Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 15-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Suspended
Making Allowances for Vegetarians/Vegans

Hiya all

I watch a TV programme call 'Come Dine with Me'. It involves four strangers hosting a dinner party for four consecutive nights. All for each other.

What I've noticed is that if one of the four is a vegetarian or vegan, the host prepares an alternative for that guest (which I deem fair and proper).

However, come the night of the vegetarian/vegan, the food hardly ever (never) involves meat.

Not only do the carnivores have to work harder at pleasing the guests, they also have to go without meat when the vegetarian/vegan hosts.

Is that normal? Is it lop-sided....because it seems so to me.
Old 15-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Time

Oh, thats lopsided IMO.

I thikn vegans tend to do that anyways ( well all of us but for the sake of the conversation..) An apple evolved its tasty fruit, so that when an animal deficates, or drips the scraps, the seeds will grow, and the plant is successful. Almost all of us throw them out, and or compost them, not even giving these plants a chance.

We arent letting nature do its thing, and its a habit for all of us, but I think vegans miss this point more, because its actualy cruel to nature NOT to let some of them survive.

Basicaly, fruit in nature, its a give get give situation:

Tree makes fruit enticing - animal is attracted - animal eats - animal drops, or deficates, and makes the plants range further - new animals eat - etc etcinto infinity.

Your situation, and what we do with food si the same. That is a take - take situation, and isnt how nature works, totaly botching the whole POV of being a vegan.vegitarian.

***** im no knocking what they do, its your life, your desicions. But equily, i have just as much right to express my opinion about it tactfully, and respectfuly ( which I belive I do), if im interested, or dont necassarily agree with it.
Old 15-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Suspended
I suppose my argument is that if I was going to dinner party hosted by a vegan, meat should be on the menu. For the likes of me...a carnivore.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, seeing as it's in the Veg*n section.

However, there isn't a meat section. Sorry again.
Old 15-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Not only do the carnivores have to work harder at pleasing the guests, they also have to go without meat when the vegetarian/vegan hosts.
Is that normal? Is it lop-sided....because it seems so to me.
Omnivores ya mean..

I think it is 'normal' though. The vegetarian/vegan decides not to consume eat, so that would not only include eating it but also buying/preparing it.
As I've been both a vegetarian and a meat eater I can understand the former wouldn't want to prepare a meal with meat in it.

It does beg the question why a vegetarian or vegan participates in such a programme.. of course for the makers of the programme such is only interesting..!
Old 15-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Time

Well the whole show was to see how the other people treat their party guests, which usualy (IMO) would mean catering to everyones tastes.

The main thing is that the other people catered to him, it would just be polite, respectful, and showing thanks to them, if he at least TRIED to appease their normal appitites..

The thing is also is that, thats how HE eats and cooks, implying that not serving meat on the menu, can possibly lead to saying eating meat is the way to go ( i think we should be omnivorious, with a slight emphisis on fruits and veggies personaly... but id never want anyone to go against what they think is right)

The main thing about a party host is to accmidate yoru guests. If i had someone who was diebetic, and couldnt eat certain food, i would gladly accomodate him, as best as I can.

But the situation your talking about, is almost like asking an east indian family to serve milk with cookies, becasue thats how " everyone else" eats ( im assuming you know they dont eat dairy products).

Really its an interesting question squat... Because i dont think theres any real answer, only becasue our opinions on that situation will vary as much as our eating habits.
Old 17-05-2011, 12:20 PM
DebbyM

I understand where you are coming from on this. However, the problem is that in order for me to prepare meat for you at my dinner table, something has to be killed and if I am morally against killing animals then I simply cannot do that. However, what I will do is prepare a meal that is abundant, provides all the necessary protein and other nutrients for human health, and is flavorful and interesting and I guarantee that you will not feel that you 'missed out'. My husband eats meat still when we go out. I do not cook meat at all at home, but he has said numerous times that he is more than satisfied with the food that I prepare at home. Our friends are like you and when they've had dinner at our house, they are also satisfied.

My personal feelings when I eat at someone else's house is that they don't need to provide a special dish for me. The only thing I would hope is that they don't slather butter over the vegetables. I have no expectation of special consideration.

