Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Within Silence
Thanks for sharing the video. Wise words from Puppetji!

Subtle is the key word, I think its seemingly complex, but in actuality its so simple that it's almost impossible to see. In other words, seeing what is is really not difficult or complex, what's complex is the dropping of all the conditioned thoughts preventing the seeing. I think the most difficult part is the discipline required to quiet the monkey mind in order to allow the "seeing" or awareness to happen.

I'm not sure about the principle of quietening the monkey mind, and I prefer to think in terms of gaining insight into its operation. In this we already run into a contradiction because the former principle suggests taking some measure of control over ones thoughts (quiet them), while the latter principle, is essentially, coming to a realisation about the nature of the mind. What we call 'seeing' is in one sense the observation of, but in a more profound sense, it is the realisation of something, like, "ah, I see".
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm not sure about the principle of quietening the monkey mind, and I prefer to think in terms of gaining insight into its operation. In this we already run into a contradiction because the former principle suggests taking some measure of control over ones thoughts (quiet them), while the latter principle, is essentially, coming to a realisation about the nature of the mind. What we call 'seeing' is in one sense the observation of, but in a more profound sense, it is the realisation of something, like, "ah, I see".

I think we're on the same page, just using different words to point to the same thing so to speak, such is the limitation of language. As I see it, the discipline to quiet the monkey mind is not an attempt to control it, but to observe it, and it is within observation that insight into its operation happens, awareness of its operation is observed. Hence, one "re-cognizes" or apperception happens and thus one real-eye's-is one is conscious awareness............

Like muddy water must be left alone (ignored) so that all "impurities" can settle down to the bottom, hence leaving clean/clear "water" in its original state, so does the mind require the same methods of purification. If the "water"-mind is stirred up then so are all the impurities, the more its stirred and the more impurities present, the longer it may take to return to its natural state.

When the silent observer can simply watch and allow any thought to stream across the screen of mind, without being moved by it or judging it in any way, then one gains control over its life in profound ways. This at least has been my experience and I cannot know if its the same for everyone.
Old 31-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Master
Greetings and Namaste.

In both Hindu and Buddhist traditions alike, they seek to get rid of this thing called "ego"...problem is, they require the "ego" to get rid of the "ego".

For ages I tried that...ages...long time...

I couldn't understand why they still referred to 'self' as being 'self' both before process and after process.

I couldn't understand how the 'I am that' still involved an "I" as well as the relationship to 'that'...I couldn't get over the barrage of all these personal pronouns that were being used in all attempts to 'lose the ego'.

It's all well and good to say "I am God" but there's still the "I" and there's still the "God" or to say "I have lost my ego" when there's still the "I" and there's still the "loss"...I just couldn't work it all out.

In the end, people who were talking about losing self to find self or becoming the "I" as opposed to the "I" they already were, just sounded like blah...blah...blah.

All I know (I am using personal pronouns to speak to you all) is that when Siva IS, I am not and when I am, Siva is not...maybe it's a simplistic way of putting things, but then again, I was never really all that bright.

Bright enough to drop Advaita Vedanta and go back to embracing Tantric tradition again though. ;)

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 13-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Experiencer
I will use the quotes of Alan Watts to express how I see it;

“Only words and conventions can isolate us from the entirely undefinable something which is everything.” – Alan Watts.

“[Our ego] is composed of our image of ourselves, as when we say to somebody, you must improve your image. Now, this image of ourselves is obviously not ourselves any more than the idea of a tree is a tree.”
Old 21-06-2016, 01:05 PM
boshy b. good

ego 'is' fuss, yup,

eagle (steady'd boxed is out mix for mentol health),
~~~~~~
ego it's the thought process
~~~~~~
of about to in found a broader walk,
~~~~~~
you decide to let light in your awesome eye plus
~~~~~~
as of thought, whatever this

i feel that

Last edited by boshy b. good : 21-06-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 21-06-2016, 06:26 PM
boshy b. good

( ego )

it's nobody's fault. ego and course is nobody's fault,
Old 10-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Experiencer
I highly suggest everyone here read The Power of Now and A New Earth by Ekhart Tolle. Those two books provide many answers and questions alike, about the ego, about the self, about consciousness, about Being.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Pathfinder

How about using instead of "good & bad" useful & useless - and if it just be for a change of perspective?
Old 14-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
A few replies have gotten it correct. Ego is the I and we all have an ego. An -verse, and that - verse ego, in of itself is not a problem, or unhealthy.

When the - verse becomes a problem, and that can occur to various degrees-- ex narcissm{ Trump? } --then others may make comments regarding anothers ego being a problem and leading to unhealthy circumstances of existence, or communication, or whatever.

Where I come into contact with ego being most problematic, here at SF, is when the -verse{ ego } blocks others from truths--- and many times obvious truths ---which truths care derived from our observations and rational, logical common sense deductions thereof.

When the ego creates mental blockages to truth, then it is time for this communication....'uhh, Houston( NASA ), we have a problem'..... imho

r6

My issue w/SF are talking heads who ignore the realities & circumstances in life. It is a mental blockage to truth ...
As well as those who are trying to intellectually exert their ego that often times results in isolation, disconnection or limits them from normal contact & conversation w/people ...
Its tiresome ...

As for the subject, people with a healthy ego/self esteem do not suffer from depression as well as psychopaths which is altogether another subject but relevant as an example of an unhealthy ego ...
From childhood parents are teaching their kids how to fearlessly take on challenges to prepare them to fly out of the nest
Ego/self confidence is necessary as well as recharging it to maintain motivation & a healthly outlook on life ...
During our life, we learn humility in order to calm a strong ego for proper use, most notably, when competing for position on the food chain ...
Buddhist monks, priests, nuns, clergy also compete for jobs through ego/confidence & knowledge of their religion ...
Old 14-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
"Houston I have a problem"

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rac...p=framed-print

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
A few replies have gotten it correct. Ego is the I and we all have an ego. An I-verse, and that I-verse ego, in of itself is not a problem, or unhealthy.
When the I-verse becomes a problem, and that can occur to various degrees-- ex narcissm{ Trump? } --then others may make comments regarding anothers ego being a problem and leading to unhealthy circumstances of existence, or communication, or whatever.

Where I come into contact with ego being most problematic, here at SF, is when the I-verse{ ego } blocks others from truths--- and many times obvious truths ---which truths are derived from our observations and rational, logical common sense deductions thereof.

When the ego creates mental blockages to truth, then it is time for this communication....'uhh, Houston( NASA ), we have a problem'..... imho

r6

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman