Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Ivy

The ideas of true self aren't something that grabs me...but what I notice here shepard is your ugness...the ugness of tired frustration perhaps. And honestly, if you are feeling that way, then it may be time for you to take a break and spend a little time working with yourself and to recouperate your energy and desire for change.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid
when you say we can change, is the improved version of our self make the the wife beating ma the same man or he can acquire a new title, say a loving responsible man?
He's the same man but his title can change.
His vices and virtues are more like verbs instead of nouns.

Yes the qualities are part of the self and define the self in a way. But still these are all illusions as they can change. The qualities can't exist by themselves.

One could say the self is a thing or an entity that undergoes various state changes,
or these various state changes are in fact the self.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
shepherd

Quote:
The ideas of true self aren't something that grabs me...but what I notice here shepard is your ugness...the ugness of tired frustration perhaps. And honestly, if you are feeling that way, then it may be time for you to take a break and spend a little time working with yourself and to recouperate your energy and desire for change.

I would sit back and really have a good think Heather as to why you posted your assumptions about me on this thread. it just makes for ugly reading and I have no idea what your agenda is, so please respect this thread and keep it out, if you wish to be personal then please use the pvt message system. Thank you.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
shepherd

Quote:
One could say the self is a thing or an entity that undergoes various state changes,

I have to agree with this so far.

I'm just not convinced there is an actual true self. The idea of a true self just promotes an idea which may not actually be able to be reached as when would someone know when? It just seems to promote non acceptance of who we are right now. (though the true self is always our self)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
I would sit back and really have a good think Heather as to why you posted your assumptions about me on this thread. it just makes for ugly reading and I have no idea what your agenda is, so please respect this thread and keep it out, if you wish to be personal then please use the pvt message system. Thank you.

Sorry that youve taken it poorly, it was given with the best will in the world xx
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
He's the same man but his title can change.
His vices and virtues are more like verbs instead of nouns.

Yes the qualities are part of the self and define the self in a way. But still these are all illusions as they can change. The qualities can't exist by themselves.

you depicted a self that is dynamic. in lieu of this, can we be just ourselves without having to resort to label as true, false, higher, lower, god , ego, good, evil selves as shepherd suggested?

Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 PM
shepherd

Quote:
Sorry that youve taken it poorly, it was given with the best will in the world xx

It's not about being taken poorly Heather, its your perceptions of me which are personal and don't really need to be on this thread. I don't know if this is something you do to others but it just seems out of place and uncalled for regardless of intentions. Hence why I say sit back and have a real good think.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
shepherd

Quote:
you depicted a self that is dynamic. in lieu of this, can we be just ourselves without having to resort to label as true, false, higher, lower, god , ego, good, evil selves as shepherd suggested?

Did I suggest that? Not sure I did but its a brilliant question Hybrid, can we?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Master
Quote:
I have to agree with this so far.

I'm just not convinced there is an actual true self. The idea of a true self just promotes an idea which may not actually be able to be reached as when would someone know when? It just seems to promote non acceptance of who we are right now. (though the true self is always our self)

of course there is no actual true self, these are maps or models of consciousness or of human psyche. if what is your concern as a therapist who believes that self acceptance is the key to healing the self, then such concepts as true/false selves impedes the healing process rather that help, yes you may be right.

these ideas are rather philosophical in nature and wouldn't probably useful in a clinical scenario.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Did I suggest that? Not sure I did but its a brilliant question Hybrid, can we?

this is what you said ....

Quote:
what if its just a "self" and the labels we give it are just judgements based on what we think is right or wrong
Closed Thread