Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 23-04-2018, 05:57 AM
Ascender

Hello all. A very quick post to say that I have no idea how the symbol attached to my previous post on this thread got there. Perhaps I pressed/touched something accidentally?--or perhaps it is another of life's mysteries! What does the symbol signify?--My knowledge and infrequent use of such things is limited to the common smiley smiley. petex
Old 23-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Lorelyen

As we develop spiritually (to me, the core of self-development) dishonesty and deception become less relevant. An individual's lies and deception are usually to cover up their failings in some way, to deflect blame. We avoid these by admitting to the failing and taking the blame. There's no shame in that.

But as usual, questions arise. Is breaking a law of which you fervently disapprove or circumstances for you, dishonesty? It depends on your motives. Is "being diplomatic" to avoid an unnecessary confrontation (or simply to avoid hurting someone's feelings) deceit, when you gain nothing from it? Is stealing dishonest when you haven't realised you're stealing (like people who charge their smartphones at the office?)

But for most who aim to lead a spiritual life we develop a moral code. We become our higher principles. It usually includes there's no need to be dishonest or deceitful.

It sometimes poses a quandary here. When asked to comment on a posters' problems or woes, should we be true to our opinion and say what we think "from our hearts" or should we say what we think the person wants to hear or what people would click the "like" button for, were it social media? Some people are happier with the latter because it fits with their agenda. If we believe they are victims of delusion, a diplomatic path is probably appropriate. Is that deceit?

Old 23-04-2018, 10:32 AM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello all. A very quick post to say that I have no idea how the symbol attached to my previous post on this thread got there. Perhaps I pressed/touched something accidentally?--or perhaps it is another of life's mysteries! What does the symbol signify?--My knowledge and infrequent use of such things is limited to the common smiley smiley. petex
There's a box below the yellow reply box titled, 'Post Icons' - you must have accidentally clicked on the angel icon (that's what that pink thing is above your post).
Old 23-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Suspended
deception! disgrace!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwulXTGhKU
Old 23-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
It sometimes poses a quandary here. When asked to comment on a posters' problems or woes, should we be true to our opinion and say what we think "from our hearts" or should we say what we think the person wants to hear or what people would click the "like" button for, were it social media? Some people are happier with the latter because it fits with their agenda. If we believe they are victims of delusion, a diplomatic path is probably appropriate. Is that deceit?

Reading between the lines is an important skill to have, I think, if you read a post in a very surface sort of way then the chances are that you're going to miss the point, you're not going to be able to penetrate to the heart of the matter and there's a fair chance that you'll simply end up generating unnecessary friction. Sensitivity is hugely important, obviously, as is the ability to empathise, and whilst sometimes it's necessary to be frank, in other instances it would be more beneficial to take a more diplomatic approach.
Old 24-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity

I always ask myself when such happenings occur is any part of the message elevated that seems more a communication then a statement. Their signature to.
Old 25-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Reading between the lines is an important skill to have, I think, if you read a post in a very surface sort of way then the chances are that you're going to miss the point, you're not going to be able to penetrate to the heart of the matter and there's a fair chance that you'll simply end up generating unnecessary friction. Sensitivity is hugely important, obviously, as is the ability to empathise, and whilst sometimes it's necessary to be frank, in other instances it would be more beneficial to take a more diplomatic approach.

Hi ya,

Yes, replying sometimes means walking a fine line. I’m ok as long as not expected to be insincere or outright dishonest. But I hear what you say and now leave threads alone where integrity doesn’t allow me to respond "from my heart" without risking someone's feelings. My hand is always there to help someone back to their feet if they want it, but if they want to wallow in their plight, I can’t feed them – because I know it’ll worsen their situation.

I post a lot less here now, tailing off gradually. I’m unable to contribute anything of substance re latter day spirituality. It’s losing cohesion. Much on the web is fraudulent and counterproductive - doesn't stand up to critical examination. It encourages cop out rather than coagula. Bad in a way because some people do fall for it. But...they're entitled to their beliefs and particularly self-development and they'll eventually find out whether it works for them. I sadly reflect at times the number of names that bring a problem or a question here then disappear all too soon. Have they found their answer...or given up because they've led themselves down a blind alley?

Why do I stay around? This forum has taught me three very large lessons so it seems only fair I try to give something back where I can. I’ve been through a lot (of spiritual exploration) and there are just times I might add something. I’m no adept. I’m no theoretician either. “Spiritual” has to add practical value to daily life as much as long-term evolution. Ok about deep trance but my feet are never far from the ground.

Hence sitting out more than in!
Old 25-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Master
This is a good thread with subtle complexities in q & a....I have some thoughts I'm still gathering...

But I wanted to ask:

Lorelyen, what are the 3 big things you got from your time on SF thus far?
Just very curious If it's ok to ask & if you'd rather not share, then np!

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 26-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Lorelyen

No, share I will as you've asked and trying to make them as succinct as I can.

1) That my “spiritual” drive began a lot earlier than I thought, probably as early as 7 or 8 when I knew I couldn’t mould myself to what my birth parents expected. (Quite some fallout from this, explains how I coped with being a social misfit in early teens. Probably still am. LOL)

2) The value of unconditional love.

3) The dangers of falling into the trap of telling emotional lies. It’s the worst kind of delusion. When knowingly and involving other(s) it borders on what I’d call unnecessary evil. Some web “spirituality” junk actually encourages it. I know/knew it happens but the forum gave me a perspective of the damage possible to self and others. It's deterred me from expressing emotions with words. Instead, turning to acts and creative things. Also inspired my interest in the neurophysiology of emotions, attachment and the social brain generally. I believe it'll yield at least some answers.

I've learned a fair bit more of course but those seem developmental!

Pax tecum.

Last edited by Lorelyen : 26-04-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: rewrote 3) - didn't sound right.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Newbie ;)

Deception is allowing a weak part of ourselves to overcome what should be the strongest part. I think making a decision to be honest with yourself and others is a fundamental step in living a spiritual life.

Truth is a strong force, it's much better to align yourself with it than to make an enemy of it.