacrifice, nature worship.... In the 1600s, anything that was "weird" was concidered which craft.......
Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Master
Hedge Witch is seen as Cunning Folk but in a setting more in tune with today. Just as Cunning Folk was shamanic, it is the major part of Hedge Witch. I do like the Hedge Witch path - individual, no rituals, very informal, and Nature-based. And, of course, working across the hedge [veil] exactly in line with Cunning Folk.
In the past we would bless your oxen, now we might bless your combine harvester

[ Norsey is fine Tilia Norseman is a bit pretentious really but I have used it for years ]
Old 06-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Master
Time, I regard the word "witch" much as the n-word to describe an negro person. Witch was always a christian word used to denigrate and persecute. Maybe I am wrong but it makes my teeth ache. I prefer the "old" names - Cunning or Wise Folk.

Just an add-on, Gardner regarded all initiated wiccans as priesthood.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Time

Thats sort of the direction I was going norse, but I didnt know it was that disrespectful to you. Sorry dude...

I cant promise i can change it that quick, but i can at least tell you ill try..

Sry, I personaly combine wicca with that tradition that speaks of celtic lore as if it was asian...... Its too new and misinterpreted from the original traditions, I wont dissagree with most of the teachings of wicca, I actualy agree with most of what ive read myself, I just dont like grouping something so new, with something that is much more broad then one single tradition. Im sure your aware generaly "witches" were any pagan practitioner, and that the church scaring people in to killing them was one of the final blows to paganism/the old traditions
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Master
Time, one of the oddities of the time was the position of the Cunning Folk. Originally seen as more dangerous than "witches" and attempts were made to persecute them but unsuccessfully because the countryfolk saw the Cunning Folk as "Good" and too useful in rural society. It was also said that the Cunning Folk were very good at witch finding. - cynical or what !
Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Sungirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Hedge Witch is seen as Cunning Folk but in a setting more in tune with today. Just as Cunning Folk was shamanic, it is the major part of Hedge Witch. I do like the Hedge Witch path - individual, no rituals, very informal, and Nature-based. And, of course, working across the hedge [veil] exactly in line with Cunning Folk.
In the past we would bless your oxen, now we might bless your combine harvester

Had a feeling my badly worded question would lead to an answer that wasn't quite what i was after.... I'll try again.

Did you start with Hedge Witch and fit yourself to it... or did you fit the label Hedge Witch to you? Which came first?

The reason I ask is I am never sure how people find these terms. I was told I am a lightworker by someone else and I find that the word Pagan is the best fit as it has the largest amount of room for personal interpretation.

There are those that follow a path that very clearly fits a more rigid label, such as a Druid because they take in the concept of Awen, a Heathen because they look to the sagas and norse pantheon for their path, or an initiated wiccan because they have gone down the path of coven initiation... but I find it hard to pigeon hole the rest of us and wonder how people do it.

[ Norsey is fine Tilia Norseman is a bit pretentious really but I have used it for years ][/quote]

Cool
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Master
Gotcha. As I see it, Cunning Man and Hedge Witch are identical, near as dammit ! I was training to be a Cunning Man for decades before I even heard of Wicca or Cunning Man or Hedge Witch. Comparatively recently [10 years or so] I joined a wiccan forum and an ex HPS talked to me about the Cunning Folk and, on reading up on it, there was more than a few sparks of recognition and I knew what I was. Recently, I read of Hedge Witch and got the same sparks. So, no need to fit in to Hedge Witch because I was already there. Does that make sense ? You may think I am a bit dense on these matters but I dont read much on Spirituality, it just seems to come along on it's own.