Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 13-07-2012, 09:36 AM
hasbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
1. What are any distinctions between Christianity and the New Age Movement?
I think one of the main differences between Christianity and The New Age would probably be focus. But even that may not be accurate, because both movements have such huge variations. I was raised with "New Age" philosophy by my parents, but later became attracted to Christianity after hearing about Jesus teachings. I discovered very quickly that what passes for Christianity in the 21st century bears little or no resemblance to what Jesus actually taught and practiced. I think Jesus very much focused on practical Love and action, and not so much on theory. IMO both Christians and New age people tend to focus too much on theory instead of the practical issues of loving each other.
I liked what Mayflow said earlier that there should not be any difference between sincere seekers, whether they be "Christian" or New age.
Quote:
2. How do they relate to each other? Do they contradict each other or compliment each other?
I think Christianity focuses more on recognising our problems and actively making changes, whereas New Age philosophy is more like "just flow with the universe, everything is as it should be" even when things are obviously going wrong!

Quote:
3. I often find that Scriptures must be reinterpreted or rejected in order to conform with New Age thought. So the next question is, how do you determine what Scriptures are to be rejected and which ones are to be supported? An example of this can be found in John 14:16.

I assume you are talking about John 14:06? Which is a verse frequently quoted by fundamentalists in order to cut out "unbelievers" from salvation.
However there is a possible alternate interpretation which is more universal, which is that while Jesus is "The Way" and that does not mean that people necessarily have to know that he is the way, in order to walk through it.
You see the Bible talks of Jesus dying for the whole World.

Quote:
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Luke 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

Maybe everyone who loves is "saved" already?

Quote:
Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this [is] the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second [is] like, [namely] this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

When people naturally do these things, do they really need to know the theory?

Quote:
John 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
(11) These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and [that] your joy might be full. (12) This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
1John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and knows God. (8) He that loves not knows not God; for God is love.

1 John 3:17 "whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
(18) My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth".

Probably too many quotes. Sorry. But I guess I'm just trying to get the point across that Jesus was teaching all about love and people who take his name and don't give a **** about anybody else do not really represent him.

Quote:
4. Do you consider yourself a New Age Christian? If so, how do you distinguish yourselves from "conservative" Christians? And if you are a Christian how do you distinguish yourself from New Ageism?

I don't think I need to. We are all seekers on a journey together. Organised religion seems to be more about political power and control than really finding enlightenment. Jesus taught that in order to be "great" you must become the servant of all!

Quote:
5. How do you handle arguments in reference to scriptural meaning, that is when encountering the other side, Christian or New Age?

Not sure how to answer this question. It seems very broad. I think I would need to look at each "argument" independently.

Quote:
6. Last Question, as a New Age follower who do you draw from as your most inspirational author? example Shirley Maclaine. Same question to Christians, I'm looking for Authors of an extrabiblical nature.

Tolstoy, Mohandas Gandi. ??
Old 13-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Sybilline

Hehe I have been thinking about how to reinterpret that verse from the Bible but I cannot, and this is because of "EXCEPT through me." Apart from that I agree with the rest of the verse.
Old 13-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Master
Boundaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
  1. What are any distinctions between Christianity and the New Age Movement?
  2. How do they relate to each other? Do they contradict each other or compliment each other?
  3. I often find that Scriptures must be reinterpreted or rejected in order to conform with New Age thought. So the next question is, how do you determine what Scriptures are to be rejected and which ones are to be supported? An example of this can be found in John 14:16.
  4. Do you consider yourself a New Age Christian? If so, how do you distinguish yourselves from "conservative" Christians? And if you are a Christian how do you distinguish yourself from New Ageism?
  5. How do you handle arguments in reference to scriptural meaning, that is when encountering the other side, Christian or New Age?
  6. Last Question, as a New Age follower who do you draw from as your most inspirational author? example Shirley Maclaine. Same question to Christians, I'm looking for Authors of an extrabiblical nature.
Tee, you know, the "Ego" is caught up with "labels".
And, we can see if we study, that Ego is to be equated with the devil.
What caused Lucifer to rebel, after all...

Now, we might also percieve that Ego is related to the survival instinct of this carnal and physical aspect, in, "the world". Which, isn't as real as we percieve it to be.
The greater reality and Truth being Spirit, and, the timeless.
That which is apart from, "Space/Time".

It had been stated and recognized by scientists that with the onset of Quantm Mechanics, and Physics since Einstein, that, Physics, has become "Meta-Physics", and boundary lines fade between them.

So too is it with what one might label, "New Age", regarding the mystical aspects of the Bible, and it's teachings concerning the things coming to Light, today, with the knowledge being revealed to us.

