Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 AM
Experiencer
The awakening

Hey everyone,

I hope you all are doing rad today. I just wanted to add my two cents regarding the afterlife discussion.

I personally believe in an afterlife but I understand why people have a hard time accepting that an afterlife is real because something as immaterial as a soul doesn't jive with our understanding of medicine or science. But I will digress that statement here.

If we look at the universe, there is no such thing as empty space. Quantum mechanics teaches us that there are particles coming into existence at every point in space. So the universe is inherently pure energy even though the planets are flying apart.

In 2016, Swedish scientist made a break through that offers evidences that consciousness transcends our bodies.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ences-are-REAL

I think believing an afterlife gives us something to look forward to and IMO that's inherently a good thing. Take this as good news that the brain doesn't generate consciousness. It only filters it so that a specific experience where memories can be created becomes possible.

Take care and God Bless

sf
Old 03-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Master

I would have read your article but I was unwilling to accept their cookies.

I do believe in an afterlife, not because scientists are coming around but because I have memories of an afterlife, or should I say a time in between to incarnations.

It's comforting for me to know there is a loving Creator(s) up there who supports and wants nothing but the best for us. My frustration lies in a definition of Creator(s). I haven't found anything that resonates with me. I am toying with the Goddess path but it's foreign to my roots.

I'm wondering at the title of this thread. Have you just recently awakened, thus now you believe in an afterlife?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
I would have read your article but I was unwilling to accept their cookies.

I do believe in an afterlife, not because scientists are coming around but because I have memories of an afterlife, or should I say a time in between to incarnations.

It's comforting for me to know there is a loving Creator(s) up there who supports and wants nothing but the best for us. My frustration lies in a definition of Creator(s). I haven't found anything that resonates with me. I am toying with the Goddess path but it's foreign to my roots.

I'm wondering at the title of this thread. Have you just recently awakened, thus now you believe in an afterlife?

I copied and past the article here.

UK express. https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ences-are-REAL

Quote:
Scienctists have confirmed that out of body experiences are real
A breakthrough study in Sweden has shown that out of body experiences are real.

Many people have claimed to have experienced the phenomenon when they come close to death or when undergoing surgery, for example

The Source as I understand it is who we call God. And God will be anything you need God to be. The Christian bible uses the phrase "I AM" or "I am who I am". How you choose to relate to God, or how you divide God into other gods is totally for your revelation and soul journey.

I use to be an Atheist who thought reductive materialism was the only real truth out there. But I came to SF looking for answers and it has been an amazing journey.

sf

Edited by staff for the copy paste rule. To read the full text please go to the website quoted above.

Last edited by Tobi : 03-11-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
So sorry, soulforce, but copying and pasting a large block of text from an external source is against Spiritual Forums rules. Even when you have respectfully quoted the source.
Some forums allow that but not here.
I know that made it easier for linen to read, but I have had to edit the post.

Full list of the Forum rules here:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/fa...q_new_faq_item

And the one about copy-paste:

Copy-Paste: One or two lines at most of relevant text of material from other sites or sources and a link to the relevant text for further reading is allowed on the condition that the author is credited and the source linked is not a commercial site (promoting or selling goods or services). Quotes of religious texts such as the Bible or Quran must also be no more than one or two lines. Posts that quote or copy-paste more than one or two short lines of text will be removed or edited. Repeatedly breaching this rule will lead to warnings and possible Disciplinary Action.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Master

I don't understand what that experiment proves. It is like a non-Chinese team of scientists would try to demonstrate that whatever Chinese people speak and write is an illusion that can be repeated with technological means.

The only way to learn if there is an afterlife, and what that is, is to experience it in an altered state of consciousness yourself.

As far as I know, OBEs are projections into your own individual slice of the imagination plane, and has is no closer to the afterlife plane than our physical plane. It is the same plane where we focus our attention when we imagine something, and where we project when we dream. OBEs are as "real" as our imagination and our dreams are.

I'd say that our imaginary is primary, and the reality we perceive is secondary, and, that both are part of the imaginary of our essence (soil) that resides on the afterlife plane, having physical experiences.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Master

Ah, you used to be an athiest. Congratulations on your realization that this life is divine and full of love.

Yes, I know all that about God. I used to have a friend who would say, "don't like the God you grew up with, create a new one." This Creator/God thing is so misty to me. I cant see clearly through it. Universe is vague. Creator is vague. God is to masculine (at least in my mind's eye) which I don't feel comfortable with. Goddess is to foreign. Aliens are creepy.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
So sorry, soulforce, but copying and pasting a large block of text from an external source is against Spiritual Forums rules. Even when you have respectfully quoted the source.
Some forums allow that but not here.
I know that made it easier for linen to read, but I have had to edit the post.

