Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Are there other books that are as sacred or more sacred as the Bible?If "YES", do you question anything that is written in those scriptures/books, etc.?
no Spiritual book, is more sacred than the Bible. because the Bible is based on actual accounts of the lives of Jehovah God's people. also he picked those men to write the words. which all were lead by his Holy Spirit ,(2Pet. 1:20,21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost).

their stories and Jehovah's words can help us in MANY ways ,(2Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness). MANY Spiritual Book, can add Jehovah God's words. but books that counsel , or the writer, has to make sure that their words goes hand in hand with Jehovah God's words. I will agree with ANY scriptures, regardless of the book. because as I stated, it's God's words, or the words he allows others to say.

at the beginning of my Spiritual trip, I had MANY questions. because I did not understand what I was reading. or didn't understand why certain acts had to happen. but as I got closer to knowing the ONE TRUE GOD, Jesus spoke of ,(John 17:3). pushing my worldly and freshly views aside. I began to understand what I didn't before. so NO, I have no questions. peace
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 AM
Well, I dunno about sacred - but the Bhagavad Gita tells me way
more about God than the Bible.
Not that Jesus wasn't a good teacher...and Paul said a lot about love.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 08-12-2019, 05:54 AM
Master
Assuming this OP question is about Christian sacred scriptures only...

Bible scholars agree there were approximately 500 "gospels" around before the Ecumenical Council of Nicea narrowed it down to the canon that is the present traditionally accepted "Bible". The rest were considered apocryphal, and some considered heretical. In the 1950s one of these were found in a terracotta pot in Nag Hammadi and contained, among other interesting things, a gospel of Mary Magdelene.

You might also consider the writings of saints as inspired Christian teachings - for example The Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Ávila, Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross, or The Little Flowers of St. Francis of Assisi.

Even the present day Bible has so many versions. Jesus would have spoken in Aramaic but the Bible was recorded later on in Greek, Hebrew and these were translated into Latin (Vulgate version) and the St. James one was old English and now there are countless modern versions. The Oxford Bible is faithful to the literal translation of the original Greek and Hebrew. There were meanings lost in translation too and often "tradition" trumped etymology. Many human hands and opinions have influenced it.

I believe that any illumined writing should be read with the heart. Even with all the changes, there is plenty of gold in there to inspire and uplift the soul.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Mine is ' The book of life '
Some pages are happy others sad, some are boring but others exciting. Each day is a new page which I try to fill with joy and happiness, sometimes I fail but still continue to turn the pages to see what the next one has in store. When I come to the end of my book I can say the pages have been well read

The "Book of Life" includes knowing one's self as well as the nature of the Reality.

Books can serve as pointers but cannot adequately express Truth.

We are in agreement !

Old 08-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo50
...at the beginning of my Spiritual trip, I had MANY questions. because I did not understand what I was reading. or didn't understand why certain acts had to happen. but as I got closer to knowing the ONE TRUE GOD, Jesus spoke of ,(John 17:3). pushing my worldly and freshly views aside. I began to understand what I didn't before. so NO, I have no questions. peace
Since you referred to the Gospel of John, you might be interested to know that there is a one-person show being performed at the Bishop Sheen Center in Manhattan (NYC). I don't know where you live but they always have respectful shows at that venue.

Here's the info:
This Christmas, experience the Gospel as never before!

The Gospel of John is powerful and breathtakingly poetic, containing soaring theology. "This particular Gospel has been so meaningful in my life and helped me through a difficult time. I wanted to turn the struggle into something good," said the creator and performer Jenkings.

Conceived and performed by Broadway veteran Ken Jennings (Sweeney Todd, Grand Hotel, Side Show)
Directed by John Pietrowski (The Good Girl is Gone, Midnight Cry).

This event takes place at:
Sheen Center - Black Box Theater
18 Bleecker Street
Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Well, I dunno about sacred - but the Bhagavad Gita tells me way
more about God than the Bible.
Not that Jesus wasn't a good teacher...and Paul said a lot about love.

Of all the scriptures, I personally have found the Bhagavad Gita to be particularly instructive because it addresses the various dispositions of humanity and prescribes paths to Godhead appropriately suited to those dispositions. "One shoe does not fit all."

1. Jnani - self-inquiry
2. Bhakti - devotion
3. Karma Yoga - losing one's self in selfless service to others

All pathless paths ultimately lead to the Source, the Alpha and the Omega, from which all emerges and to which all returns.

In addition, the Gita gives one a very real perspective on the nature of the Reality, as you duly noted.

Well said, Miss Hepburn.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma
Assuming this OP question is about Christian sacred scriptures only...

Bible scholars agree there were approximately 500 "gospels" around before the Ecumenical Council of Nicea narrowed it down to the canon that is the present traditionally accepted "Bible". The rest were considered apocryphal, and some considered heretical. In the 1950s one of these were found in a terracotta pot in Nag Hammadi and contained, among other interesting things, a gospel of Mary Magdelene.
From a Christian perspective, your points and your choices of writings are very valid. Thanks for sharing.
People tend to forget about the Christian mystics such as John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, and Francis of Assisi.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
The "Book of Life" includes knowing one's self as well as the nature of the Reality.
Books can serve as pointers but cannot adequately express Truth.
We are in agreement !
There's been time's in my life that I kept reading the same pages until they became torn and tattered until I learned ' Mindfulness '
Old 14-12-2019, 06:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
As to holy scriptures, yes, there are many much more judicious and sacred even than the Holy Bible, IMO.
Can you name some of these writings and explain why you think the way you do about them?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 15-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
As to holy scriptures, yes, there are many much more judicious and sacred even than the Holy Bible, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Can you name some of these writings and explain why you think the way you do about them?

I too would like to know the name of the writings to which janielee is referring and to hear why they are so sacred.