Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 13-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal68
Im still finding it all hard to believe. I think the materialist conditioning of past years has done a good job. I mean, how can you exist when there is no longer a body??!! It seems impossible that a disembodied mind can still function?!!

I see the brain as nothing more than an organic antenna. Humbly I submit to you how does a TV signal exist with out the TV?

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has not overcome them.

-- Carl Jung
Old 13-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Ascender

I don't understand that; are you meaning traits passed on in DNA? They pass to the living yes but the dead aren't still sentient and alive as a result of this
Old 13-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVI
I see the brain as nothing more than an organic antenna. Humbly I submit to you how does a TV signal exist with out the TV?

In that instance the signal is said to still be in transmission; the signal still exists without the tv but the tv gives it the opportunity to manifest itself.

The brain maybe gives the same opportunity; without it we only exist as random data streams with no individualisations ie dead for all purposes.

Do we regain subjectivity at some future point? maybe but not with any trace of ourselves left
Old 13-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
I don't understand that; are you meaning traits passed on in DNA? They pass to the living yes but the dead aren't still sentient and alive as a result of this

I don't know, some suggestion has been made that DNA carries a certain sentience. I suppose If I were to reverse engineer the whole thing ( and that would take some doing) I would arrive at the conclusion that life is living through you.

I know that the individuals came to the end of their span but a part of them remains in us on a cellular level, It's how we came ito being.So It's a given we have their cellular memories at least.. It's not such a great leap for me then to suggest that we may carry other kinds of memory other than cellular. Memories we can at times access.
Old 13-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Ascender

That still doesn't mean they have any subjectivity though? Would be an interesting thought if at death their consciousness somehow entwined with their living childrens. Then again, I wouldn't want my mother looking through my eyes at some of the internet sites that are a little less spiritual

Id be knackered too as I have no children!
Old 13-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
That still doesn't mean they have any subjectivity though?

I knew it..You were gonna get me anyway. So peeling back the lid on this particular can of worms..Some Quotes for you.

"That was so out of character"
"He's not been himself recently"
"I don't know what's gotten in to her "

I am not suggesting for One moment you became any " dead person ".

I am not a betting fellow but if I were I'd say you are most certainly not the same person you were 10 years ago.

So if we broaden that a little to further exemplify the multi faceted and fluid nature of us.

When I am relaxing , I can be said to be quiet different from the concentrating me that is not to say we are all multiple personality , but If we skip from states of being so fluidly and easily, I think they our forebears must have done too.

It feels like, and I hope I am not stretching this too much, that the only part of a person that ever dies is their body.
Old 13-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
I knew youd swoop in to offer hope, I totally get you WG but I also think of all the billions who have already gone and yet none have returned to offer real concrete evidence. Surely there should be something more tangible?

Hey friend...

What in your mind do you feel would meet your standard of proof or criteria for establishing this assertion?

Other questions I would offer are valuable to extensively ponder and ruminate on would be the mind-numbing question of why does anything that you observe with your physical senses exist at all? Where did it come from and where does it go when it ceases to be present/detectable to your physical senses? To my knowledge no scientists have devised a way to violate the Law of Conversation of Energy. If we perceive that a form of energy exists within living things/beings - where does it go when the physical form perishes? It can't cease to exist and deteriorate into nothingness - can it? While we may not have any concrete answers to these questions - I think you can sensibly arrive at the awareness/perception that everything you observe in this physical Universe must have come from somewhere - it must have originated from some source or let's say unfolded from some higher level of reality (existence) that is not detectable from the vantage point of our physical senses. If something exists, can we say that there must be some purpose for its existence? It didn't come from nothing, for no reason/purpose, and then turn back into nothing - right? I think when you marvel at the profoundness of these implications it is not so unbelievable or unfathomable to consider that these physical forms you observe with your physical senses were not the starting point of your existence (as you know it) nor will theese physical forms be the ending point of that exists...

Back to your original question - perhaps the energy that you know as the consciousness (or soul/spirit) of those living 'beings' that have physically perished is currently existing in a form that makes it extremely difficult to appear or make its presence known to those who are still experiencing this state of physical embodiment... To take it a step further - perhaps there is a higher purpose being served by your very experience within this physical dimension and that more tangible proof/evidence that you wish for would somehow hinder or interfere with that plan. If we had access to all of the answers from this position or vantage point - that might defeat the very purpose of why our reality is structured/arranged/organized the way it is.
Old 14-12-2015, 03:36 AM
Master
Quote:
As I always say, I fear the brain; without it we may be nothing at all.

How is it possible for many people without a brain to function normally.
And there are many.
Old 16-12-2015, 04:47 AM
Knower
Holy cow! This thread got so many more responses than I thought it ever would! Wow, I'm still going to need to take some time to process this. I'm still, in a way processing a very recent NDE I had earlier this year. I find that A LOT of what you are saying correlates to my inner intuition, as well as the guidance from my guides, as well as advice from my former shamanic mentor. I definitely need to think on this one, because there is so much I have to say, and yet it hasn't formalized into words yet!
Old 16-12-2015, 04:52 AM
Deactivated Account
Would love to hear about your NDE if/when you feel you're ready to speak about it... This subject matter was one of my primary fields of interest when I was going a lot of seeking/searching/exploring years ago. Always nice to hear first-hand accounts...