Christ says to us in Revelation:
"I am the root and offspring of David, and, the Bright and Morning Star."

Nothing changes regarding that. He is still the author and finisher of our faith, the Alpha and Omega, and His return to the world, and rule, is imminent as prophecied, and, as is all too evident in the world today, regarding signs.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 13-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Master
perhaps the main delineation between the Christian rendition of "God" and the New Age rendition of "God" is in that Christianity has defined and identified "God" (and allows for no other concepts outside their definition's parameters) while New Age tends to have an open door policy when it comes to defining and identifying "God" via personal symbolism and concepts.

Christianity can fit into New Age but it seldom works visa versa.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:20 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbean
John 14:06? Which is a verse frequently quoted by fundamentalists in order to cut out "unbelievers" from salvation.
That probably depends on your perspective or the delivery method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbean
However there is a possible alternate interpretation which is more universal, which is that while Jesus is "The Way" and that does not mean that people necessarily have to know that he is the way, in order to walk through it.
You see the Bible talks of Jesus dying for the whole World.

I see your point and you're basically saying people who consciously choose to not accept Jesus as their Lord by having Him Lord over their lives can come to His Father.

I enjoyed reading your input hasbean, and if it wasn't for being short on time I'd very much enjoy engaging with you in conversation. Take care...
Old 13-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Occultist

Aradia was composed by a American folklorist Charles Leland that was published in 1899.
Its accuracy is disputed by many Witches and no it is not our bible.
He was what I believe to be the foundation of Gardenarians, He claimed Witches as "good" and "noble" followers of the goddess Diana. He even spoke about English Gypsies aka Travellers. I am a Gypsy and I can assure you that his claims are un true and very unsettling to the Gypsy and Witches.
About the only truth in that book is when he states witches dont worship satan. He was also trying to draw a comparison between Witchcraft and Christianity. That confuses me to no end because Witch does not include a deity. Many Witches have personal beliefs in a deity but those are there own and not of the Craft itself.
I personally respect all religions and imo would find it sacrilegious to tear away at something as personal as a belief system and try to make it fit with my personal beliefs. But thats me and thank you Syb for your patients on my questioning and openess to share yours with me.
We all see things in different ways. I am just asking from my own personal view points.
Old 13-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Occultist

Seawolf this is so true "In Christianity you can't see the similarities between yours and other faiths, you'd rather focus on the differences."Look at all the pagan things Christians has picked up along the way and yet many not all fail to even see that.
Old 13-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Sybilline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultist
Aradia was composed by a American folklorist Charles Leland that was published in 1899.
Its accuracy is disputed by many Witches and no it is not our bible.
He was what I believe to be the foundation of Gardenarians, He claimed Witches as "good" and "noble" followers of the goddess Diana. He even spoke about English Gypsies aka Travellers. I am a Gypsy and I can assure you that his claims are un true and very unsettling to the Gypsy and Witches.
About the only truth in that book is when he states witches dont worship satan. He was also trying to draw a comparison between Witchcraft and Christianity. That confuses me to no end because Witch does not include a deity. Many Witches have personal beliefs in a deity but those are there own and not of the Craft itself.
I personally respect all religions and imo would find it sacrilegious to tear away at something as personal as a belief system and try to make it fit with my personal beliefs. But thats me and thank you Syb for your patients on my questioning and openess to share yours with me.
We all see things in different ways. I am just asking from my own personal view points.

Hey Occultist, wow I honestly didn't think the book was that old!!! I guess I thought it was the Witches bible because the (online) source that I saw it in said so... Sigh... Internet...
Old 13-07-2012, 07:57 PM
TeeHee

Some see only similarities, others differences. Some can't see black and white and therefore only see in grey, when black and white distinctions are no longer apparent they appear superficial and fuzzy.

It is easy to see things in such a superficial way. On the surface we can distinguish what appears different or so similar. With only superficial knowledge these differences and similarities are only trivia.

Thanks for your input Seawolf and for listening to my thoughts in response.

Last edited by arive nan : 17-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 13-07-2012, 08:38 PM
merrie

I think New Age and Christianity are the same and yet different. Christianity draws the line by saying that Jesus is God. If you know Jesus, you know God. They are one and the same person. You must accept Jesus as God incarnate. That is when the comparison is over....

Because God is a jealous God, he demands full allegiance. You are not to question his word. As far as delving into New Age practices, it is forbidden because those are considered areas of darkness, where we may encounter things we cannot handle.

Is today a new frontier for learning about metaphysical aspects to enhance our understanding about God? Is it wrong to want to embrace creation in all of its magnificent wonders? Is learning about auras and chakras to help others evil? Is using the universe tools to help others, such as Reiki evil?
Is the study of "energy" itself evil?