Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 01-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Suspended
Ascender

A characteristic feature of Dzogchen is that it is totally converse the conventional buddhist view that insight is the effect of right practice. All buddhist paths hold that a right practice is the prerequisite/cause for insight and liberation.
In Dzogchen first there is the insight analog 'direct introduction' and on this basis Dzogchen practice can be conducted. I.e. practice in Dzogchen is the stabilisation of the encounter that happened in direct introduction. There is no meditation that entails the decisive experience. Actually as soon as meditation is experienced one has gone astray and totally lost connection to what has been directly introduced
Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Master
Dzogchen has practices. True practioners have to work up to Dzogchen with practices like shine with object to shine without object.

Dzogchen believes in the direct transmission from guru to student, a direct introduction to the Natural State. Very, very few are able to let go and stay in that state of being. Which is why Dzogchen uses a bunch of meditation and tantra techniques to achieve not just the natural state but the rainbow body as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Dzogchen has practices. True practioners have to work up to Dzogchen with practices like shine with object to shine without object.
That is what some say in the context of so called 'lower capacity', yes. Funny that you call those 'true practioners'
Quote:
...Which is why Dzogchen uses a bunch of meditation and tantra techniques to achieve not just the natural state but the rainbow body as well.
That's the traditions' mix of Dzogchen with everything else The traditions simply do not want to tell their students that they do not have the capacity. So they let them practice what is not dzogchen and call it dzogchen.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
That is what some say in the context of so called 'lower capacity', yes. Funny that you call those 'true practioners'

That's the traditions' mix of Dzogchen with everything else The traditions simply do not want to tell their students that they do not have the capacity. So they let them practice what is not dzogchen and call it dzogchen.

Dzogchen is a tradition with many practices it is the people that follow the tradition and practices is what I would call true practioners of Dzogchen.

I would disagree that just because one doesn't permanently reside in Rigpa that they are of lower capacity.

Dzogchen master Norbu for example has said that he can only maintain Rigpa for 3 seconds at a time. I am sure you are not saying that he is of lower capacity?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Master
Smile

Quote:
Dzogchen is a tradition with many practices it is the people that follow the tradition and practices is what I would call true practioners of Dzogchen.

I would disagree that just because one doesn't permanently reside in Rigpa that they are of lower capacity.

Dzogchen master Norbu for example has said that he can only maintain Rigpa for 3 seconds at a time. I am sure you are not saying that he is of lower capacity?

Why would Norbu time himself when he's in a state of pure awareness ? That is a strange thing to do, why not just reside in rigpa where there are no thoughts to count the seconds
Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
That's actually the categorisation of the traditions themselves. If there wouldn't be higher and lower capacities then there wouldn't be different practioners. That is simple logic.

Quote:
I do not care what this persons says or does.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Why would Norbu time himself when he's in a state of pure awareness ? That is a strange thing to do, why not just reside in rigpa where there are no thoughts to count the seconds

It was in refute to the people who think they had arrived and reside in Rigpa 24/7.

Also, Rigpa has thoughts.

Residing in silence is not the goal or Rigpa.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Master
Quote:
That's actually the categorisation of the traditions themselves. If there wouldn't be higher and lower capacities then there wouldn't be different practioners. That is simple logic.

I do not care what this persons says or does.

What do you believe is a higher and lower capacity person?

Also, if we are discussing Dzogchen then Norbu's opinion should matter.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
What do you believe is a higher and lower capacity person?
I have just quoted from a Longchen Rabjam text. If you want to learn about traditional categorizations of capacities then please look for yourself.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Master
Quote:
I have just quoted from a Longchen Rabjam text. If you want to learn about traditional categorizations of capacities then please look for yourself.

Yes I am familiar with Longchen Rabjam and have recommended it to many myself.

http://community.livingunbound.net/i.../#comment-2365

It is a step by step meditation and understanding of the various states of being along the path.

I must have missed your quote from him about capacity and direct introduction.