Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination

Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Solitary Faery

Question I decided to start offering readings...

Hiya everyone!

So I decided to start offering readings. I think it would be a good way for me to get more in touch with my dolphin guides as well as help others and gather good karma. What do you think? Are free readings a good idea for something positive for me to do to help others and take up some boredom time? I suffer from depression and such and so it's important that I try to keep busy and do things that help me feel better, which is usually helping other people out...

Oh yeah, if you're interested, here's the thread I posted on my dolphin channeling, card readings and pendulum dowsing sessions: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=29862

xoxo,
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Quintessence

This can be a great experience to undertake, so I wish you well on this endeavor. One thing I find useful is to have a bit of professionalism, even if you're doing things for free. For instance, it can be a good idea to make your philosophy and methods of divination known to querents, so they understand what they can expect from you. I would also always, always put in a disclaimer statement that you are in no way shape or form a professional counselor. Diviners sometimes proxy that role, but we should ALWAYS know when to refer someone to a professional and when someone's problems are over our heads.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Knower
Hi solitary faery,
congratulations on your new decision.
But as Quintessence says please dont forget to put in the disclaimer.
the forum is a great place to practice readings.However from very personal experience i think absolutely FREE lose their values. Ask them for something in return of course at your stage not money but a resiprocal reading or a healing session or whatever they can offer. I have been thru this that after all the efforts some of them dont even bother to give you a feedback..tooo disappointing and ungrateful.

I sense you are very empathetic( right spelling? empathy), so you dont forget to protect yourself before a reading since it may have neg effects on your mental health.Wish you all the best and a good start.
regards
sups
Old 19-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Iseke

Honestly, giving free readings to practice is a great way to, well, practice, because it helps you to figure out your own method of doing things without the pressure of money being involved. However, as others mentioned, don't let it be a means of devaluing your work either! It's fair to receive something in exchange like another reading or something even when starting out.

I do want to mention one thing, though. You seem a bit unsure about it, and while some doubt is always going to be there, only you can tell if you are really ready. Do you feel like it'd be a good idea? If so, have fun!
Old 19-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Saspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitary Faery
Hiya everyone!

So I decided to start offering readings. I think it would be a good way for me to get more in touch with my dolphin guides as well as help others and gather good karma. What do you think? Are free readings a good idea for something positive for me to do to help others and take up some boredom time? I suffer from depression and such and so it's important that I try to keep busy and do things that help me feel better, which is usually helping other people out...

Oh yeah, if you're interested, here's the thread I posted on my dolphin channeling, card readings and pendulum dowsing sessions: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=29862

xoxo,

I am sorry you suffer depression......been well and truly down that road, too.

If your depressoin is substantive do you really feel your dolphins, chanelling: etc advice to others will help those , the genesis of whose illness is unknown to you?

A kind thought, but remember interference can be a multi edged sword , especially when dealing with strangers......
Old 26-02-2012, 01:41 AM
LyraAlluse

Giving readings can be a good thing. I support you.
Old 16-03-2012, 05:20 AM
mastergl

It is always good to do something than doing nothing. Who knows, you may even be a subject matter expect on this in future. No harm trying.
Old 18-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Sighlense

Solitary Faery, i can relate to you very much, as i have recently decided to start giving readings (in person) and am also having trouble with the fact that i'm a little anxious to begin giving readings. The biggest advice that i can give that i have learned from other readers so far is to take your time have faith and never forget to "Have Fun" too, otherwise it will "Grow Old" very quickly. Good luck!!
Old 24-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Henri77

Excellent suggestions.
I learned to do readings in my church group, over a 20 year period , and it was a great learning experience.
The tip about professionalism is a good one.... treat each client reading as if it was a paying client, take whatever time is necessary to do your best, and it'll develop good habits.

this is the time to experiment and see what works best for you
Old 18-05-2012, 02:46 PM
antiquerose

I have never actually done readings or anything like that myself, but I think doing readings is a great idea, especially if they're free lol. And if it's what you think will make you happy, then go for it!

Of course, as someone mentioned before on this thread, you don't always have to do them for free as there's nothing wrong with asking for a little something for your services once you get really good at doing readings and whatnot. But once you do learn how to them relatively well and you want to start asking for money, I would suggest always giving new customers/clients one or two completely free readings before charging them, just so they know that they can trust you and that you know what you're doing.

I always hate trying to find someone who will do a reading for me and they won't even offer me just one free reading (with no strings attached and no question limit or time limit) so that I know I can trust them and know that they really know what they're doing and feel like they're really listening to me and my concerns and thoroughly translating what the "reading" has to say for me and giving the best advice possible. So that when I come back the next time and actually pay for the next reading, I can make sure that my money is well spent. That's really all I ask. But most people who do readings refuse to do even just one for free, and even when they say that they'll do it for free, what they really mean is that they'll do it for free for only 5 or 10 minutes, and then if the session lasts longer than that, then they start charging you for every minute over that limit. It's frustrating. I've never had a reading done before because I just don't want to waste my money if the person really doesn't know what they're doing and they're just trying to scam me. I'm not trying to sound skeptical because I do believe that there are people with gifts and/or people that are well trained in fields like this and know what they're doing, but I also know that there are also people who only pretend to have gifts and/or know what they're doing.

But anyway, do it if it makes you happy and don't feel bad to ask for something in return once you know what you're doing, but maybe try to keep what I said in mind....or not...you don't really have to I suppose lol...And perhaps I'll give one of your readings a try here soon! :)