Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

View Poll Results: Cost aside, which would you prefer?
Burial 7 9.21%
Cremation 48 63.16%
I don't care 15 19.74%
Other 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-06-2018, 08:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
A number of people here have indicated “donating their body to science,” and that might include donating their body to a medical school to be used for practice and instruction for medical students. Medical schools usually take the entire physical body. Most medical schools will embalm the body and use it repeatedly to instruct students until it starts to decay. Although the skeleton, including the skull, etc., are usually kept for an indefinite period of time and used for instruction.

It was also mentioned here about being buried alive; rest assured if you die in the U.S. and receive an autopsy, your body will be dead before they bury it. If you do not receive an autopsy, that is another story. I have seen people wake up in the morgue, before an autopsy, after a doctor had pronounced them dead. There are also stories of people being buried alive, or placed in a cremation furnace, and then waking up before the fire is turned on.

In the U.S., there is “clinical death “and “brain death.” Clinical death is the cessation of blood circulation and breathing, while brain death is the cessation, or interruption, of brain activity. Biological death occurs when there is no more activity in the brain and the heart, but a person can still be kept alive on machines if the family so desires, or it is indicated in their previously submitted medical directive or Last-Will & Testament, etc. Still, in my opinion, there is a blurred line between what constitutes life and what constitutes death. There are people who are brain dead but they are still alive because their heart and lungs are still functioning on their own without the help of a machine.

These are things that people indicate in a medical directive, i.e. if you are brain dead do you still want to be kept alive, or if your body can not draw breath and pump blood on its own, do you want to be kept alive on machines, etc. There are lots of such scenarios. I have worked with patients who were in a coma for a very long time, months or even years, and they are still alive, although usually bed-ridden and kept alive by machines. I think it is important to not only indicate how you want to dispose of your body at the time of death, but also do you want to be kept alive if you are in a coma, have no brain activity, etc. End of life decisions that others, loved ones, your physician, attorney, etc., may be helpful for them to know.

All good advice, Starman. I have a signed medical directive along with witnesses for that document that states I am to be taken off of life support for the various reasons you mentioned. If one doesn't have something like this, next of kin decide ones fate.
Old 29-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozniack
That's a big fear of mine. There have been stories of people waking up at their own funerals. What if those people would not have woken up until after their funeral? *shudders*

When I'm dead I want to stay dead. It's not that I don't want to be alive, I just don't want any surprises~! lol

i usd 2 be terfid of bean crematedd i did thn sean thngs on tv pepepe bean bured alivee r suvird it tramdisedd thn 1s it did died berdeu alivee i feal lk a rottenn dethh i do i no cremtsonn yore soul still gosee in 2 spirtt woldd it duz

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 30-06-2018, 04:31 AM
Master
A lot of people just don’t realize the value of a “Medical Directive” until it is too late. Not everyone dies immediately and some are left trapped in their body, from an injury or illness, without any way to express themselves or move. I have talked to patients who were once in a coma and then they woke up, and many told me that they could hear, and sometimes see, everything that is taking place around their physical body, in their hospital room, etc., even though they themselves could not move or speak.

I find it interesting that traditionally Buddhists will wait anywhere from three to over one-hundred days before cremating or burying the deceased, and it is my understanding that they do this to help the deceased person’s consciousness leave this Earthy plane and go into the light. They talk to the body during this period of time to help encourage that deceased person’s consciousness to let go.

Traditionally Jews will bury their dead in a plain wood box that is not air tight; and will deteriorate into the earth along with the body. Unlike most caskets in the U.S. that are ornamental and even air tight. Jewish Law is against cremation. As a side note, in an air tight casket, like those mostly used in the U.S., the body turns to mush and is not allowed to dissolve into the earth. An I don’t understand why here in the U.S. caskets are made for comfort with lots of padding, etc. The person is dead, what’s up with the comfort? The casket is usually the most expensive item in an American funeral.

Traditionally Muslims will bury their dead as soon as possible, usually within 24-hours of death if possible, and during this time the body is never left alone. Traditional Muslims do not believe in embalming, they see it as disrespecting the body. An they often do not use caskets, they just place the body directly in the ground without putting it in a box or coffin.

How a person’s body is disposed of is often dictated by their religion, philosophy, or culture. However, sometimes it is dictated by the law of the land where that person will have their final resting place. I was exposed to a lot of death in the late 1960’s and started studying death and dying in the 1970’s, so I feel like I have a lot to share in regards to the physical death of the human body. Although, I do not consider myself to be an expert on anyone else’s death.
Old 30-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Master

Starman I didn't read your entire informative post so please forgive if this is a repeat, but one also has to go to your hospital with the documents so they have a copy of them in your file.
Old 30-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Starman I didn't read your entire informative post so please forgive if this is a repeat, but one also has to go to your hospital with the documents so they have a copy of them in your file.

As Blackraven mentioned, the medical directive form has to bear the signatures of two to three witnesses; these people witness you signing that form, and you can give a copy to one, or more, of your witnesses. The witnesses can be family members, your physician, friends, etc. I gave a copy of my medical directive to one of my witnesses, and also a copy to the VA, because as a military veteran I get most of my healthcare from the VA, and my final resting place here on earth will be at a VA cemetery.

The VA scanned my medical directive form into my computerized medical records that they have on file. Many hospitals will also scan the form into a patients computerized records. I also have a typed and signed note in my wallet, right behind my drivers license, which reads "in the event of my death please contact" and the name, and phone number, of my physician, my County Veterans Service Officer, etc.

As a former ambulance paramedic, and having worked in hospital emergency rooms, I know when a person dies, either at the scene or in an ER, they look in the person's wallet, or purse, to get some identifying information and information on who to contact, and they remove that card or other info from the deceased persons wallet or purse. The people I have listed on the note in my wallet know about my medical directive and my Last-Will, which is also on file.

So what I have shared here are just some suggestions, putting a note in your wallet, etc. There are lots of other ways to do this, keeping in mind that the most convenient and readily accessible way is probably the best way. A lot of people don't want their body lying in a morgue for a long time because no one has claimed their body, or having a doctor who does not know your wishes make decisions for you if you can not make those decisions for your self. The note in my wallet gives these professionals some guidance in such cases.

P.S. Some veterans wear dog tags with info on who to contact, I have also seen kids wearing dog tags with next of kin contact info, their medical condition info, etc. Medical bracelets and necklaces are also popular.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Master

I wear a Medical Alert bracelet with my contact number on it.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Master
Creamation, after I donate my body to whoever needs it. My physical body will be useless to me after death. If my body can be useful after death let it be.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Experiencer
I will be buried after religious rituals as there are no descendants to take care of my wishes of cremation.

Namaskar
Old 04-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Guide
Cremation with my ashes scattered, so my body can go back to the earth from where I came

I am not an individual having a universal experience, but the universe having an individual experience. Where consciousness is the universe experiencing itself through each of us.

Destiny is not the path given to us - but the path we choose for ourselves.

Current resources:
Tom Campbell: Ultimate Reality www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhv-XCff4_I

Currently reading:
Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are: Alan Watts
A Brief History of Time: Stephen Hawking
Old 05-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Newbie ;)

This is something I've always thought about. I would rather be cremated and have my ashes scattered at sea. I've never felt comfortable with the idea of being buried not sure why.

Cremation feels more free and inline with my spirit.