Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 12-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yes, gender is associated with socially normalised masculine and feminine roles, and the way that is identified with.

The basic issue is, can the psychological self-image be adapted to sit well with the form, or should the form be surgically altered to resemble the image? I'm not sure that surgery is the appropriate intervention for healthy bodies. It's really a question: is it something wrong with the body that needs fixing, or a psychological issue which can't be resolved surgically? Suicide statistics aren't improved by surgical intervention, so I'm persuaded that sex reassignment surgery is not helping, however, psychological issues related to body image are a psycho-social problems, as there are no clear lines between individual identity and the environment in which it exists.

Yes, the 'male brain in a female body' doesn't really make sense because the brain is an organ of the body... not a 'different thing'. Basically, the issue of identity and body image can't be measured empirically, so gender theory is philosophy - not science.

Hi....yes, I understand.

My opinion is that this is a psychological issue (though we should also situate this psychological issue within a broader cultural/social issue). I didn't know that the suicide rates remained about the same for those that had had the surgery....I seem to only hear about those that are happy with the surgery. I had assumed surgery is a generally useful fix...and maybe it is for some, but based on what you said, perhaps it isn't as useful as I had thought. Assuming that this is a psychological issue, the difficulty is that healing is hard. I suspect that many trans folks were dealing with a sense of isolation and alienation from a very early age. Even with help and support, it's not easy to heal from these kinds of wounds (perhaps to some varying extent we all have them). From my perspective, I also believe it is important to be addressing some of the incorrect deeper ideas about the nature of identity, that are floating around the media and society in general.

Specifically, I find the idea that being a 'man' or 'woman' is apriori to, and disassociated with the body, as incorrect and problematic, not least because I'm not sure where it ends. For example, I think I am correct in saying that we now have the idea that an apriori 'black person' can be born into a physically 'white person's' body (and vice versa). My other concern is that if we are willing to entertain the idea that identities have no association at all with the body, this could also potentially support a pedophile movement, in which it is argued that a child is actually an 'adult' in a child's body. I just don't see it as healthy to be divorcing identity from the body altogether, though as I said, I appreciate the emancipation that began last century which began to free many folks from their behavioural limitations. But I think we have gone too far ideologically, without actually taking the time to heal from the limitations that we collectively experienced. It strikes me that instead of doing the healing work, we are applying a misconceived solution to the collective wound, when perhaps what we all need is more love, kindness and care.

Perhaps at a more spiritual level, I also don't really believe that these arms and legs and organs etc are 'my' arms/legs/organs. I am more inclined to the idea that...in terms of 'belonging', they belong to nature. It is my role to tend to the body, to honour and steward the body, and be healthy as best I can, but I don't see it as 'mine' to do totally what I want with.
Old 14-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew g
Hi....yes, I understand.

My opinion is that this is a psychological issue (though we should also situate this psychological issue within a broader cultural/social issue). I didn't know that the suicide rates remained about the same for those that had had the surgery....I seem to only hear about those that are happy with the surgery. I had assumed surgery is a generally useful fix...and maybe it is for some, but based on what you said, perhaps it isn't as useful as I had thought. Assuming that this is a psychological issue, the difficulty is that healing is hard. I suspect that many trans folks were dealing with a sense of isolation and alienation from a very early age. Even with help and support, it's not easy to heal from these kinds of wounds (perhaps to some varying extent we all have them). From my perspective, I also believe it is important to be addressing some of the incorrect deeper ideas about the nature of identity, that are floating around the media and society in general.

Specifically, I find the idea that being a 'man' or 'woman' is apriori to, and disassociated with the body, as incorrect and problematic, not least because I'm not sure where it ends. For example, I think I am correct in saying that we now have the idea that an apriori 'black person' can be born into a physically 'white person's' body (and vice versa). My other concern is that if we are willing to entertain the idea that identities have no association at all with the body, this could also potentially support a pedophile movement, in which it is argued that a child is actually an 'adult' in a child's body. I just don't see it as healthy to be divorcing identity from the body altogether, though as I said, I appreciate the emancipation that began last century which began to free many folks from their behavioural limitations. But I think we have gone too far ideologically, without actually taking the time to heal from the limitations that we collectively experienced. It strikes me that instead of doing the healing work, we are applying a misconceived solution to the collective wound, when perhaps what we all need is more love, kindness and care.

Perhaps at a more spiritual level, I also don't really believe that these arms and legs and organs etc are 'my' arms/legs/organs. I am more inclined to the idea that...in terms of 'belonging', they belong to nature. It is my role to tend to the body, to honour and steward the body, and be healthy as best I can, but I don't see it as 'mine' to do totally what I want with.

Very good points. I liked the point about a black person being born in a while body. In one sense it's just as valid as a man being born in a woman's body, but it doesn't happen in the way transgenderism does. Not to mention that adults aren't born in infant bodies either. Why then is gender special in this regard? I grew up in New Guinea among black folk am fluent in the local dialect and took on many mannerism. I used to say I'm a white with a black soul, but only figuratively. I never identified with a body image which didn't represent my observable body. This also reminds me of anorexics who see a fat body where a starving body appears, obviously an image misrepresents the real.

The thing is, there is no way a black person is 'supposed to act'. There is no black-like in the way there is lady-like, so we might have some issues with 'cultural appropriation' when white girls fashion their hair in corn rolls etc, but we don't have issue with whites really trying to be black. In fact, it's not uncommon for blacks to 'become white' by skin bleaching, straightening their hair, and having cosmetic surgery including narrowing the nose... but when the social standard of American beauty is the blonde cheerleader (just like the movie), we get a lot of black girls who look kinda like Beyonce, and extremes such as Micheal Jackson... But where are the whiteys emulating blacks. Maybe Eminem is immersed in the culture but he presents as ultra-blonde - not dark and afro

But since society is not based on ethnic appearance, and is based on sex because sex is essential for the reproduction of society, the issue of being a 'boy' or a 'girl' and culturally organising sexual relationships for the reproduction of culture, the socially imagined sex, AKA gender, is a universally ingrained social condition - and if people don't conform to the gender paradigm, that threatens the whole of culture. Since this social-gender paradigm is divided in two, man and woman, there is a fallacy of masculine and feminine behaviour. People may not naturally behave according to the paradigm, a male might exhibit feminine traits, but when he looks down there he is reminded that he's 'a boy', so might begin to detest that thing which socially-forces him to pretend to 'be a man'.

If we were just born as bodies, which are male and female, and were then left to behave as we naturally develop personality, we could have alpha-masculine females and fairy princess males. Instead, a fairy princess male is described as 'femine', so maybe then concludes that they are female, but in the body of a male, which would be distressing, I'd imagine...