Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 23-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Master
Sagan's story of "Contact", is about FAITH.

Scientist Dr. Carl Sagan, the practical and objectively minded scientist, clearly wrote a novel about faith before his departure from this "world".

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 24-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Ascender
Quotes from Carl Sagan:

The Rigidity of Religion

Religion has remained rigid, even in the face of evidence that has proven it wrong, Sagan believed. According to him:

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion. [Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address]

The major religions on the Earth contradict each other left and right. You can't all be correct. And what if all of you are wrong? It's a possibility, you know. You must care about the truth, right? Well, the way to winnow through all the differing contentions is to be skeptical. I'm not any more skeptical about your religious beliefs than I am about every new scientific idea I hear about. But in my line of work, they're called hypotheses, not inspiration and not revelation. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 162. ]

At the extremes it is difficult to distinguish pseudoscience from rigid, doctrinaire religion. [Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science As a Candle in the Dark]
Old 24-10-2016, 01:02 AM
Master
Morpheus,

I believe Albert Einstein would agree with Carl Sagan. I know I do.

....and I believe Dr. Ellie Arroway, played by Jodie Foster, who could do little more than utter "It's so beautiful. I had no idea"...upon encountering the awesomeness of Space, travelling far to experience faith's promise ....would also agree.

"Small moves....Sparks".

Big moves for experiencing God's gift of Creation....

I love this movie....

Reference: http://ffilms.org/contact-1997/ Enjoy the movie here.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contac..._American_film)
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)
Old 24-10-2016, 01:16 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrio
Morpheus,

I believe Albert Einstein would agree with Carl Sagan. I know I do.

....and I believe Dr. Ellie Arroway, played by Jodie Foster, who could do little more than utter "It's so beautiful. I had no idea"...upon encountering the awesomeness of Space, travelling far to experience faith's promise ....would also agree.

"
And I agree with this awe, which I've personally encountered while out of body. It has nothing to do with religious imagery though, the bible is a man-made concoction.
Old 24-10-2016, 01:36 AM
Master
Organic born,

Personal discovery of Truth for one's self is the awesomeness I was referring to, as well.
“Why, that’s true! I am a perfect, unlimited gull!” Jonathan opened his eyes asking, "Where are we?” The Elder Chiang said, “We’re on some planet with a green sky and a double star for a sun.” Jonathan made a scree of delight. “IT WORKS!" “Well, of course it works, Jon,” said Chiang. “It always works, when you know what you’re doing." (and even when you don't)
Old 24-10-2016, 01:51 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrio
Organic born,

Personal discovery of Truth for one's self is the awesomeness I was referring to, as well.
I easily agree! :)
Old 26-10-2016, 10:21 PM
Ascender

It should be noted that Sagan, arch sceptic that he was, he was impressed sufficiently by the work of Ian Stevenson to conclude that reincarnation deserves serious study and was the best explanation for the cases Dr Stevenson compiled.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic born
And I agree with this awe, which I've personally encountered while out of body. It has nothing to do with religious imagery though, the bible is a man-made concoction.

The Word of God, which is presented to us in the Bible, all of which is validated in the Dead Dea Scrolls find, became flesh, and dwelt with mankind. As was prophesied in the written word itself, which comes to us from that greater reality existant.
The Eternal, apart from the illusion of linear, "space/time".

Seems Sagan himself was not the atheist that atheists would like to portray him as, true? Not sure when he passed on into that greater reality, existant? Was it before the release of the Wachowski's cinematic illustration?

Apparently though, he began to percieve something, who was the cosmologist, and astronomer.

Meanwhile, Physicist Kaku in his writings has cited the situation of, "The Matrix", as have others.

What does modern Physics reveal to us today, involving the underlying essence of matter, and physicality? Can you say?

Now also, what did Einstein himself say about the nature of percieved reality?
"An illusion"?

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
The Word of God, which is presented to us in the Bible, all of which is validated in the Dead Dea Scrolls find, became flesh, and dwelt with mankind. As was prophesied in the written word itself, which comes to us from that greater reality existant.
The Eternal, apart from the illusion of linear, "space/time".

Seems Sagan himself was not the atheist that atheists would like to portray him as, true? Not sure when he passed on into that greater reality, existant? Was it before the release of the Wachowski's cinematic illustration?

Apparently though, he began to percieve something, who was the cosmologist, and astronomer.

Meanwhile, Physicist Kaku in his writings has cited the situation of, "The Matrix", as have others.

What does modern Physics reveal to us today, involving the underlying essence of matter, and physicality? Can you say?

Now also, what did Einstein himself say about the nature of percieved reality?
"An illusion"?
"We are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, JR. :)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic born
"We are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, JR. :)

We are "embedded" here, as a consequence of a fall, from sometjing other, and greater. - me

"The majority of people are lost in the matrix of nature. Immersed in a sea of materiality. We must pray that they are reborn..."
Abdul Baha