Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 18-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
I do not see that way . To me we are all " nothingness" and "ourselves" is something that we discovering ...debating makes me aware of myself NOT ME as ME is " nothingness" and nothingness have nothing to discuss ..................

So I am debating to discover all my emotions / our will / desire ....not ME...
Thks
CSEe
Well all I can say, is happy debating.
Old 18-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Well all I can say, is happy debating.

Thks
CSEe
Old 18-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Experiencer
CSEe,
Perhaps if you approach them in a different manner they would open up. After all a debate is is war of words which is something they will avoid. To debate is to attack and try to prove a point, not so much for learning. If you are trying to debate are you really trying to learn or just trying to prove a point? Buddhist would call that Ego.
Old 18-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Bodhi_Spirit

I have to agree with Selbor13. Not many Buddhist will let themselves get caught up in a debate because a debate is indeed a war or words. I was on the debate team at my high school so I can attest for this. I personally would find another way of going about it besides debate.
Old 18-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selbor13
CSEe,
Perhaps if you approach them in a different manner they would open up. After all a debate is is war of words which is something they will avoid. To debate is to attack and try to prove a point, not so much for learning. If you are trying to debate are you really trying to learn or just trying to prove a point? Buddhist would call that Ego.

I can know about myself but I cant imagine how others feel . To me currently , Buddhism is all about learning not teaching ...no one could possibily have any reason to teach Buddhism including Siddhareta himself .
Thks
CSEe
Old 18-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSEe
I can know about myself but I cant imagine how others feel . To me currently , Buddhism is all about learning not teaching ...no one could possibily have any reason to teach Buddhism including Siddhareta himself .
Thks
CSEe
You kind of lost me there... Not sure I am understanding your point. But anyway it doesn't really matter, I am not buddhist so I can't answer that question and to be honest I do t think anyone's answer will satisfy you.
Old 19-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selbor13
You kind of lost me there... Not sure I am understanding your point. But anyway it doesn't really matter, I am not buddhist so I can't answer that question and to be honest I do t think anyone's answer will satisfy you.

I am not seeking statisfaction or agreement here , I am here to learn discovering myself and indeed I am learning from all your question / reply or my own reply ............to me anyone or anything is Buddhist......
Thks
CSEe
Old 20-04-2013, 04:44 AM
Master
"The Buddha’s penetrating insight attracted many intellectuals, one of whom, Malunkyaputra, grew more and more frustrated as the Buddha failed to settle certain basic metaphysical questions. Finally he went to the Buddha in exasperation and confronted him with the following list:
“Blessed One, there are theories which you have left unexplained and set aside unanswered: whether the world is eternal or not eternal; whether it is finite or infinite; whether the soul and the body are the same or different; whether a person who has attained nirvana exists after death or does not; or whether perhaps he both exists and does not exist, or neither exists nor does not. The fact that the Blessed One has not explained these matters neither pleases me nor suits me, I will give up spiritual disciplines and return to the life of a layman.”

“Malunkyaputra,” the Buddha replied gently, “when you took to the spiritual life, did I ever promise you I would answer these questions?”

Malunkyaputra was probably already sorry for his outburst, but it was too late. “No Blessed One, you never did.”

“Why do you think that is?”

“Blessed One, I haven’t the slightest idea!”
“Suppose, Malunkyaputra, that a man has been wounded by a poisoned arrow, and his friends and family are about to call a doctor. ‘Wait!’ he says. I will not let this arrow be removed until I have learned the caste of the man who shot me. I have to know how tall he is, what family he comes from, where they live, what kind of wood his bow is made from, what fletcher made his arrows. When I know these things, you can proceed to take the arrow out and give an antidote for the poison.’ What would you think of such a man?”

“He would be a fool, Blessed One,” replied Malunkyaputra shamefacedly. “His questions have nothing to do with getting the arrow out, and he would die before they were answered.”

“Similarly, Malunkyaputra, I do not teach whether the world is eternal or not eternal; whether it is finite or infinite, whether the soul and the body are the same or different, whether a person who has attained nirvana exists after death or does not, or whether perhaps he both exists and does not exist, or neither exists nor does not. I teach how to remove the arrow: the truth of suffering, it’s origin, it’s end, and the noble eightfold path.”

“Perhaps,” a disciple suggested discreetly on another occasion, “these are matters which the Blessed One himself has not cared to know.”

The Buddha did not answer, but smiled and took a handful of leaves from the branch of a tree under which they sat. “What do you think,” he asked, “are there more leaves in my hand or on this tree?”

“Blessed One you know your handful is only a small part of what remains on the branches. Who can count the leaves of a shimshapa tree?”

“What I know,” the Buddha said, “is like the leaves of that tree; what I teach is only a small part. But what I offer, I offer to all with an open hand. What do I not teach? Whatever is fascinating to discuss, divides people against each other, but has no bearing on putting an end to sorrow. What do I teach? Only what is necessary to take you to the other shore.”

From the Dhammapada, translated by Eknath Easwaran
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 20-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Master
Buddha: "With the Divine Eye, which is purified and surpasses the human, a bhikkhu surveys a thousand worlds. Just as a man with good sight when he has ascended to the upper palace chamber, might survey a thousand wheel-rims, so too, with the Divine Eye, which is purified and surpasses the human, a bhikkhu surveys a thousand worlds."

Buddha: "I have proclaimed to my disciples the way whereby with the Divine Ear element, which is purified and surpasses the human, they hear both kinds of sounds, the divine and the human, those that are far as well as near. Just as a vigorous trumpeter might make himself heard without difficulty in the four quarters; so too, I have proclaimed to my disciples the way whereby with the Divine Ear element....far as well as near. And thereby many disciples of mine abide having reached the consummation and Perfection of Direct Knowledge." (The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha -- A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, Teachings of the Buddha, translated by Bhakkhu Nanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi, Wisdom Publications)
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 24-04-2013, 11:37 AM
TThor

Hi everybody!
When I first read the thread, I thought to myself, it is true, Buddhist masters always avoid debates, probably because silence is the eloquence of wisdom; in other words, "Truth" cannot be said in words, as we all know.

But then I remembered my friends who visited and lived in Buddhist monasteries in Asia and they told me that every day there were special gatherings were the monks would argue and test one another by questions on the doctrine. We see it also in different Buddhist movies.

I guess that there are moments to argue (and learn by argument), and moments to remain silent. Recognizing the one from the other is probably also part of being Awakened