Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 14-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Master
That is pretty sad.

Thank you.
Old 14-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
That is pretty sad.

Thank you.

I don't view it as sad at all. It's just different. I'm personally a non-dual monist as well. But what works for one doesn't work for all. We've all experienced the world from a duality view at some time on this long road to moksha.
Old 14-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Suspended
A Buddhist has nothing to do with the Vedas. They are not part of Buddhist doctrine at all.. In fact, there are a number of teachings in direct opposition to Buddhism.

The Upanishads (later part of Vedas) have a closer affinity to sramana traditions and there are some overlaps there with Buddhism.
Old 14-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsoul
A Buddhist has nothing to do with the Vedas. They are not part of Buddhist doctrine at all.. In fact, there are a number of teachings in direct opposition to Buddhism.

The Upanishads (later part of Vedas) have a closer affinity to sramana traditions and there are some overlaps there with Buddhism.

I don't personally know a single Hindu than believes Buddhists fit under the Hindu umbrella, but I suppose there may be some. The very very universalist leaning souls probably think EVERYBODY fits, but that's rare.
Old 19-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran65
Well, I saw something tonight that listed Hinduism as polytheistic, which always greatly irks me--but then I wondered, are there Hindus out there that consider it that? What do you guys say?

I was brought up with the idea of one God--there is just God--the ultimate one. There are, of course, an incredibly number of other representations, any number of them. But there is really only one God.

My son and I have had many discussions of this, because it can be very confusing. I was brought up Vaishnavite, worshiping Lord Krishna (see, I can't even say his name without putting "lord" lol). But I converted to Shaivism while studying religion, mainly Hindusim, in my 20's--and my extended family was so strict, the majority of them stopped speaking to me because of it! But that is how strongly I felt about it. And yes, I still believe in the one main god, but Shiva gives me an inner peace I cannot begin to explain, from the first time I studied him. So, even though I know he is not the same as "God", he is more meaningful to me than I can say. As are so many of the others! (Ganesh is another fave!)

Anyone else?
Hinduism is Monotheistic but we are portrayed as Polytheistic.
All the Gods we worship are various forms of the same God.
Different sects of Hinduism have different beliefs on who the ultimate God is.

ISKON and many other sects take Krishna to be the ultimate God. Vaishnavites believe that Vishnu is the ultimate God while Shaivite believe that Shiva is.
You can take your pick!! They all love and care for you :)
Old 19-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Seeker

Hinduism is Monotheistic but we are portrayed as Polytheistic.
All the Gods we worship are various forms of the same God.
Different sects of Hinduism have different beliefs on who the ultimate God is.

ISKON and many other sects take Krishna to be the ultimate God. Vaishnavites believe that Vishnu is the ultimate God while Shaivite believe that Shiva is.
You can take your pick!! They all love and care for you :)
Old 19-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Guide

Not all Hindus are monotheistic. Yes, some are. Henotheism is also in there a lot. One of the major problems with the portrayal of Hinduism is to speak from one sect or sampradaya as if it is representative of all of Hinduism. OurThat doesn't do justice to the vastness that is Hinduism. Of course the tendency is quite natural if a person hasn't been around that much to see or to read about other views.

Monism is different than monotheism, which also leads to confusion.
Old 19-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
As I understand it the different gods just represent the many different aspects of the Supreme Being. Different aspects may resonate more with you than others which is probably why you feel more of an affinity with Shiva....

Well put.

Advaita Hinduism = Ultimately non-dual. Not Two.

"One" is said to be just another concept that separates one from the Oneness.

Om Namah Shivaya !