Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 24-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Buffalo Calf Road Woman

I actually just finished reading the book "Buffalo Calf Road Woman" by Rosemary and Joseph Agonito yesterday.That book was truly difficult to finish just because it captures the Cheyenne's misery during a pivotal part of history. I'm one of those people who really want to enjoy what I'm reading and have often stopped reading something just because it was unpleasant. In this case however, I knew that to refuse to read further didn't change the fact that such events took place, so it felt necessary to finish it.
I got overwhelmed by the volume of extra material after the story so I didn't even take the time to read that part before I passed it on to someone else. I honestly believe if you want even a glimpse of an idea of what the Trail of Tears was like, that is probably one of the best books to pick up.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

-Anne Frank
Old 24-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Experiencer

Thankyou for your post.. When I was in Montana with my Northern Cheyenne buddies I saw this book in the visitor centre at Little Big Horn Battle feild.. Someone ahead of me bought the last copy... I might look om amazon for this book.

The so called Indian Removal Act had a lot to answer for... Many tribal groups were forced to undertake huge jourmeys under terrinle conditions.. The Trail of Tears was the story of the Cherokee, the Navajo called thier journet 'The Long Walk' historically who ever it affected was the most terrible ordeal of a depersonalisation of pround people.. Shameful and still felt deeply today..
Old 25-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMariposa85
I actually just finished reading the book "Buffalo Calf Road Woman" by Rosemary and Joseph Agonito yesterday.That book was truly difficult to finish just because it captures the Cheyenne's misery during a pivotal part of history. I'm one of those people who really want to enjoy what I'm reading and have often stopped reading something just because it was unpleasant. In this case however, I knew that to refuse to read further didn't change the fact that such events took place, so it felt necessary to finish it.
I got overwhelmed by the volume of extra material after the story so I didn't even take the time to read that part before I passed it on to someone else. I honestly believe if you want even a glimpse of an idea of what the Trail of Tears was like, that is probably one of the best books to pick up.
Thank you for sharing your experience in reading this, LilMariposa85. I felt/feel the same way with an older piece of literature, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". I never could finish it. Just too overwhelming.

So I admire your strength and commitment to learning more about one of the many dark chapters in this shared history of human atrocities. Education is key to ensuring we aim to never commit such cruelties again.
Old 25-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Suspended
We still have the same attitudes today. Look at the Flintstone - Jetson myth of today's time. Tribal people are considered primitive, thus they can be exploited. Look a Trumps attitude about Mexicans. If you have dark skin, you to be feared and controlled.
Old 26-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Experiencer

I have to say I hope Trump doesn't get elected, his views are kinda scary tbh...
Old 27-09-2015, 04:11 AM
Raven Poet

Yeah, he strikes me as the kind who would happily revive a new Trail of Tears in the name of profit. Even though I live in Canada, I fear for our relatives to the south should this person become Prez.

Here in Canada, there is much uprising to get our current PM out of power. His government has broken many promises during his reign.
Old 28-09-2015, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
I feel it's important that we should read these accounts as hopefully humans can learn from their mistakes accounted in history, and learn greater respect for others. Let us hope so anyway.
It broke my heart to read Wounded Knee, and I am not Native American. I would like to read the book "Buffalo Calf Road Woman". Though I know it would be upsetting.
Old 29-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wolf Medicine Woman
The so called Indian Removal Act had a lot to answer for... Many tribal groups were forced to undertake huge jourmeys under terrinle conditions.. The Trail of Tears was the story of the Cherokee, the Navajo called thier journet 'The Long Walk' historically who ever it affected was the most terrible ordeal of a depersonalisation of pround people.. Shameful and still felt deeply today..

It would have been many more tribes than that.
"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be."

-Anne Frank
Old 29-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Poet
Education is key to ensuring we aim to never commit such cruelties again.

Unfortunately, history books in schools often portray history in an inaccurate light a lot of the time.

-Anne Frank
Old 29-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wolf Medicine Woman
I have to say I hope Trump doesn't get elected, his views are kinda scary tbh...

I personally think the whole campaign stuff is just a load of garbage. It seems more like a bunch of people who have nothing better to do, so they stir up some serious media hype. I haven't taken a single thing I've glimpsed in the papers seriously.I won't be voting for anyone who claims to be running.

-Anne Frank