Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 12-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluralone
Nothing much to add here except to say this has been my experience as well.

Good for you, wanchain, for taking the necessary steps toward healing -- and for finding your way there on your own. For me, introspective/meditative exploration and discovery provide a much deeper, more accurate focus for healing than anything coming from an external source.

I'm not knocking therapy by any means. Not everyone has the resources required for introspection and meditation; circumstances don't always allow for that, in which case therapy is a better fit. One way isn't better over the other; what works best is simply a matter of individual needs.

It is also my experience that self-awareness and introspection are the key ingredients for this kind of healing. It is a process of turning our attention inward instead of outward. Along the way, I feel an elevation of my level of consciousness as I go deeper and deeper within myself. At the same time, I also feel that I am acquiring higher sensory perception as I become more sensitive to the subtle vibrations and meanings in the different layers of my psyche.

I am actually not sure whether external help is better or not compared to self help. For me, I use my therapist as a resource or guidance. Sometimes I don't understand why something is happening to me, I talk to my therapist. But overall, I find that most of my progress was a reflection of my own effort, and any external help only serves to enforce, motivate, or guide my progress.

Wanchain
Old 13-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanchain
Oh, it sounds like you use several different methods to help remodel your neurological pathways. I thought about that recently, because I feel that my progress is slow, and there is a big mountain for me to climb, so I was thinking perhaps it's time for me to shop for some other tools or maybe my healing efforts.

Hmm ... yes, I didn't come across this term neuroplasticity until now, but I know what you mean. I started my neurological remodeling last year, and I can feel the old pathways burning away--light buzzing sound in the head, burning or tingling sensation in my body, etc.

Wanchain
That sounds great! Glad to hear things are happening. Yes it does take time, the key seems to just be to keep on using our therapies and tools, and slowly things change. But I think some therapies can speed up recovery a little faster because they get to the heart of things, where the trauma is in the body, like the new therapies that are being used for developemental trauma that I mentioned.

Yes I try to find whatever works the best and use it. Also I've heard good things about Holotropic Breathwork and will probably try it soon. It's becoming more popular among therapists and seems to heal the deepest wounds. Also I think healthy, supportive relationships are powerful for healing, like with people who have been through alot of healing themselves. Also there's Neurofeedback which is having great results in studies, shown to be better than medication for PTSD, but may be too expensive for me right now.
Old 13-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Master
Quote:
It is also my experience that self-awareness and introspection are the key ingredients for this kind of healing. It is a process of turning our attention inward instead of outward. Along the way, I feel an elevation of my level of consciousness as I go deeper and deeper within myself. At the same time, I also feel that I am acquiring higher sensory perception as I become more sensitive to the subtle vibrations and meanings in the different layers of my psyche.

Very well said, and timely for me.

Quote:
I am actually not sure whether external help is better or not compared to self help. For me, I use my therapist as a resource or guidance. Sometimes I don't understand why something is happening to me, I talk to my therapist. But overall, I find that most of my progress was a reflection of my own effort, and any external help only serves to enforce, motivate, or guide my progress.

Wanchain

Yes, we best approach from different angles, and it sounds as though your therapist understands their role properly.
Old 13-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
That sounds great! Glad to hear things are happening. Yes it does take time, the key seems to just be to keep on using our therapies and tools, and slowly things change. But I think some therapies can speed up recovery a little faster because they get to the heart of things, where the trauma is in the body, like the new therapies that are being used for developemental trauma that I mentioned.

Yes I try to find whatever works the best and use it. Also I've heard good things about Holotropic Breathwork and will probably try it soon. It's becoming more popular among therapists and seems to heal the deepest wounds. Also I think healthy, supportive relationships are powerful for healing, like with people who have been through alot of healing themselves. Also there's Neurofeedback which is having great results in studies, shown to be better than medication for PTSD, but may be too expensive for me right now.

I googled up on Holotropic Breathwork and Neurofeedback just now. You are right that the latter is expensive, since it uses an equipment (and a person trained to operate it). The breathing technique may be a more practical option for me too. I think I have been doing the breathing part already, as I do get releases like convulsion or trembling, yawning, very guttural exhalation, shedding tears, salivating, buzzing in the head, release of body heat, etc. But I didn’t try drawing or any kind of artistic expression after the breathing. Usually I sleep after the breathing maybe because my body needs to switch to a deeper level of relaxation to continue deeper repair work.

I find that sometimes my dreams are a release of emotions too, not negative or toxic emotions, but some things that I haven’t fully processed during my waking hours, my psyche processes them during my sleep. Those are not related to trauma, but because I become more and more lucid as I progress in my healing, I become more conscious of what my body is doing when I sleep.
Old 14-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Master

Quote:
I googled up on Holotropic Breathwork and Neurofeedback just now. You are right that the latter is expensive, since it uses an equipment (and a person trained to operate it). The breathing technique may be a more practical option for me too. I think I have been doing the breathing part already, as I do get releases like convulsion or trembling, yawning, very guttural exhalation, shedding tears, salivating, buzzing in the head, release of body heat, etc. But I didn’t try drawing or any kind of artistic expression after the breathing. Usually I sleep after the breathing maybe because my body needs to switch to a deeper level of relaxation to continue deeper repair work.

