Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 23-11-2010, 04:56 PM
mahakali

cool ill check it out, ya know i felt the same way about el-p but the rimes do make sense after a few times. the way he flows, rimes, the lyrics, and the beats are very esoteric and the words have Frost like depth. the sentience's rime long and sometime with every other sentience with a flow within a flow that goes just off beat making a chunky beat even chunkier if that makes sense. nothing does it for me like el-p does. its my fav.it didn't make sense at first and made me uncomfortable to even listen to but now it makes my heart jump out of my chest every time no matter how many times i hear it and the lyrics cant possible make sense all the way. true poetry. the new album makes more sense than the last one you should hear no kings, the meanest things, run the numbers, and emg. http://www.mixpod.com/playlist/69454841

oh yeah and dont forget about Jurassic 5 and Del the funk fiend lol

Last edited by mahakali : 23-11-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 24-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Master
Yeah, he's an alright lyricist, it fits his style, just not my favourite. As for production, and his sound, he's expanding the parameters of hip hop, in my opinion, but even besides that, very rich captivating sound. Can tell he's passionate about music. Little too dramatic at times for me. It is very good though, IMO. I usually find something i don't like about everyone i do like lol. Haven't heard new El-p album. You may like the Killah Priest DJ Spooky colaboration, or DJ Spooky and J-Live. I like Spooky cause he does off the wall, creative stuff. Not afraid to mix it up. On the darker and psychedelic side also.

Quannum is one of my favourites; Gift of Gab, Lateef, Lyrics Born, etc. (El-p is on a track with them actually on Quannum Spectrum album) Old Rakim. One of my favourites IMO is K-Os, out of Toronto; like him more on the rhythm/vibe/harmony level than rhymes also, but he is competent lyricist.

Apologize for hijacking thread here, (if that's what we did) trying to keep it on topic, there is definitely some hip hop out there that falls into category of 'dark music' lots out there these days that rap about reptilians, aliens, 2012.. etc. etc. Especially lately.

Even new Gift of Gab - 'Escape to Mars'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hoXdMdYoJ4

Last edited by Deusdrum : 24-11-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 24-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Master
How did that rap nonsence get on this hardcore metal thread?

Of course most metal is all attitude and no skill so I go for the hard rock music and leave the inane metal to the young ones. The thing is rocking is a fine art, and alot of bands just draw stick men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSgi...eature=related
Old 24-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
How did that rap nonsence get on this hardcore metal thread?

Of course most metal is all attitude and no skill so I go for the hard rock music and leave the inane metal to the young ones. The thing is rocking is a fine art, and alot of bands just draw stick men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSgiCfdVpQ&feature=related

Gem - It says metal and Dark Music. There is plenty of hip hop that i would consider 'dark music'. If you are ignorant of a type of music, please don't call it 'nonsence'

if you even read my above post, i did apologize if it went off topic (which i don't think it did really) and did try to keep it on topic.

Feel free to take it in another direction, but please don't insult an art form that i happen to love. You are welcome to you opinion of course, you may not like it, but it is not nonsense. I said my piece already on metal. Not trying to start argument. No big deal. You don't like rap, i get it. That doesn't make it nonsense however.

Last edited by Deusdrum : 24-11-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 24-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Master
I would argue in all seriousness that as far as lyrics goes, there are hip hop artists that are beyond any other form of music that i have come across, the good stuff at least, and i listen to any and all forms of music.

It's a shame that so many people think of rap as somehow inferior; i guess we have the radio, MTV, and the music industry in general to blame, as they exploit and potray 'rap' as all about money, power, gangsta, sexist garbage that you typically hear on t.v. or the radio. maybe it is a generation thing also in some sense.

Oh well. To each their own.

*edit* I would put King Crimson in there also, as dark, even some of Brian Eno's work has dark sort of edge to it sometimes. I find it dark in a spacey sort of way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzA9l1C2Xg

wow, look at me, im so eclectic lol jk

Last edited by Deusdrum : 24-11-2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old 24-11-2010, 04:29 AM
mahakali

hey mainstream rap sucks thats true imo but just think, it is possible for someone to rap about very very intelligent stuff right? think about it? if its possible than its been done and thats what we are talking about. dont pass judgment this hip hop **** made me throw the metal right in the storage cause rap can express a lot more and unfold with words the greatest meaning, enlightened hip hop artists no freaken kidding! its awesome! not hoes and being gangster or having money. in fact the rap i listen to talks about the shamefulness of **** rap put out by the money hungry media that keeps us dumb and easily controlled they rap about it on every album at least every other song. don't judge dude just don't, its never a good idea to assume that something could only be one way. eminem im sorry its ego filled sold out arrogant blindfolded mainstream like 50 cents or something. comparing him to the poets i listen to is like comparing Jimmy Hendrix with Avril Lavine "well they both play guitars, whats the difference?" big difference my friends big difference, or comparing Kurt Cobain with lady ga ga ''shes such a poet, oh she writes her own songs though" i dont think so.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
Gem - It says metal and Dark Music. There is plenty of hip hop that i would consider 'dark music'. If you are ignorant of a type of music, please don't call it 'nonsence'

if you even read my above post, i did apologize if it went off topic (which i don't think it did really) and did try to keep it on topic.