Full list of the Forum rules here:
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/fa...q_new_faq_item

And the one about copy-paste:

Copy-Paste: One or two lines at most of relevant text of material from other sites or sources and a link to the relevant text for further reading is allowed on the condition that the author is credited and the source linked is not a commercial site (promoting or selling goods or services). Quotes of religious texts such as the Bible or Quran must also be no more than one or two lines. Posts that quote or copy-paste more than one or two short lines of text will be removed or edited. Repeatedly breaching this rule will lead to warnings and possible Disciplinary Action.

I apologize for that mistake.

Thanks for the clarification.

sf
Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I don't understand what that experiment proves. It is like a non-Chinese team of scientists would try to demonstrate that whatever Chinese people speak and write is an illusion that can be repeated with technological means.

The only way to learn if there is an afterlife, and what that is, is to experience it in an altered state of consciousness yourself.

As far as I know, OBEs are projections into your own individual slice of the imagination plane, and has is no closer to the afterlife plane than our physical plane. It is the same plane where we focus our attention when we imagine something, and where we project when we dream. OBEs are as "real" as our imagination and our dreams are.

I'd say that our imaginary is primary, and the reality we perceive is secondary, and, that both are part of the imaginary of our essence (soil) that resides on the afterlife plane, having physical experiences.

I can respect your position, but I don't like your metaphor though. I think science is just starting to catch up. It doesn't always make giant leaps in discoveries. Sometimes it takes a series of experiments like the one done in Sweden to start building a case for consciousness. Perhaps it was premature for the article to call it a proof, but IMO it's an interesting discovery for sure.

I don't believe people who are experiencing OBE's or NDE are imagining it. People who are day dreaming or imagining scenarios have an Alpha level brain activity. People who experience OBE's have a Theta level of brain activity, and dreaming is part of REM level brain activity.

When some one is dying or experiencing an OBE, the brain is behaving differently than normal sleep cycle.

I don't believe the brain produces consciousness, but rather it filters it.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:45 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
Ah, you used to be an athiest. Congratulations on your realization that this life is divine and full of love.

Yes, I know all that about God. I used to have a friend who would say, "don't like the God you grew up with, create a new one." This Creator/God thing is so misty to me. I cant see clearly through it. Universe is vague. Creator is vague. God is to masculine (at least in my mind's eye) which I don't feel comfortable with. Goddess is to foreign. Aliens are creepy.

I sometimes feel strange about using the word God too. God does have a patriarchal connotation so I understand where you're coming from.

The reason why I use God/source interchangeably is because it's one syllable. And when I say that term, most people know what I'm talking about.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulforce
I can respect your position, but I don't like your metaphor though. I think science is just starting to catch up. It doesn't always make giant leaps in discoveries. Sometimes it takes a series of experiments like the one done in Sweden to start building a case for consciousness. Perhaps it was premature for the article to call it a proof, but IMO it's an interesting discovery for sure.

I don't believe people who are experiencing OBE's or NDE are imagining it. People who are day dreaming or imagining scenarios have an Alpha level brain activity. People who experience OBE's have a Theta level of brain activity, and dreaming is part of REM level brain activity.

When some one is dying or experiencing an OBE, the brain is behaving differently than normal sleep cycle.

I don't believe the brain produces consciousness, but rather it filters it.

I guess I didn't convey my opinion clearly enough, in some respects. We also have some differences of opinion.

I didn't say that the brain produces consciousness.

Dreaming happens in theta state, not in alpha, same as OBE and lucid dreaming. There is also dreaming in delta, without REM. Imagining happens in beta mostly.

What I intended to say is that OBE / lucid dreaming / astral projection are focuses of attention into the imagination plane, that is a non-physical plane, but it isn't the same as the afterlife plane. Whatever you experience there isn't less 'real" than the reality we perceive consciously in the physical. I don't equate making up stuff" with dreaming, OBE, etc..

Whatever you experience during an OBE is what your subconscious creates, from your beliefs, emotions, perceptions of your inner senses. If you encounter a guide, a deceased relative, alien, etc., they aren't actually those, they are creations / interpretations of your subconscious of some stimuli. Your perceived physical reality is your subconscious creation too.

I wrote all of the above to, hopefully, clarify what I meant, not to argue who's right.

Although I have a scientific background, or maybe because of that, I know the limitations of the scientific method, and how much weight the scientists' conclusions deserve.