Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 22-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Master
The Mother or the Father? Laozi or Jesus?

Here’s a funny thing. Laozi is all about the mother, seek the mother, flow with the mother which is the Dao, the mother of all things. Jesus is all about the Father, seek the kingdom of the Father, do the will of the Father, establish the Father’s kingdom here on earth.
Old 22-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
Here’s a funny thing. Laozi is all about the mother, seek the mother, flow with the mother which is the Dao, the mother of all things. Jesus is all about the Father, seek the kingdom of the Father, do the will of the Father, establish the Father’s kingdom here on earth.
No not funny, just different words being used by different cultures

' So God created man in his own image, male and female he created them '
Old 22-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
No not funny, just different words being used by different cultures

' So God created man in his own image, male and female he created them '

I think it is more than cultural differences. The Chinese recognise Yin and Yang, they recognise their inseparability, and yet they name Dao the Great mother.

For his part Jesus broke many cultural rules, and even created a word for 'God' that was unusual in Judaism, 'Abba', best translated as 'Papa'.

I think Jesus just saw further, what humanity hadn't yet seen, what was actually invisible to all up to that point, and he spoke about what he knew, and named what he knew in his own terms.

John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].

John 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
Old 23-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Master
Quote:
I think it is more than cultural differences. The Chinese recognise Yin and Yang, they recognise their inseparability, and yet they name Dao the Great mother.

For his part Jesus broke many cultural rules, and even created a word for 'God' that was unusual in Judaism, 'Abba', best translated as 'Papa'.

I think Jesus just saw further, what humanity hadn't yet seen, what was actually invisible to all up to that point, and he spoke about what he knew, and named what he knew in his own terms.

John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him].

John 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

Of course it is cultural differences, you cannot compare Taoism to Christianity, Taoist don't have a God

They call the Tao Mother because the Female/Mother gives birth.

Tao gives birth to One,
One gives birth to Two,
The Two gives birth to Three,
The Three gives birth to all universal things.
All universal things shoulder the Yin and embrace the Yang.
The Yin and Yang mingle and mix with each other to beget the harmony.
Old 23-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Of course it is cultural differences, you cannot compare Taoism to Christianity, Taoist don't have a God
They call the Tao Mother because the Female/Mother gives birth.

Tao gives birth to One,
One gives birth to Two,
The Two gives birth to Three,
The Three gives birth to all universal things.
All universal things shoulder the Yin and embrace the Yang.
The Yin and Yang mingle and mix with each other to beget the harmony.

I am viewing 'God the Father' as within myself, just as Jesus specified. Know Thyself in Western philosophy. But if I was to put this in Taoist terms I would say that the ultimate known 'self' must be some sort of ultimate yang attribute within. Not a yin attribute - unless you are speaking of an external force? I'm not referring to that, only to what is within.
Old 23-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Master
Quote:
I am viewing 'God the Father' as within myself, just as Jesus specified. Know Thyself in Western philosophy. But if I was to put this in Taoist terms I would say that the ultimate known 'self' must be some sort of ultimate yang attribute within. Not a yin attribute - unless you are speaking of an external force? I'm not referring to that, only to what is within.
" I am viewing 'God the Father' as within myself, just as Jesus specified "

Yes I can see that
Some realize for themselves without following the words of others ( Jesus ).
Know thy self is apt.....

" The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao; The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and earth. The named is the mother of ten thousand things."

You can see the Father as within yourself, Taoist see the Universe as within themselves ( as I do ).

It all depends on how you see God....
Old 17-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Experiencer
Quote:

Actually you are incorrect.

Although Hebrew was still spoken by some at the time of Jesus, the main language spoken by the people was Aramaic. The Hebrew word for father is אב (Av). The Aramaic word for father is אבא (Abba). It is the only Aramaic word for father. It is not a term of special endearment like Dad, Daddy or Papa. It's simply father.

Only later would it be adopted into Hebrew as a term of endearment.
Old 17-03-2020, 09:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
Actually you are incorrect.

Although Hebrew was still spoken by some at the time of Jesus, the main language spoken by the people was Aramaic. The Hebrew word for father is אב (Av). The Aramaic word for father is אבא (Abba). It is the only Aramaic word for father. It is not a term of special endearment like Dad, Daddy or Papa. It's simply father.

Only later would it be adopted into Hebrew as a term of endearment.

Thankyou RabbiO, I appreciate your input.
Old 22-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Master
This is common in many traditions.

Emptiness is the Tao in Taoism or the Father in Christianity.

The Mother is you could say the perceived motion of emptiness. It is the female aspect or energy. All things are energy and is often referred to as the Mother or female aspect.

That is why in many traditions a Divine being will have both a male and female aspect or you will see Divine beings in Yab Yum or a sexual position. It is representing the union of both the male and female aspects.

From the book, The Book of the Simple Way.

Quote:
Yet this unity and diversity
are one, and that One is Tao, and Tao is greater than God
and greater than Nature, for in Tao both God and Nature
are as one.
"Before Heaven was, Tao was. Spiritual things draw
their spirituality therefrom, while the universe became (by
it) what we behold it now. To Tao the zenith is not high
nor the nadir low. No point in time is long ago, nor by
lapse of ages has It grown old."
Laotze makes a distinction between the Supreme Source
of all things-Tao the ineffable, and Nature the mother of
all things. Tao, the essence of the Universal Spirit, selfexistent, uncreate and eternal, the source of all creations
and of all worlds, as of the gods who made and govern
them, "is by nature One," says Laotze.
"One and universal is Tao, but the first has produced
a second and the second a third, and these three are all
things. In vain may your senses enquire concerning all
these ; your reason alone can frame anything respecting
them, and this will tell you that they are only One." 1

Quote:
GOING BACK TO THE CAUSE

THAT from which the universe sprang may be
looked upon as its Mother.
By knowing the Mother you have access to
the child.
And if, knowing the child, you prefer the
Mother, though your body perish, yet you
will come to no harm.
Keep your mouth shut, and close up the
doors of sight and sound, and as long as you
live you will have no vexation.
But open your mouth, or become inquisitive,
and you will be in trouble all your life long.
To perceive things in the germ is intelligence.
To remain gentle is to be invincible.
Follow the light that guides you homeward,
and do not get lost in the darkness.
This I call using the eternal.
Old 16-11-2019, 11:20 PM
ImthatIm

The Great Mystery neither Male nor Female.