Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Tai Chi & Chi Gong

Old 06-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Guide

Tai Chi & Qigong with a motor control disability.

Hi there. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was born with dyspraxia -- a problem with motor control.

It's not a disability that takes away energy or strength to be suffice. It has more to do with control. This is probably why growing up playing volleyball, I kept making it so the ball is thrown all the way to the high ceiling instead of being vollied forward.

I also have a problem with body awareness, so if I close my eyes without checking on my body parts visually, I'll probably have more trouble than the average human being. Also, I'm bad at balance -- which much of these practice trains -- especially when I'm anxious.

I tend to be slower to figure out where my body parts should go during these exercises. I often do repetitive or similar movements (Ex. fidgeting) to feel "safe" because new movements freak me out easily. And with the many memories of being absolutely terrible at P.E or physical education class growing up, I get anxious.

It seems like these practices would help me physically and emotionally. So I thought I'd try it out.

Uhh . . . help?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerendipityLizard
Hi there. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was born with dyspraxia -- a problem with motor control.

It's not a disability that takes away energy or strength to be suffice. It has more to do with control. This is probably why growing up playing volleyball, I kept making it so the ball is thrown all the way to the high ceiling instead of being vollied forward.

I also have a problem with body awareness, so if I close my eyes without checking on my body parts visually, I'll probably have more trouble than the average human being. Also, I'm bad at balance -- which much of these practice trains -- especially when I'm anxious.

I tend to be slower to figure out where my body parts should go during these exercises. I often do repetitive or similar movements (Ex. fidgeting) to feel "safe" because new movements freak me out easily. And with the many memories of being absolutely terrible at P.E or physical education class growing up, I get anxious.

It seems like these practices would help me physically and emotionally. So I thought I'd try it out.

Uhh . . . help?

Yes you can only try. Qigong would be perfect for you but I'm not sure about Tai Chi which is a lot harder to practice. Try Qigong and see if you enjoy it and cope with the moves, I'm sure you will be ok if you look for a slow Form. If you need any advise I will try and help, mybe you can find a class you can attend which would be even better but if you can't I would be happy to try and help you. I have been practicing Qigong and Tai Chi for 20+ years and now teach. I am not very informed on the practises which have been altered and adapted for the West but the authentic Chinese Styles I do know. PM me if you need help and good look in starting..
Old 06-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Master
https://youtu.be/V6kNW504Jjs

Try this Form.
Old 31-12-2019, 04:01 AM
Guide

Be patient and accepting with yourself and you can go far. Rather than thinking you've got a movement wrong, just accept this as one step along your journey. Qigong takes a long time to develop.