Feel free to take it in another direction, but please don't insult an art form that i happen to love. You are welcome to you opinion of course, you may not like it, but it is not nonsense. I said my piece already on metal. Not trying to start argument. No big deal. You don't like rap, i get it. That doesn't make it nonsense however.

I have this ability where I can discern what has quality and what is just bunged on.

To be musician... play something and play it for hours a day and maybe in 10 or 15 years you'll actually create something refined and remarkable, but anyone can rap.

Listen to this and see what's real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQzwqGBLYn0&NR=1

No words needed.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I have this ability where I can discern what has quality and what is just bunged on.

To be musician... play something and play it for hours a day and maybe in 10 or 15 years you'll actually create something refined and remarkable, but anyone can rap.

Listen to this and see what's real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQzwqGBLYn0&NR=1

No words needed.

LOL!!!!!! ANYONE can rap eh? You know what? Im not going to argue with you, you do not know anything about hip hop. There is no point. I listen to a wide variety of everything. Anyone can rap? That is such an ignorant and ridiculous comment that i can't continue this conversation when you are so clearly biased in your position. You really think that MC's just pick up a mic and are rap stars? Give me a break. Blood, sweat and tears. For the Love. The best hip hop will often never be heard on any t.v. or radio station unless you look for it.

I have albums that i have listened to hundreds of times over and i STILL hear lyrics that i didn't catch the first few hundred listens. The skill and craft involved is heads and shoulders above any rock i have ever heard in terms of lyricism.

And you know what? Have you ever seen a DJ perform live on turntables? Id like to see you spend 10-15 years with decks and come anywhere close to what guys like Craze and Qbert can do. Im sorry, please don't speak about something you clearly know nothing about. No offense. But that is a fact.

Im done with this thread. You may have the last word is you so please.

P.E.A.C.E. ~
Old 24-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdrum
LOL!!!!!! ANYONE can rap eh? You know what? Im not going to argue with you, you do not know anything about hip hop. There is no point. I listen to a wide variety of everything. Anyone can rap? That is such an ignorant and ridiculous comment that i can't continue this conversation when you are so clearly biased in your position. You really think that MC's just pick up a mic and are rap stars? Give me a break. Blood, sweat and tears. For the Love. The best hip hop will often never be heard on any t.v. or radio station unless you look for it.

I have albums that i have listened to hundreds of times over and i STILL hear lyrics that i didn't catch the first few hundred listens. The skill and craft involved is heads and shoulders above any rock i have ever heard in terms of lyricism.

And you know what? Have you ever seen a DJ perform live on turntables? Id like to see you spend 10-15 years with decks and come anywhere close to what guys like Craze and Qbert can do. Im sorry, please don't speak about something you clearly know nothing about. No offense. But that is a fact.

Im done with this thread. You may have the last word is you so please.

P.E.A.C.E. ~

A singer sings coz they can and a rapper raps coz they can't.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:20 AM
mahakali

yeah i can play a few chords but i played for like 5 months, to the naked ear it sounds good but i wouldn't say im a real musician. now the same goes with rap, shoot any one can write poetry roses are red violets are blue i can sing and i can rap to is nothing compared to (lightheaded lyrics)
Who were you then, who are you to become?
A drink ring distorts the pages,
Helping the heads to swell and the colors to run.

its poetry gem can you not get that? poetry that you can dance to making wonderful even better. playing an instrument is very expressive true and i love and respect that but its a different kind of expression, it doesn't make sense to compare,and no not every one can rap that is a funny thing to say and it shows that you know nothing about it and you feel that you already know the truth about it so that makes it apparent that you are very judgmental. i hated books too but then i found the right author and realized that there not all the same, there's a whole new point of view i can have that changes everything. im not asking you to like it but i am asking you to stop making assumptions and believing them to be true. maybe the culture is not identifiable with you, you dont get it and that makes you hate it, well maybe you just dont understand, or you have been listening to the radio. dont you know that the media is garb? i know it hurts to be lied to but that is what happens, we are a drugged society, we revolve around needing to meet status quo and the industry/media encourages this behavior and that is why you have this assumption in your head, your falling for it too,its not fair that the media controls us we must fight and indi rap has brought this to my attention more than any guitar or fu fighter song could ever do, not saying that rap is better, just different, different purpose different needs met. "we must fight against society we must fight the real enemy, wake the heck up"(soulfly edited lol) even soulfly can not sing it the way it can be rapped, i dont know how hip hop is so good at expressing things it just is, you positively have no idea the extent of genius that goes into it im not just saying this to be cute or own something i think is cool, really man you have no clue. could you consider for a moment that you may not have all the answers when it comes to this? humor me, i want to see if you could step down lol