Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
It is the observation that reduces the mental dialogue and brings people to silence. The breath is used because anyone can do breath meditation at any time..

I am sure you are not saying it is the only method to reduce the mental dialogue. Breath is just one of the many methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The videos instruct to think this or visualise that mantra also requires the meditator to act volitionally. The candle or the breath is just there so no volition is required, the meditator only observes what is. I think music is fine, but it also distracts somewhat, too..

Not really true.

With the breath you are with purpose breathing in and out. You are concentrating on feeling the breath. In you nose, throat or even your belly. We are concentrating on our breath, losing it and the bring our awareness back to our breath.

It is much more than just observasional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
People usually practice meditation for a while, and it begins to pervade their life. Breath observation is the practice of mindfulness, too... whareas mantra isn't mindfulness meditation (because you do not repeat mantra all the time)

We are talking about two seperate practices. The sitting practice which is much more powerful than the mindfulness practice. It is not stressed enough the difference and the importance of the sitting practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Counting isn't mindfulness because you are engaged with the 'one two three' and distracted from the activity. Remaining aware of the actions and sensations of walking is mindfulness..

It is. To say that mindfulness is just to observe and to never engage is wrong. There are many types of mindfulness. Mindfulness of our body, physical feelings and sensations, mental states and consciousness. A great method that has nothing to do with breath and is a buddhist method is "Insight Dialogue by Gregory Kramer"

My issue if I have one is that a lot of people come here searching. Yes I have found a method that works for me. A method that is based on practices that are thousands of years old and are life changing in their effects. I get concerned when I hear people tell others to stare at a candle or to listen to music. Maybe it works I don't know. Why play around with something that has no solid method behind it. Does it have any other practices to help your meditation? If it is a solid practice then cool enjoy the changes in your life. If it is just some yahoo posting videos saying stare at a candle, listen to my binary music. Then we are doing the people here who are searching for answers a very big disservice!

P.S. Yes practicing in the morning is perfect. It sets the day up right. It is best to practice twice a day. In the morning and evening is best.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
I am sure you are not saying it is the only method to reduce the mental dialogue. Breath is just one of the many methods

Of course, one of many.

Quote:
With the breath you are with purpose breathing in and out. You are concentrating on feeling the breath. In you nose, throat or even your belly. We are concentrating on our breath, losing it and the bring our awareness back to our breath.

It is much more than just observasional

I make the distinction between observational and volitional, so volitional breath meditations are consciously controlled breathing techniques, and the observational is like noticing the breath as it is and remaining aware.

Yep when the mind wanders off, attention is returned to the breath, exactly.

Quote:
We are talking about two seperate practices. The sitting practice which is much more powerful than the mindfulness practice. It is not stressed enough the difference and the importance of the sitting practice.

I never thought meditation was important, but it is very beneficial. I usually have a set meditation session or two in a day, which helps me be more mindful throughout the day.

Quote:
It is. To say that mindfulness is just to observe and to never engage is wrong. There are many types of mindfulness. Mindfulness of our body, physical feelings and sensations, mental states and consciousness. A great method that has nothing to do with breath and is a buddhist method is "Insight Dialogue by Gregory Kramer"

I think counting is adding mental chatter to what just is. If walking, I just remain aware of how it feels in each step of walking, and that is mindful.

Quote:
My issue if I have one is that a lot of people come here searching. Yes I have found a method that works for me. A method that is based on practices that are thousands of years old and are life changing in their effects. I get concerned when I hear people tell others to stare at a candle or to listen to music. Maybe it works I don't know. Why play around with something that has no solid method behind it. Does it have any other practices to help your meditation? If it is a solid practice then cool enjoy the changes in your life. If it is just some yahoo posting videos saying stare at a candle, listen to my binary music. Then we are doing the people here who are searching for answers a very big disservice!

I trained in a traditional Buddhist tradition, and it's steeped in the thousands of years, and I take retreats for dedicated continual practice regularly.

That being said, I didn't recommend the candle, I merely mentioned that I think it's a good method of meditation. In fact, I didn't recommend anything, because people find their way, and I might lend a hand on that way, but not steer the direction.

Quote:
P.S. Yes practicing in the morning is perfect. It sets the day up right. It is best to practice twice a day. In the morning and evening is best.

Totally
Old 06-03-2014, 03:26 AM
Knower
Well, no luck tonight with my candle staring.
I don't know why this is so hard for me.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Seeker
Don't be discouraged. I struggle a lot as well, the only thing I felt actually kinda helped was the guided meditation. My plan is to continue with them for a bit then go down to just some meditation music and the eventually hopefully I won't need anything.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourmyworld
Don't be discouraged. I struggle a lot as well, the only thing I felt actually kinda helped was the guided meditation. My plan is to continue with them for a bit then go down to just some meditation music and the eventually hopefully I won't need anything.

Thanks. At least there are lots of things to try in meditation. I might try the meditation music next too
Old 06-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Knower
You're trying to teach your brain to quiet down, something that it has not been doing for a long time. Be patient and don't beat your self up, it is a learning process :)
N
“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.”

—Albert Einstein
Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Master
I think, because a lot of people say that medititation is all that, high expectations are set up. Yes, they talk of the best of the best, but don't mention the aches or itches or emotions passed. People don't mention the mundane.

The mental habit is to expect, and the 'meditation stories' set up what to expect. When the expectation isn't met, the meditator becomes frustrated and disappointed. That plays out in daily life, but it isn't much noticed, but when meditating it becomes quite apparent, because meditation is bringing a deeper self awareness, and the things people do not mention, the disappointment and frustration and guilt and uneasiness, or whatever is a hinderence to deeper contentment, is made apparent.

One thing I heard, which I liked, is meditation is like dancing in that when you do dance steps you do not step in order to go anywhere, you step for the sake of dancing.

The observational methods see things as they are, not as the meditator want them to be, so the truth of the meditator becomes clear. It's a know thyself kinda thing.