Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 16-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Master
To understand the truth of a thing, one must first determine where each particular human being is standing in relation to relative versus absolute; from which truth-perspective s/he is observing.

Religions are perspective-relationship indicators. They don't reveal truth so much as they affirm one's viewing position in the truth-circle.
Old 16-07-2018, 09:04 AM
Master
One day human beings will ask instead of answer. They will stop speaking only of their religion and their beliefs; and instead will ask others to explain theirs, in order to complete the collective circle of understanding.
Old 16-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Experiencer
The historical Buddha from approximately 2,500 years ago, didn't teach about "twin flames." nor did he teach about "souls".These aren't Buddhist beliefs.

The Buddha said there was rebirth (which was already a belief in India) but he didn't teach about "reincarnation" which is a Tibetan Buddhist belief about "tulkus" (reincarnate lamas).which began with the Karmapas around the 12th century.

The Buddha didn't teach the Tibetan Bardo Thodol, it was composed by Padmasabhava who went from India to Tibet around the 9th century.

Regarding "anatta" (not-self) which was mentioned earlier in the topic, reading what was taught by the Buddha in this sutta might be helpful:

SN 22.59 Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....059.nymo.html

_/|\_
Old 16-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
The historical Buddha from approximately 2,500 years ago, didn't teach about "twin flames." nor did he teach about "souls".These aren't Buddhist beliefs.

The Buddha said there was rebirth (which was already a belief in India) but he didn't teach about "reincarnation" which is a Tibetan Buddhist belief about "tulkus" (reincarnate lamas).which began with the Karmapas around the 12th century.

The Buddha didn't teach the Tibetan Bardo Thodol, it was composed by Padmasabhava who went from India to Tibet around the 9th century.

Regarding "anatta" (not-self) which was mentioned earlier in the topic, reading what was taught by the Buddha in this sutta might be helpful:

SN 22.59 Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....059.nymo.html

_/|\_

Exactly...
Old 16-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
And......?

You posted,

' I don't think true self is part of the Buddhist teaching either, '

I pointed out to you that Buddha Nature/Luminous Mind IS taught and is part of Buddhists Teachings.

If you read some Suttras you will understand that a True Self is taught and very important in Buddhism.
Old 16-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Master
“The True Self that the Thus Come One has spoken of today is named the Buddha Nature”.

The Buddha explained that these two aspects of our Higher Self, the "Luminous Mind" and the "Tathagatagarbha", are intimately related to each other and together comprise our "True Self", which is "one" with the eternal Infinite Buddha Nature.
Old 16-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
“The True Self that the Thus Come One has spoken of today is named the Buddha Nature”.

The Buddha explained that these two aspects of our Higher Self, the "Luminous Mind" and the "Tathagatagarbha", are intimately related to each other and together comprise our "True Self", which is "one" with the eternal Infinite Buddha Nature.

The historical Buddha of the Pali Canon suttas didn't teach about a " true self," nor about "Buddha Nature."....that's a later Mahayana idea.

This article by Bhikkhu Thanissaro "Freedom from Buddha Nature" is worth reading:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...dhanature.html

_/|\_
Old 16-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Master
This conversation has been very illuminating! I had always understood sentient beings as essentially "souls" that have the ability and potential to awaken into Buddhahood. So if there are no "souls" and the ego is merely the illusory construct of the mind, then what exactly is a sentient being and what is a sentient being made of in its essence? A more compelling question is who and what is it that awakens?

Not sure if this is in the suttras, but I think I recall a story about the Buddha remembering his multiple lives as he awakens. What is it within the Buddha that remains the same as he took on multiple forms in multiple lives?

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 16-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
The historical Buddha of the Pali Canon suttas didn't teach about a " true self," nor about "Buddha Nature."....that's a later Mahayana idea.

This article by Bhikkhu Thanissaro "Freedom from Buddha Nature" is worth reading:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...dhanature.html

_/|\_

Theravada does not use the words Buddha Nature but in Pali scriptures ithe general concept is mentioned many times.

" If there were not the Unconditioned, there would be no benefit or result of living the Holy Life. But since there is the Unconditioned, then living the Holy Life has a goal.”
Old 16-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Theravada does not use the words Buddha Nature but in Pali scriptures ithe general concept is mentioned many times.

" If there were not the Unconditioned, there would be no benefit or result of living the Holy Life. But since there is the Unconditioned, then living the Holy Life has a goal.”

Oh wow. That is the perfect word to describe it; "Unconditioned." This is what I always understood within my being and I somehow jumbled up various terminology. For instance I see Buddha, Soul, Higher Self, Divine Self, God Self, LOVE, Oneness, Consciousness, the Void (Taoist) etc. as the same thing. But I think out of all those terminology the one that describes it most beautifully and without baggage would be the Unconditioned. :)

According to wikipedia, "The Buddhist traditions have disagreed on what it is in a person that is reborn, as well as how quickly the rebirth occurs after each death. Some Buddhist traditions assert that "no self" doctrine means that there is no perduring self, but there is avacya (inexpressible) self which migrates from one life to another. The majority of Buddhist traditions, in contrast, assert that Vijnana (a person's consciousness) though evolving, exists as a continuum and is the mechanistic basis of what undergoes rebirth, rebecoming and redeath." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism))

I recommend reading the entire article!

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