Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 28-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
..For in much wisdom is much vexation,

Imagine you were a parent and your son/daughter was heading for a very dark place. You know it's dark because you've been there yourself and there is only one conclusion. But you can't tell son/daughter not to go there because they'll defy you and go there anyway, and in going there to spite you they'll also cut off the only road out. They'll think they're alone when the time comes to ask mom/dad for support. Your wisdom says you have to let them learn a very hard lesson for themselves and as a parent you have to leave the door open for them. That's pretty vexing.

Quote:
and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.
nightowl

Does knowledge make you any happier? Really? Take a child's perspective of the moon. There's a man in there, he's smiling down at you and you can take some comfort in that perhaps. It fires your imagination and the wonder fills your heart. But then in later Life you find out that the face is really just craters and shadows, the fun and the imagination has gone. There is no more imagination, no more 'what if' and 'could it be'. Perhaps some will say that knowledge is important but what knowledge is really important? If all of this is an illusion then all of your knowledge is knowledge of the illusion. Perhaps a knowledge of your True Self is important but is it really? Is knowing enough, or is it about understanding that True Self in the context of everything else around you? Some people have no knowledge of True Self but are happy in the exploration of what that True Self is. Ask any child who dresses up.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 AM
A. Consumer

This quote sums up my feelings on this

“Knowledge is power, those who increase public knowledge increase empowerment.” ---The Prophet of Life
Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 AM
nightowl

It has been interesting reading all your responses, and I apologize if I do not comment on each individual response...I do appreciate the interest in the thread. Sometimes I enjoy allowing them to collect as to see where it goes and very often it will bring about another question for me...

I believe that knowledge can bring vexation and happiness, life is a combination of experiences and situations and they too can produce vexation or happiness. The way that things turn out in life often depend on knowledge and wisdom or the lack there of...I also believe that there is a different view of such depending on rather one is applying knowledge and wisdom to a group or an individual, and/or from a position of authority or from one of love.

I wonder from what I have been reading here if you all believe wisdom and knowledge are one and the same?

nightowl
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Guide
Isn't that just another way of saying "ignorance is bliss"?

Prosperity is a state of mind and soul
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Master
I think that it's a reflection of the old adage of suffering to succeed and struggling to strengthen.. I've recently been trying to come to terms with that notion.. that we learn and progress mostly through negativity.. trials and tribulations being defeated to gain more triumphs.. and more challenging struggles and it goes on I guess.. is wisdom just living through it?

I was thinking about the whole people needing to suffer thing.. and about the afterlife, say it's harmonious over there, the need to suffer and advance would be obsolete. I suppose it's possible to become wise and effective solely through positivity too.. but as it is on Earth now anyways the negativity has a monopoly.. this is a bit off topic tho so I'll stop there lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentQueen
My first take was that the quote means that the more you know, the greater your responsibility and desire to fix things and make it all better.

Then again, the greatest wisdom is knowing what is yours to own. (still working on that)

I guess I was posting my vexation with the whole thing lol and wasn't even realizing my unrelated posting was really related.
knowing what to fix is one of my biggest quandaries too.. tho I guess I'm still very much at the state where I have a lot more healing to do on myself before I can go around trying to model the world into my ideal
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Master
Quote:
...For in much wisdom is much vexation,
and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ecclesiastes 1:18

nightowl

nightowl - I believe the statement to be true. Though I would much rather live with wisdom and increased knowledge than remain stagnant. It's a little bit like playing with Pandora's box - you have to expose yourself to a lot of unknown evils to get to that one hope. Vexation can be squelched through the practice of daily meditation if your consistent. As for sorrow, life is filled with sorrow but it's all about a positive attitude that gets you through it. Good question.

Blackraven
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellespirit
Isn't that just another way of saying "ignorance is bliss"?
Right. I wonder how much this is taken out of context.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Maiya

Maybe it is possible to have too much information and become overwhelmed by it, like we do when learning a new subject. We can take on information too quickly and fail it give our brain time to process it.

I don’t think the same can be said of wisdom. I think gaining wisdom and becoming more enlightened is always beneficial. I think it’s something we can have without being entirely aware of it. And it can come into use when we need it the most.