Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
Similar to Jesus as the son of God (Buddha) and Jesus as the son of man (Bodhisattva?) If what you are saying is correct and it seems perfectly correct to me, then the Historical Buddha we know of acted from the primordial non-conceptual, but His teachings had to exist in the world of knowledge and concepts. Presumably designed to lead the listeners to the world beyond. Interesting discussion.

I can't see how the enlightenment of the Buddha has got anything to do with 'Jesus as the son of God'. Buddha lived a long time before Jesus anyway and to me its pointless comparing the two because they came from very different areas and belief sytems

The Buddha wandered around , had teachers and meditated and then after 6 years of practice became enlightened while he was meditating under a tree. He then taught others the path to freedom from the dissatisfaction and mental suffering caused by attachment, greed, hatred and delusion. Awareness,clarity,mental tranquility and emptiness and compassion are all about having complete freedom of mind and fully living in the here and now.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Master
He is saying that there is a comparison to Christ and Buddha. Buddha and Christ are spiritual titles- "Awakened One" and "Anointed One".

And doesn't a lot of Buddhists claim that Gautama was a Bodhisattva? Or am I wrong?

If that is the case for Jesus, as an individual he was a Bodhisattva, coming in various lives to uplift other prophets to "Christhood" or "Buddhahood" and in his last life as the Nazarene, he became Christ/Buddha.

Isn't Buddha/Christ/Krishna the name of the Universal Consciousness?

Jesus also studied under masters in India, Greece, Egypt, and Peria. It was at 30 years old his "Christhood" manifested at the Jordan River and thus became The Christ. Just as Siddhartha became the Buddha.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius777
He is saying that there is a comparison to Christ and Buddha. Buddha and Christ are spiritual titles- "Awakened One" and "Anointed One".

And doesn't a lot of Buddhists claim that Gautama was a Bodhisattva? Or am I wrong?

If that is the case for Jesus, as an individual he was a Bodhisattva, coming in various lives to uplift other prophets to "Christhood" or "Buddhahood" and in his last life as the Nazarene, he became Christ/Buddha.

Jesus also studied under masters in India, Greece, Egypt, and Peria. It was at 30 years old his "Christhood" manifested at the Jordan River and thus became The Christ. Just as Siddhartha became the Buddha.

Hi,

Why bother to compare Christ and Buddha anyway ?

When Buddha was enlightened he refered to himself as a Bodhisattva when he was still on the path.

Buddhists who study and practice with each other offline don't usually refer to Buddha as the 'Universal' Consciousness' and lump him together with Krishna and Christ - that's probably a New Age idea.

Saying Jesus studied under masters in India, Greece, Egypt and Persia is just speculation, there's no historical or Biblical evidence for that.

with kind wishes,

S.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Funny How Time Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
Hi,

Why bother to compare Christ and Buddha anyway ?

When Buddha was enlightened he refered to himself as a Bodhisattva when he was still on the path.

Buddhists who study and practice with each other offline don't usually refer to Buddha as the 'Universal' Consciousness' and lump him together with Krishna and Christ - that's probably a New Age idea.

Saying Jesus studied under masters in India, Greece, Egypt and Persia is just speculation, there's no historical or Biblical evidence for that.

with kind wishes,

S.

I'm glad you bring this up, Samana. Your points are absolutely valid. And I guess none of us was around when Jesus, Buddha or Krishna allegedly walked this planet. So all of that is basically hearsay only. It's second hand knowledge.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius777

I see it just as you have said here. Anointed and Enlightened Bodhisattvas both around age 30. Thich Nhat Hanh had a wonderful book called "Jesus and Buddha as brothers"
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Aesop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
I see it just as you have said here. Anointed and Enlightened Bodhisattvas both around age 30. Thich Nhat Hanh had a wonderful book called "Jesus and Buddha as brothers"

It's an excellent read!

I guess in many traditions you see bodhisattvas propped up almost to a god-like level. What is the primary role of bodhisattvas?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 AM
Master
Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings in the world to uplift the consciousness and open the hearts of the people, not only themselves.

Xan

Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Funny How Time Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Bodhisattvas are enlightened beings in the world to uplift the consciousness and open the hearts of the people, not only themselves.

Xan

If they have a purpose, then they can't be enlightened.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny How Time Flies
If they have a purpose, then they can't be enlightened.

Maybe so, maybe not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diamond Sutra

[Addressing the Buddha]
Bhagavan, how does one who has entered into the path of Bodhisattva manage? How do they practice? How do they behold their mind?”

When this had been asked, the Bhagavan said to the venerable Subhuti, “Subhuti, excellent, excellent!

Subhuti, thus it is, thus it is so. The Tathagata has benefited the great Bodhisattvas with the highest benefit. The Tathagata has entrusted the Bodhisattvas with the highest faith. Subhuti, therefore, listen properly and
hold it in your mind, I will explain to you how one who has correctly entered into the path of Bodhisattva manages, how they practice, how they behold their mind.”

Having replied, “Bhagavan, so be it,” the venerable Subhuti listened in accordance with the Bhagavan, and the Bhagavan said this: “Subhuti, here, one who has correctly entered into the path of Bodhisattva should generate the awakening mind think like this: ‘As many as sentient beings that are — born from egg, born from the womb, born from heat and moisture, born miraculously; with form, without form, with perception, without perception, without no perception— the realm of sentient beings, as many as are
projected as sentient beings, all those I shall cause to pass completely beyond suffering into the realm of Nirvana without the aggregates.

Although limitless sentient beings have thus been caused to pass
completely beyond suffering, no sentient being whatsoever has been caused to pass completely beyond suffering.’

Why is that so? Subhuti, because if a Bodhisattva engages in conceptualizing a sentient being, one is not to be called a ‘Bodhisattva.’ Why is that? Subhuti, if anyone engages in conceptualizing a sentient being, or engages in conceptualizing a soul, or engages in conceptualizing a person, they are not to be called a ‘Bodhisattva.’

The Diamond Sutra is actually the oldest dated written book in the world.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Experiencer
I think its worth mentioning that Mahayana Sutras including the Diamond Sutra are not recognized by Theravada Buddhism as being authentic teachings of the historical Buddha. They are said by Buddhist historians to have been written at a much later date.