I find that sometimes my dreams are a release of emotions too, not negative or toxic emotions, but some things that I haven’t fully processed during my waking hours, my psyche processes them during my sleep. Those are not related to trauma, but because I become more and more lucid as I progress in my healing, I become more conscious of what my body is doing when I sleep.
Sounds like powerful releases! I believe we're on our way towards much peace and relief. I'm getting intense feelings of striking out in the limbs during EMDR sessions with my therapist, and I noticed since I started EMDR people say I'm different, more at peace. Also I just started IFS but it's amazing so far, I'm getting curious about the parts and I can tell it's really stirring them up. I just take it at my own pace and don't try to rush.
Old 15-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Sounds like powerful releases! I believe we're on our way towards much peace and relief. I'm getting intense feelings of striking out in the limbs during EMDR sessions with my therapist, and I noticed since I started EMDR people say I'm different, more at peace. Also I just started IFS but it's amazing so far, I'm getting curious about the parts and I can tell it's really stirring them up. I just take it at my own pace and don't try to rush.

Yeah, I was also surprised by the violence of the energy that comes out. And the releases felt like it was never-ending which is almost hard to believe. But I suppose it makes sense, because the trauma did not happen in one moment but over a few hours as I was trying to get down the ski mountain. So perhaps the energy was repeatedly compounding in my body.

Hmm ... I don't see much improvement in my behaviors, maybe because my violent releases are mostly related to the physical trauma. I do feel that I am more tolerant of the cold weather, which is quite an odd change, but what was in my body's memory was the cold on the ski mountain, and now I shook it off, I don't mind winter as much.

My improvement on the psychological trauma is also very subtle. I think because I am taking a long time to re-write my neurological pathways. But in general, I am more relaxed. Although I don't feel big differences in myself, I feel it in the people I interact with. They seem less uptight, less anxious, less worried, etc. around me. I think it's because I am emitting a different "vibe" now.
Old 15-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yes, we best approach from different angles, and it sounds as though your therapist understands their role properly.

Yes, my Rosen Method therapist spent a long time healing herself, so she understood the healing process intimately well.

I think I am starting to understand why I need external resources (people, books, etc) to help me with my healing, even though healing is a self journey.

The other day I was reading a book by Peter Levine on healing traumas, and I read about "resources" and I think I am beginning to understand why I was already out of my body since I was very young even though I could not recall any traumatic event. I think it was because I never received the love, joy, warmth, and other emotional nourishment that most people had, so when I encountered a minor challenge, it was too catastrophic for me to process, like trying to lift weight when you have been starving for days.

Wanchain
Old 15-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Master

Quote:
Yeah, I was also surprised by the violence of the energy that comes out. And the releases felt like it was never-ending which is almost hard to believe. But I suppose it makes sense, because the trauma did not happen in one moment but over a few hours as I was trying to get down the ski mountain. So perhaps the energy was repeatedly compounding in my body.

Hmm ... I don't see much improvement in my behaviors, maybe because my violent releases are mostly related to the physical trauma. I do feel that I am more tolerant of the cold weather, which is quite an odd change, but what was in my body's memory was the cold on the ski mountain, and now I shook it off, I don't mind winter as much.

My improvement on the psychological trauma is also very subtle. I think because I am taking a long time to re-write my neurological pathways. But in general, I am more relaxed. Although I don't feel big differences in myself, I feel it in the people I interact with. They seem less uptight, less anxious, less worried, etc. around me. I think it's because I am emitting a different "vibe" now.

I don't experience the changes directly after trauma releasing, but it seems to happen some time after. I heard somenoe else say that too, it might have been Peter Levine not sure, that it works like that. Also I don't notice big changes all of a sudden, it seems to happen slowly over time. I don't really even notice it myself, other people have to tell me. But if I try hard to think about it, yes I am much calmer than I used to be. I used to be terrified pretty much all the time, now it is much less. Also I've separated from all the abusive people in my life and I'm not constantly being retraumatized. I don't think about how much has changed, I just keep pushing forward, but if I really think about it, I guess it is pretty dramatic. I guess the message is, keep it up, it's worth it.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Ascender

Quote:
I don't experience the changes directly after trauma releasing, but it seems to happen some time after. I heard somenoe else say that too, it might have been Peter Levine not sure, that it works like that. Also I don't notice big changes all of a sudden, it seems to happen slowly over time. I don't really even notice it myself, other people have to tell me. But if I try hard to think about it, yes I am much calmer than I used to be. I used to be terrified pretty much all the time, now it is much less. Also I've separated from all the abusive people in my life and I'm not constantly being retraumatized. I don't think about how much has changed, I just keep pushing forward, but if I really think about it, I guess it is pretty dramatic. I guess the message is, keep it up, it's worth it.

Hmm ... okay, that's really helpful! You pretty much described my experience.

As for unhealthy human relationships, do they include your family? I have altered the quality of my relationships with some people, and I have removed myself from the ones that I find un-rescuable. But for family, I notice that they have changed, to some extent, but still not enough to maintain a supportive and meaningful relationship.

Wanchain
Old 16-01-2018, 03:04 AM
Master

Quote:
Hmm ... okay, that's really helpful! You pretty much described my experience.

As for unhealthy human relationships, do they include your family? I have altered the quality of my relationships with some people, and I have removed myself from the ones that I find un-rescuable. But for family, I notice that they have changed, to some extent, but still not enough to maintain a supportive and meaningful relationship.

Wanchain
Yes it included family. It was one of the big steps in my healing journey. It's seems to be a big part of alot of people's recovery who have developmental trauma. No one told me to do it, it was a natural part of the process. It's difficult though and I'm glad I had support from my therapists, recovery friends and people on the internet.