Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 29-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Master
when I first started reading and hearing about "enlightenment" I wanted to get there so bad. I think we all do. I read forums and books and could never really understand what everyone was talking about.

About a year ago it all just clicked in. I finally understood a lot of it. No bells, whistles or ribbons lol. But I do have to say, it gives me peace.....(most of the time)

zipzip
Old 29-07-2011, 03:16 AM
cheeky_monkey

Quote:
I know what you're up to ......you're just trying to take the focus off the monkeys eh ??? ;)

What do you mean? I am one of the monkey's, and one of the most enlightened monkey's too, cos i also cook the sweet potatoes first, lol. Now wait till they cotton on to that!
Old 29-07-2011, 04:19 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip
when I first started reading and hearing about "enlightenment" I wanted to get there so bad. I think we all do. I read forums and books and could never really understand what everyone was talking about.

About a year ago it all just clicked in. I finally understood a lot of it. No bells, whistles or ribbons lol. But I do have to say, it gives me peace.....(most of the time)

zipzip

I wonder though if you can take a correspondence course in enlightenment, you know kind of fit it in around your busy schedule. Maybe at the end of it you would get some sort of diploma or a trophy. When you go on job interviews just whip it out & cream the opposition. I'm with you zip zip my experiences of awakening are nowhere near special, its not like you look & see what you've gained it's the exact opposite.... another peel off the onion.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Master
Well i don't know what enlightenment is, but I do know that not that many years ago I was there and next I was gone, just disappeared, there I Realized that I was One with all that there is, everything was answered in that moment. I didn't know what happened to me, but later when reading some book, by Tolle I think ?, I then applied the label, Enlightenment, or awakening, but I do know that the labels are not what I experienced, but its the only language I know to point one to what I experienced.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:31 AM
not human

I see the trend is coming from the West for quickie enlightenment. As much as it appears transparent, it is symbollic. Obviously based on supply & demand. However it is significant that it comes at a time of collapse of the systems that have sustained society for decades.
I see on a basic level that regular people are starting to question the cycle of work / earn / spend / repeat. It might be my whacked sense of humour but it seems ironic to market something that allows you to release from attachments. But my thoughts are better baby steps than cot bound. Gosh it's a crazy old world.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:47 AM
cheeky_monkey

My knowledge on this subject is zilch. I have no contemplation what it feels like to be enlightened or even if my statement is contradicting myself. I believe there are monks who spend years meditating and are able to achieve enlightenment and perhaps 'ordinary' folk who become in a state of realisation of creation etc but INSTANT enlightenment surely doesn't exist? or am i being arrogant because i havent experienced it?
Old 29-07-2011, 04:48 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Well i don't know what enlightenment is, but I do know that not that many years ago I was there and next I was gone, just disappeared, there I Realized that I was One with all that there is, everything was answered in that moment. I didn't know what happened to me, but later when reading some book, by Tolle I think ?, I then applied the label, Enlightenment, or awakening, but I do know that the labels are not what I experienced, but its the only language I know to point one to what I experienced.

Hey Slice...if we are going to use words & I guess it's helpful I would favour realization or letting go. Mines been a gradual shift & finally making way for a massive collapse. Much akin to an earthquake. But at the end of the day a very personal experience that as soon as you try & describe it you dishonour it ( that probably makes sense to you ) That connection you mentioned has never been a part of my experience but then again I don't seem to have these big awareness shifts just gradual movement.
Old 29-07-2011, 04:54 AM
not human

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
My knowledge on this subject is zilch. I have no contemplation what it feels like to be enlightened or even if my statement is contradicting myself. I believe there are monks who spend years meditating and are able to achieve enlightenment and perhaps 'ordinary' folk who become in a state of realisation of creation etc but INSTANT enlightenment surely doesn't exist? or am i being arrogant because i havent experienced it?

I have the same attitude as you the only reason I even mention it is because I find it interesting that all this is coming at this time.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by not human
I have the same attitude as you the only reason I even mention it is because I find it interesting that all this is coming at this time.

One view of history is that Science and Rationality emerges against the backdrop of the tyranny of the church (religious institution), but the pendulum swung to far, science has gotten away from studying our ordinary common experience. Now that Science is so specialized into the investigation of the invisible, men are left confused about how to understand their ordinary experience. This has become fuel for a revival in fanciful mysticism and religiosity. Any little tickle of the nervous system can get a cult following around it.

I think, especially with the internet and global communication, people are curious about what possible experiences are out there to be had. The problem is that they've left their common sense at the door and are taking people at their word and not checking to see if the person is lying or even speaking accurately and with understanding.

There are no institutions which teach people common sense and how to investigate one's experience through skeptical inquiry. Our public schools are more interested in pacification and uniformity, creating cogs for society.
Old 29-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Master
yea I think I may have had small shifts without realizing that they were shifs, because at this time I knew nothing at all about all of this so called enlightenment stuff ?.