Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 AM
deepsea

Spiritualism as a Religion.

Simple question?

Is Spiritualism regarded as a Religion?
If it is.......why isn't it included in the telephone directories under the heading of 'Religion'?

Deepsea
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
pre-dawn

Spiritualism seems to consist mainly of talking to dead people one knew when they were alive with little else behind or beyond it.
How could one make a religion out of this?

Spiritualism is an extremely limited aspect of our existence, not sufficient to guide us.

When these dead people were alive we probably did our utmost not to take their advice or listen to them, 'I am me!', and now that they are dead one wants to do what we avoided all along? LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
mac

[quote=pre-dawn]

Spiritualism seems to consist mainly of talking to dead people one knew when they were alive with little else behind or beyond it. I can see that - from the perspective of someone who knows little about Spiritualism....
How could one make a religion out of this? As opposed to what other religions are made out of you mean - stories, make-believe and unsupported beliefs in many cases....

Spiritualism is an extremely limited aspect of our existence, not sufficient to guide us. That's right when you have no knowledge of what is taught, what evidence is available...One would be a fool to accept guidance under such circumstances. Never get that in mainstream religion...

When these dead people were alive we probably did our utmost not to take their advice or listen to them, 'I am me!', and now that they are dead one wants to do what we avoided all along? laugh out loud at what you don't have a clue about. You gave me a good chuckle alright!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Experiencer

[quote=mac]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn

Spiritualism seems to consist mainly of talking to dead people one knew when they were alive with little else behind or beyond it. I can see that - from the perspective of someone who knows little about Spiritualism....
How could one make a religion out of this? As opposed to what other religions are made out of you mean - stories, make-believe and unsupported beliefs in many cases....

Spiritualism is an extremely limited aspect of our existence, not sufficient to guide us. That's right when you have no knowledge of what is taught, what evidence is available...One would be a fool to accept guidance under such circumstances. Never get that in mainstream religion...

When these dead people were alive we probably did our utmost not to take their advice or listen to them, 'I am me!', and now that they are dead one wants to do what we avoided all along? laugh out loud at what you don't have a clue about. You gave me a good chuckle alright!

Now, Mac. . .

Yes, that last one's a great point! Didn't even Jesus say, "if they didn't listen to the prophets, why would they listen to one who rose from the dead"? If we ignored Mom for 78 years while she was incarnate, why will we pay attention to her if she speaks from the grave?

I say that Spiritualism is (or could be or should be) a religion.

Then again I say that Spiritualism could (or should) enhance your beliefs in another religion: or might cause you to rethink them.

I'm new to Spiritualism and have MUCH, MUCH to learn about it: but so far, it's been my impression that all Spiritualist revelations are NOT saying that the next world is identical: any more than Near Death Experiencers, or conventional religious teachers (whether Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, or whatever: whether across religions, or within the same religion) are all teaching the same things about the next world.

Jim
Old 13-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Enya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
I say that Spiritualism is (or could be or should be) a religion.

Spiritualism *is* a registered religion in the UK.
Old 13-12-2011, 04:44 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya

quite - I wonder how many times it has to be said? ad infinitum, perhaps.....
Old 14-12-2011, 03:28 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
But didn't someone say that this is based on a convenient lie so that they can perform marriages, etc? Does this only apply the the USA?
Are the UK spiritualist honest and the USA ones are not?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 AM
deepsea

Quote:
Spiritualism seems to consist mainly of talking to dead people one knew when they were alive with little else behind or beyond it.
How could one make a religion out of this?

Spiritualism is an extremely limited aspect of our existence, not sufficient to guide us.

When these dead people were alive we probably did our utmost not to take their advice or listen to them, 'I am me!', and now that they are dead one wants to do what we avoided all along? LOL

Talking to 'dead people'?
My oh my,where did you get your ideas from?
There is no death,only life beyond physical death.

Are you aware that the spiritualist movement have their own churches,their own ministers?
Spiritualist ministers can conduct services for instance funeral services?
To me that is a religion.

Deepsea.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea
Talking to 'dead people'?
My oh my,where did you get your ideas from?
There is no death,only life beyond physical death.

Are you aware that the spiritualist movement have their own churches,their own ministers?
Spiritualist ministers can conduct services for instance funeral services?
To me that is a religion.
For all practical purposes the people spiritualists are talking or listening to, are dead.

So, deepsea and mac, what do spiritualists belief which makes them distinct from other religions?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM
mac

Quote:
For all practical purposes the people spiritualists are talking or listening to, are dead.

So, deepsea and mac, what do spiritualists belief which makes them distinct from other religions?

You had plenty to say about Spiritualism in your earlier posting. Surely you already know the answer to the question you're now asking???