Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 21-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Niebla0007

Good question, for reaching for one.
I am not the shaman to answer that either - as I would not want to be one,
neither is there a demand for a shaman in the place where I live in
but is rather really short of doctors and nurses though.
My interest simply led me to learn about Shamanic Practice as I want to put some of it into practice.
I do not see anything wrong in getting in touch with the shaman at my dreams, it's just a way of learning something.

Old 22-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Am I right with this? This is what I always thought a Shaman was...

A Shaman does not decide to become a Shaman. You don't just decide to become one. A Shaman is chosen to be one, by the spirits.
There is the survival of some life-threatening event -either a near death experience, or a grave illness, something pretty serious. This could also be a mental illness, or breakdown, so I have heard.
The survivor receives the spirits' help in overcoming this event, and gains the confidence of the spirits, and partakes in spiritual knowledge and awareness, may be able to access knowledge of healing etc. or restoring balance and health to people, animals, or the community, by asking the spirits to help. He/she is a go-between for the spirits and spiritual realms, and the people/tribe/community.
He/she then lives in service, using skills gained for the good of the community, group, Earth life in general, etc.
This is a life of self sacrifice. No romantic "trip" at all.

Exactly, Tobi. By this definition, you can't deem yourself a "shaman".

The only caveat is that nowadays, there are no shaman left to "train" others. I just think we might call them something else. I have a revulsion to taking titles I'm not sure I "own".

Lora
Old 22-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Master
The above descriptions and toss in a lot of other things too having to do with working with energy - both earth and cosmos based, walking between worlds, working with and sharing with humans in 'other timelines new to the ability/awareness path', talking with animals and trees/plants, working with specific earth energies and the elements of earth, following energy signals through the etheric layers, removing unwanted spirit to realms more suited to them....and so on. The possible permeations seem restricted only by imagination and lack of fear to assist.

Lately I've been thinking if there was a description for what I've become it would be something like mystic shaman....then again....
I suspect many who just 'are' in the awareness wouldn't label themselves as it might have limitations and that seems like an even better thought line to hold if one must hold a line of thought that is. =)
Labeling restricts imagination, so it is only useful for so long as it inspires creative solutions and thinking, then should be discarded before it becomes a constraining trap.
Mystic, Shaman, Healer, Druid, Monk, Priestess, Psychic...so many fun costumes to wear to the Ball of All That Is!
Have a diverse wardrobe I say!
Old 22-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Master
Or no wardrobe.

Lots of labels for someone who feels they restrict imagination, Crystal!

lol.

Lora
Old 22-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Draenevyre

I've been having callings to shamanistic information as of late, and the thought has crossed my mind. I'm just afraid that the thought is imagination, not a message from spirits. :/ I have to overcome my self doubt before I can really find out...
Old 22-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Master
The point was - they can also enhance it if used in small bits. Changing ones mind mid stream is amusing =D

Sometimes we take ourselves so seriously we forget to have fun....moderation in all things, even our own spiritual search. After all even refusing to label can become a dogma repeated often enough...

It had suddenly reached a personal saturation point. What point is there in creating if we can't enjoy the process?

This is Fun Week for me....... a bottle of levity makes the pilgrims path more palatable =D
Old 22-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleWalker

The only caveat is that nowadays, there are no shaman left to "train" others. I just think we might call them something else.

Lora

Hi Lora. I would argue that the shamanic path, whatever you call it, is not a path to be taught. It is a path to be experienced and it takes decades.
The Cunning Path and it's present incarnation [Hedge Witch] are solitary paths, rooted in the Earth, and journeys to the Spirit world to commune with ancestral spirits at the heart. Thirty five years experiencing and I still gain new experiences even now.

much more here http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4753
Old 22-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Paci Bera

And yet one can call himself a Shaman or whatever, the spirits will accept it as everyone can become one.
Old 22-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paci Bera
And yet one can call himself a Shaman or whatever, the spirits will accept it as everyone can become one.

To spirit, you can say anything. I just question why it is that people insist on labeling themselves as shaman to other people. I can see saying you are following a shamanic path. But the word has specific meanings. And if I'm correct, real "shaman" didn't/don't call themselves that.

Maybe it's my thing. I also cringe with ones who name themselves Enlightened One or Teacher of All!

Lora
Old 22-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Master
"the spirits will accept it as everyone can become one."

That is a crucial point, Paci Bera. Without the approval of ancestral spirits, it is meaningless. One of the key shamanic skills is the ability to "cross the veil" or [my preference ] "Stride the hedge". Lately, I am coming to the realisation that the key to unlock that door is NOT in our mundane world but rather in the Spirit World. Thinking about that, it is just common courtesy that you do not enter anybody's "house" without being invited.

Now Lora, define "real shaman" In my book, a shaman is a servant of Mother Earth. What's in your book ?