Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 24-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Newbie ;)

Question questions about Taoism

Hello friends : I made a similar thread about Buddhism , but here I`m asking about Lao Tzu philosophy :

1- Is there a God in Taoism ? or can we consider the Tao as a God since every thing came from the Tao ?

2- What is the Ethical reference in Taoism ?

3- I there a certain way to meditate ?

4- What is there after death ?

Hope to hear from you ...
Old 24-05-2019, 10:24 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues235
Hello friends : I made a similar thread about Buddhism , but here I`m asking about Lao Tzu philosophy :

1- Is there a God in Taoism ? or can we consider the Tao as a God since every thing came from the Tao ?

Taoism is a bit of a different animal.
The Tao Te Ching starts out by warning that anything you say or think about the Tao is not the true Tao. Much of the book then seems rather strange and obtuse. While I can't say I understand everything that is in the book, I can say that most of what I feel I do grasp is not something I can put into words. So, any answers to your above questions are to some extent going to necessarily be off. The text is very indirect and I suppose necessarily so as it seems to seek to convey what cannot be conveyed in words or held in thought. All I can say is each time I read it I feel I understand it a bit better, but perhaps it is just me slipping slowly into insanity. Who knows? Finally, there is Taoism the religion and the philosophy (for lack of a better word) of the Tao and depending on who you ask they may not be the same thing.

http://daily-tao.blogspot.com/2011/12/verse-1.html
Old 25-01-2020, 07:46 AM
Experiencer
Tao just is; there's no good way to consider it because it is non-dualistic. It can only be done in the poetic way that the Tao Te Ching does or other writings that don't go directly at what it is ("The Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao", etc.). But it encompasses everything

?

There is no one way to meditate. Taoism would emphasize that this is still a matter of determining what sort of practice best suits an individual, even though there are general concepts that facilitate the process of growing into a meditation practice. If you're looking for suggestions, let me know?
Generally, being present in this moment is what matters, whether you're in sitting meditation or not

Phase change? Returning? Lifting of the veil? Wholeness? Merging with the Tao?
What is there now, even? At a certain point, things like time and having a body become more trivial.
Old 25-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues235

1- the Tao is a type of God although life force may be a better description. An almighty power but an impersonal power that may be harnessed but not petitioned.
2- Taoism has the same/similar 5 precepts as Buddhism.
3- there's many different ways to meditate and they're all good, find the style that suits you best, a small disclaimer, this is my opinion only.
4- like any other religion/philosophy any sort of life after death is purely speculation.
Good luck and best wishes.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:15 PM
Newbie ;)

Hello Blues -
In response to # 4 - What is there after death ? , I provide writings from Chuang Tzu on topic of death - interpretation is yours to discover:

Upon hearing of the death of Chuang Tzu's wife, his good friend Hui Tzu went over to comfort him and found the sage sitting on the ground banging on an overturned pot and singing a song at the top of his lungs.

Horrified at such behavior, Hui Tzu reproved him, saying, 'This woman has lived with you, borne your children, grown old with you and now she has died. It is bad enough not to be weeping at this time but to be out here banging on a pot and singing is too much!’

Chuang Tzu replied, 'You are mistaken my friend, at first I could not help but feel sad and depressed at my beloved wife's death. But then I began to reflect. In the beginning, she had no life, and having no life she had no spirit, and having no spirit she had no body. But then she was given life, she was given a spirit and then she was given a body. Now things have changed again and she is dead. She has joined the great cycle of the seasons. Now she lies suspended between heaven and earth. Why then should I weep and moan over her. It would be as though I did not understand the process of life. Therefore I stopped and decided to celebrate.
Old 31-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Master
[quote=blues235]Hello friends : I made a similar thread about Buddhism , but here I`m asking about Lao Tzu philosophy :

Quote:

The Tao is emptiness, much the same as Dzogchen in Buddhism

Quote:

Much the same as Buddhism, read the TTC and you will see.

Quote:

Depends on the tradition.

Quote:

Much the same as Buddhism
Old 01-04-2020, 08:08 AM
ant

Hey jonesboy,

What have you concluded on your path?

In terms of direct experiencing.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elabr8Aspie
Hey jonesboy,

What have you concluded on your path?

In terms of direct experiencing.

That the path is much longer and deeper than people think.

The path can be beyond wonder and have periods of seeming to be in hell when one holds on to attachments.

I really don't feel comfortable saying oh look I have achieved this state of being. There are so many people here who think they have achieved or arrived. With such things there is a simple test.

If the realization is only in ones head and can't be directly shared with another it is only local mind.

True depth is when it can be shared, silence, energy, bliss, etc..

I have been able to directly share it with others for years... but I am still far from being a Realized Immortal..
Old 03-04-2020, 10:30 PM
ant

Thanks for your reply jonesboy.: )
Old 05-04-2020, 12:20 AM
Master
Any time :)