Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 16-10-2017, 02:01 AM
Kioma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
The standard is being awake. Everyone has the potential, yes, but it's not awakened in everyone.
That just shifts the definition. What is 'awake'?

Same questions, different word.

Old 16-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivatar
The standard is being awake. Everyone has the potential, yes, but it's not awakened in everyone.
Spiritual, enlightened and awake can mean anything people want it to and who sets the standard? It's not as though there's some kind of central body who hands out certificates. What is your definition of being awake and what does it mean to you?

To me, Spirituality is how I experience my being and not about theories, and sometimes I find more Spirituality atop a hill than in a YouTube. 'Awakened' is past tense but awakening is a present, on-going experience and while I don't declare myself as awakened (anyone can do that) I ask myself what I am awakening to. Much more revealing.
Old 16-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
Dear friend

I doubt that very much, but also understand why and respect why you would want to conceptualize it in that bucket - it makes the rest of your argument more congruent with yourself
For as much as anyone would call themselves Spiritual and anything else, we're all still subject to human nature and that includes the gurus. Had it not been for any guru's followers he would have never gained any notoriety.

Quote:
And this is where you really reveal yourself. The use of the word "enlightened". It's not a myth or "understanding" - and given that this is a spirituality forum, it seems relevant that people understand that enlightenment isn't just a slogan or myth.

As to the only game in town, not at all, there's poker down the street for one
Perhaps I do reveal myself as much as you do. But who sets the standards of what/who is enlightened, where is the objectivity? And when it becomes of the ego?

Quote:
That's not my statement.

Jesus: seek and ye shall find (another presumedly Fandom Master for some).
As to whether Jesus actually existed or not is still a moot point, and I'm sorry but I don't have much respect for a religion that changed his birthday for their own political ends.

I am seeking and still finding, that there are things more Spiritual than Spirituality, there are things more enlightening than enlightenment and we're not awake but we've chosen to forget.
Old 16-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Suspended
Ascender

That's fine Greenslade, Everyone has their own path. I "believe" only because I have seen and tasted the fruits of these teachings. Were it not so, no-one could have made a believer out of me. With respect.

As to enlightenment/Awakening/Nibbana/Heaven on Earth - all these are just conjectural terms - until someone realizes them for oneself (not as a belief or opinion or kindred thought, but as an experiential realization)

What I do find comfort in, however, is that - within the major traditions - whether it is Sufism, Mystic Religions, Buddhism and the like, the "words" used to express ('point to the moon') are then all aligned.

It's like having tasted tea of a certain flavor, people come back and speak of it, and use the words and context they have. Having tasted that tea, there is only the nod of acknowledgement.

This is why I don't believe there is any difference in what enlightenment/Heaven on Earth/Kingdom of God within/Nibbana/Truth and Wisdom ACTUALLY is.

Distilled down across major traditions, they are one and the same - Gnosis.

This is why, in my opinion, following the path/pointers/hints/techniques taught by major traditions is not a bad thing whatsoever. Spiritual thrillseekers - whom seek experiences, magic, a thrill ride - are contrary to that. Not that there is anything wrong with it either.

As a last point, I would add in case there is any doubt, that I am not highly enlightened or Awakened. Nor am I in any special category, but what I do know and have experienced is the indomitable Truth of what Masters such as Buddha and Jesus taught - it is truly real, it is actually beautiful, and it is possible - above all.

A wandering soul

PS I also concur that spirituality is not for everyone, many people live whole fulsome lives painting, living, being caretakers, working jobs, taking care of families, going for a hike. But as this is in theory a spiritual minded forum, I speak of these things and take my leave herein.
Old 17-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
A wandering soul
And some Souls wander in contrariness just because they can, yet they can agree from an opposing perspective.

The seeker is always that which is sought.
Old 17-10-2017, 04:36 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
And some Souls wander in contrariness just because they can, yet they can agree from an opposing perspective.

The seeker is always that which is sought.

I said the same to Gem yesterday. Be well
Old 17-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
[/b]
I said the same to Gem yesterday. Be well
Buddha himself said that if you meet a guru in the street you should kill him, and you should question everything. I'm a sceptic and I like to understand what I'm buying into because there are so many contradicting beliefs/truths 'out there', and the truth is relative to one's perspective. And yes, it is about Gnosis.
Old 17-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Master
Quote:
Buddha himself said that if you meet a guru in the street you should kill him, and you should question everything. I'm a sceptic and I like to understand what I'm buying into because there are so many contradicting beliefs/truths 'out there', and the truth is relative to one's perspective. And yes, it is about Gnosis.

The quote regarding killing the guru you meet on the road Greenslade comes from Zen Master Linzi Yixuan not the Buddha, it's a Koan...
Old 17-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The quote regarding killing the guru you meet on the road Greenslade comes from Zen Master Linzi Yixuan not the Buddha, it's a Koan...
Thank you, and in my defense my head leaks.
Old 17-10-2017, 12:28 PM
Master
Quote:

On the other hand, Gotama the Buddha taught discernment and skepticism.