Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 22-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace733
Thank you for this thread. I too have been through a lot in my life and have a very hard time forgiving... hmm, actually that is not the problem persay because if those that hurt me asked for forgiveness or even acknowledged their wrong doings, i would let it go and forgive instantly... but i have a hard time letting go of some things that have been said and done. I ask for spiritual help on this all the time as the will to let it go is there. The words given in this thread really struck a chord with me, thank you for them. I am working very hard on this as i want to heal.

Thank you Solace733. You bring up an important point re. being unconditional in forgiving, meaning no expectations from the other person. This would certainly be Christ-like, something to aspire to. Think of all the revenge acts, wars, that could be avoided if governments practiced unconditional forgiveness. You're certainly not the only one who feels like that or struggles with it. I believe in karma and I know that if I can forgive, I create good karma, while the other person who is not asking to be forgiven, is creating their own bad karma. That, at least, helps me feel some compassion for them. Knowing that justice will be served helps.
Old 22-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
What's the secret of forgiveness? Is it even achieveable? I would appreciate any sharings on the subject.
We don't have within ourselves the ability to forgive as God wants us to. Before we can forgive others we must first receive God's forgiveness for the sins we have committed.
As the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Colossians 3:13 ESV

Old 22-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Thank you Solace733. You bring up an important point re. being unconditional in forgiving, meaning no expectations from the other person. This would certainly be Christ-like, something to aspire to. Think of all the revenge acts, wars, that could be avoided if governments practiced unconditional forgiveness. You're certainly not the only one who feels like that or struggles with it. I believe in karma and I know that if I can forgive, I create good karma, while the other person who is not asking to be forgiven, is creating their own bad karma. That, at least, helps me feel some compassion for them. Knowing that justice will be served helps.

Very true, and very good point

"you know that you have found your passion when your love for it overrides any fear to attain it..."-Solace
Old 22-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus
We don't have within ourselves the ability to forgive as God wants us to. Before we can forgive others we must first receive God's forgiveness for the sins we have committed.
As the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Colossians 3:13 ESV

Thank you Theophilus, there is a lot of wisdom in that teaching. Does God need to be asked for forgiveness? I am thinking of the prodigal son.
Old 22-05-2011, 11:34 PM
aser's homie

Forgiveness should wrap around me and you as fundamental like using the rest room because that is a good weapon the devish doesn't want us to know how to handle properly, because that is the envelope that says we are fine and can make it through.

Forgiveness has it's juices of nourish and taste that anyone can find the quality in within.

Forgiveness is the law so sweet, forgiveness is why the little boy had confidence. Forgiveness is why the little girl felt pretty.

I made peace with Jesus Christ the other night, I always cared to respect jesus but was drawn away from revering him by his 'human side/true side' in my more advanced level. Now I just like him because I saw the statured child in jesus like never before.
Old 23-05-2011, 12:16 AM
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
What a wonderful quote! Thanks for sharing jjj It says that there is a component to forgiveness that is a longing to change the past, and living with "what if" and all the self-blame/guilt tripping that goes with it. So that tells me there giving "myself" may need to be part of forgiving the other. It makes sense...

Maybe we can come up for some affirmations or prayers for this

Good idea. Something to the effect of "I live today with a conscious awareness of the gifts around me." or "I give thanks for all of the wonderful things that are drawn into my life." or "I am fully responsible for my feelings and release everything that is no longer mine.", "I now release all that no longer serves me."

We all do what we can with the tools that we have at any given time. Sometimes horrible things are done because people don't have the tools to handle things any better. It DOES NOT mean condoning these acts or saying, "It's OK". It's not OK, but it is healthy for my soul to let go of that which does not belong to me.
Old 23-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Thank you Theophilus, there is a lot of wisdom in that teaching. Does God need to be asked for forgiveness? I am thinking of the prodigal son.
Jesus Christ came into the world to make it possible for God to forgive us. The reason this was necessary is that God is holy and just and these characteristics mean that he must punish sin and all of us have sinned by violating his commands. But Jesus, who was sinless, died to pay for our sins. If we put our faith in him God accepts his death as the penalty for our sins.
But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe.For there is no distinction:for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Romans 3:21-26 ESV

Here are two sites that will explain in more detail what you must do to receive God's forgiveness and will show you how to live for God afterwards:

http://www.backtothebible.org/Indexes/index.php?option=com_mosforms&Itemid=180

http://carm.org/jesus-saves
Old 29-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Bluegreen

Sorry, Theophilus, I do not think that we must first receive God's forgiveness before we can forgive others. It would be more believable if what you say means that we must first forgive ourselves before we can forgive others.

When I read all the answers by Christians on the forum, I cannot but wonder whether they go to the Bible at every turn instead of listening to their conscience, the little voice that tells us whether what we are about to do is right or wrong.
Old 29-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
I heard a quote on Opray that I liked: "Forgiveness is finally giving up the hope that the past can be changed."

I've been thinking about this quote for a bit. I've come to the conclusion that I disagree with it. We can change the past by changing how we remember it.

Here's an example, we can change the passing of a parent from a horrible event in which that parent died, to a joyful event in which that parent is reunited with everyone who has gone before. That horrible event of years past has been transformed into a joyful event.

Anything is our past can be changed.
Old 31-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
When I read all the answers by Christians on the forum, I cannot but wonder whether they go to the Bible at every turn instead of listening to their conscience, the little voice that tells us whether what we are about to do is right or wrong.
Our consciences tell us that we should do what is right but we need the Bible to tell us which actions are right and which are wrong. If we have been misinformed as to right and wrong our consciences can be deceived into promoting wrong instead of right.