I would never ask or insist that someone do something that is against their 'morals or ethics'. I would never go to a Jewish persons home and expect their home and expect them to provide me with a meal of say stroganoff (beef in a milk sauce). Why would you expect me to go against my ethics to satisfy your 'want'? Mind you, if a person moved to a veg'n dietary lifestyle for only health reasons, then you might have a leg to stand on.
Old 17-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Master
The thing is, eating a meal without meat isn't all that unusual. Meat eaters do it all the time, so to me it is still respectful for the veg to not make a meat dish.
I'll tell you this...as a non-meat eater, when people go out of their way to make sure that I have something to eat, when they know I am coming and that I don't eat meat............I am deeply touched and grateful.........deeply!
In fact, I went to China once with work and when the people we were visiting found out, it seemed like the whole country went out of its way to make sure that I was pleased!
People are awesome!
Blessings, James
Old 17-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Time

I got a question for you debs..... ( im asking you because youll actualy tell me how you feel without dancing around it )

Im not trying to be disrespecful, or talking about you personaly, im talking in general.... I have a question that id like you to answer as best you can please....

Life needs other life to survive. ITs how nature works.. Any ecologist, botanist, zoologist etc will tell you that. Certain animals eat, only meat, only plants, only insects, or all 3.

Most, if not all vegans say " i wont anything that came from an animal", or the one i hear lots of " i wont eat anthing with a face".. Basicaly what i can get from that is you dont want to cause harm to something living ( which i cannot say is a negative attribute).

So this would mean all meat, feathers, cheese, milk, eggs and the like. All of these come from the death, or taking from an animal.

Now, generaly speaking thes veiws deal with animals. What about plants? They cant scream in pain, or look you in teh eye when they die, but they are still life, which actualy causes just as much harm to the enviroment to farm. only 7% of the US is taken up my cities and roads, but it take 75% of the land to support the people, which is mostly food crops. THis eliminates prarie life by the millions, as well as aquatic life due to fertilizer and manure run off.....

Now, the main question is. Oil and gas, is made from decomposed animals. Sure its a a few hundred to a few dozen million years old, but it is STILL animal life. SO all plastics, gasoline, butaine, motor oil, and technology, is made from dead animals. Does this mean vegans should give up their cars, computers, tvs, plastic bowls, and utensils, stives, heating ( furnace) air conditioners and the like??

The other thing is.... 90% of us throw away the seeds from our produce. The fact that fruits evolved the way they did, is becasue we and animals are supposed to eat the fruit to spread the seeds. ITs really the only reason fruits developed such good taste, look, and flesh at all ( its the ONLY reason they make fruit is so animals eat it, and drop/.deficate the seeds). When you throw out an apple core, or compost the pepper tops, you are effectivly killing/harming lifes cycle. You are not letting nature do its thing, which is essential as enviromentaly harmful as farming meat.

Whats your opinion on thiis?
Old 17-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Master
No one wants to cause harm where they feel that they might be causing harm.
Life style changes where we give up something for someone or something else are not about that though.
It doesn’t come from the head, it solely comes from the heart.
It bothers me to kill animals for my eating pleasure…………..period.
I feel that in my heart so much.
The plant argument is a head one for me. I don’t feel that in my heart.
I know you were not asking me but I replied anyways…lol
James
Old 17-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Time

LOl its ok james, i didnt see you post, other wise i woulda posted it in general..

If i remember right you are vegan? So you obviously have made your choice in that situation, which means you have some fixed veiws on it, other wise you wouldnt be a vegan, your be veg-curious ( LOL)

IMO ( im not saying your wrong BTW) only thinking with the heart, and not the head, and vice versa, isnt looking at the whole situation. In this situaion we need to think with both, because its as much of our nature, as it is our opinion. We arent the only species on the planet, and im not tihnking only in terms of jsut those animals with faces, im thinking in terms of plants, the soil microbes, the animals that interact with the enviroment, because nature isnt about one thing, NOTHING in nature has no purpose, or does one job. THinking of nature in straight lines is one of the rasons we totaly destroy natural habitat ( other then we think were the kings of the world)

I would never want you to think im saying your wrong im right. Feeling it in your heart is one of thebest things to do, because it makes us make most of the right desicions for ourselves. The only thing i see that can get difficult, is that may lead to a total personal desicion making system, and not nessacarily whats best for the whole.

I would never say that harmfuly killing animals is ok, because it isnt. But i cant make a double standard as not using that same sentiment on plants. With out plants NO life would be possible. With out insects, plants and us wouldnt be around ( when we grow crops, we have a sterile enviroment, becasue there are very little useful floewrs in agriculture, and bugs beneficial or not, and animals are scared away, or killed with pecticides, which also killing neneficial bacteria that makes soil. Effectivly killing billions of lifeforms per acre of normal monocrop
agriculture) ( the same can be said about pastureland as well)