Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 13-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Knower

Physical immortality and spirituality

Everyone seems to want to achieve immortality, but if we would find a way to stop aging, what would that mean for our soul, if it exists there?

I mean, wouldnt we be "cracking" the "spiritual system"?

Arent we only just meant to live for a special period of time?

Would the soul leave the body of a person when the destined physical lifetime has been reached, even though the person is still alive?

I want to hear your opinions on this, because it is claimed that science will find a way to stop aging by 2030.
Old 13-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Eutrarius

I'm betting the "spiritual system" would be pretty resilient to things like life extension. I doubt eternity can be terribly thrown off by any period of time being added to a physical lifespan.

I don't see that we are meant only to live for a special period of time, or that we have a "destined physical lifetime". If anything an extended physical life might put us more in touch with our souls, allow us greater access to work on ourselves spiritually before discorporating and could even enhance the continuity of self between incarnation.

Oscar Wilde said, "The worst problem with growing old is that you're not old, you're still young." And how often have we all met people, or at least heard of them, who are at an advanced chronological age but don't seem terribly mature or advanced.

I don't see this as a problem, but a solution.
Old 18-11-2011, 08:38 PM
bagua7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deztini3
Everyone seems to want to achieve immortality, but if we would find a way to stop aging, what would that mean for our soul, if it exists there?

You can't, it goes against the underlying metaphysical principle of impermanence.
Old 20-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Fujiwara Kaito

That would be a good thing, as people would have literally "all the time in the world" to evolve without going through bodies.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:33 AM
mattie

Immortal Spirit

That we have an immortal spirit doesn’t mean that we don’t age. It just means our spirit survives the physical body’s death.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience." - Teilhard de Chardin- French philosopher

If we stopped aging, our soul would stay w/ the body unless other arrangements were made, like w/ a walk-in. The soul/spirit is the life force of the body, so if it left w/o another spirit taking over, physical death would occur.
Old 20-11-2011, 03:17 PM
geri

I don't think it is so much about aging as is about over coming physical death. If we can reach a higher consciousness that would inable us to really take dominion over our lives we could manifest the same kind of body that Jesus did after resurrection. His consciousness of life could not keep him in death. His spirit didn't change, His body did. He could appear and disappear with His new body.
Old 20-11-2011, 05:02 PM
CuriousSnowflake

It's inevitable that mortality will be overcome, if not through medical science then through what some call the "singularity", when computer processing power surpasses the abilities of the human brain, in approx 2045. I don't think this would "crack" anything, since such developments will always happen eventually in any sentient race; it's just part of our evolution. There will still be death, through accidents and such, but I think what will become much more prevalent is people choosing to die. Death is only scary because it is unavoidable. Take away the inevitability and the Reaper becomes a friend to those who wish to lay down the burden of life. Those who wish to live will live, those who wish to die will die, and soon I think we will realize that this thing we call "death" doesn't really exist, it's just a changing of form.

CS
Old 20-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by deztini3

I don't want immortality. I am aware that my body has its limits and things that is not capable of doing. Which pales in comparison to what my spirit body is capable of. So I wouldn't want to stay in a physical body longer than I would need to.

Would it be a good thing if our bodies achieved immortality? No, it would not. There are 7billion people on the world if we never died and kept on reproducing at the rate we are we would over tax the world and quickly use up its resources.

As for your question our soul will still exist if your bodies were still around forever. It would still do its learning in the background while we sleep. Some people believe that the greatest master were able to fill their bodies with so much light they could take their bodies with them and walk between the two worlds.
Old 20-11-2011, 11:06 PM
PanBaccha

Aging is a state of mind. I have seen women and men
in their eighties and nineties that run a marathon or
work out regularly at some sporting event. As far as
stopping the external part of the vehichle which you are
in (the body) from aging or showing its age, it is possible.
But it is not immortality. You, that aspect of the real
indwelling you, which animates the body already has
immortality. The vehicle doesn't once the occupier leaves.