Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-01-2020, 07:01 AM
janielee

Oops, Double post.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:04 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
If you choose to.

Buddhism is about practice and seeing for yourself through experience, Christianity is about blind faith..... Very different

Both Buddhism and Christianity are based on translations that can be mistranslated.

Believing in a translation that is mistranslated is in of itself blind faith for both religions.

Chuckles, I thought you were familiar with a Buddhism, but then you’re actually a Christian too really. I assume you married a lovely woman who comes from a cultural Buddhist backgroun, which is wonderful by the way. Congratulations.

Translation? I remember the last time a competent translator ie Shivani Devi offered to correct you, and you went through the roof.

There are many who no longer need the words, John, you misunderstand who you are,

Jl
Old 26-01-2020, 07:06 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
' ...
Buddhism is about practice and seeing for yourself through experience, Christianity is about blind faith..... Very different.

I know this is a Buddhism forum, but your statement is so "amusing" for its bias, to use a kind qualifier ... It is like the dismissive statements made by those adept to scientism.

Both, Christians and Buddhists, in the same degree, experience whatever they believe! All experiences are subjective.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:07 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Perhaps it’s more like,

What is consciousness as specified in dependent origination?

What do you think it is?

I'd just make it easy and say it's ego. Consciousness + delusional self.
Cessation - ego goes away, delusional self goes away, not consciousness.
Consciousness is me, the life force, which is eternal.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
I see a lot of posts in this thread where posters are saying other posters mistranslated something. If you believe what posters post here, Buddhist teaching is constantly being mistranslated.

You don't have to believe what others Post, it's best to find through practice what works and what doesn't work then you know for yourself what direction to follow.

It's interesting to read the Translations of others but that doesn't mean the same applies to you personally.....
Old 26-01-2020, 07:10 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan

Both, Christians and Buddhists, in the same degree, experience whatever they believe! All experiences are subjective.

To be fair there are Christian mystics and contemplatives, but mainstream Christianity is largely a belief based religion today.

Buddhism otoh is entirely, apart from culture based countries, a practice based religion. This is how the Buddha taught - Kalama, raft, eightfold, Nibbana, freedom. It’s all oriented to knowing for oneself.

Btw did you ever apologize to Jyotir for s******ing at BigJohn’s incorrect assertion that slavery has been in America for less than 100 years?

Jl
Old 26-01-2020, 07:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan

I know this is a Buddhism forum, but your statement is so "amusing" for its bias, to use a kind qualifier ... It is like the dismissive statements made by those adept to scientism.

You believe what you have experienced through practice not what you read.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:13 AM
janielee

Quote:
I see a lot of posts in this thread where posters are saying other posters mistranslated something. If you believe what posters post here, Buddhist teaching is constantly being mistranslated.

It’s pretty simple, the teachings, but what has been mistranslated?

Isn’t that person that’s been whinging about words/translations your good self?

Jl
Old 26-01-2020, 07:18 AM
janielee

Quote:
What is consciousness as specified in dependent origination?

What do you think it is?

I'd just make it easy and say it's ego. Consciousness + delusional self.
Cessation - ego goes away, delusional self goes away, not consciousness.
Consciousness is me, the life force, which is eternal.

I understand what you are saying but there is more to it than that. I gave you the definition but you prefer yours, whatever, I don’t really care but know this, the Loka Sutra is accurate. You think Buddhism is just discovering awareness? Pff.

Jl
Old 26-01-2020, 07:21 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Go study how consciousness comes about,

Can you tell me how you think it comes about using only English words?
That would be interesting if you could do it.