Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 19-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Sungirl

how do you behave at christian ceremonies?

Please don't think this is a double post, I have also put a similar post in the christian section as I would like their opinions... but I also want to hear what other pagans do.

On friday I went to my husband's cousin's funeral. It was a beautiful christian ceremony, the hymn that was chosen was beautiful, but very christian.

The lord's prayer was also said by the congregation.

I have every respect for their path, and even get a sense of peace in churches. I love seeing anyone getting strength and peace from their religion, but christianity just doesn't resonate with me.

I don't want to be a hypocrite by saying prayers or singing hymns that I don't believe in, but I don't want to be seen as rude by not joining in.

What do you do in these situations?
Old 19-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Tabitha

Hi Tilia, I've replied in the Christianity section.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...855#post236855
Old 19-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Master
I recently attended my step-mother's funeral. I added my own invocations in the service, silently, and did a reading from Gibran as part of the service [vicar was also a fan ! ]
Old 19-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Scibat

I replied over here: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...855#post236855

Same answer applies regardless of which side of the fence you are one. (Or if you are on neither side.)
Old 19-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Medium_Laura

I respect the ritual of the deceased family or even the wedding of that family. Just as I would want others to respect my rituals :) You don't have to participate but to just be there for the celebration at hand. That is what matters.

I did attend a mass for someone and I refrained from saying the prayers. A lady next to me said.. "Oh? Don't you know the words? Here is a pamphlet so you can read along." That made me very uncomfortable! I knew the words... but I chose not to say them.
Old 19-06-2011, 05:45 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia
I don't want to be a hypocrite by saying prayers or singing hymns that I don't believe in, but I don't want to be seen as rude by not joining in.

What do you do in these situations?

Since I believe everyone has the right to his or her truth and no one truth is higher or above that of another, I say to each his own! I don't join in what I do not believe in.. neither do I lampoon it with derisive snorts or rolling of the eyes. In a situation such as you describe, I would simply lower my gaze and remain silent, neither joining in nor conveying with my expression that I find the activity offensive. Frankly I don't see how anyone else could find MY actions offensive at that point, either. If they wish to create offense where none is intended, then that's on them.
Old 20-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Somber_Mantis

I keep my mouth shut and my eyes forward.
I don't channel the same energy that the other people do, however.
Sometimes it gets me in trouble...sometimes it doesn't
It's not the people, though, that I try to conceal myself from interestingly enough. I could care less what they think, but understand how my actions can impair those close to me (causing me to "play nice" for the time being).

I'm mostly worried about those marble-statue like watchdogs which have a very nasty bark.
Old 20-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Summerland

I simply substitute the name of the Goddess silently in my heart and mind. I did that recently at my son's wedding.
Old 20-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Lady of the Mountain

I do not hold to christian, or any religious, beliefs but I am a servant of God and I believe he watches over us all regardless of religion or belief. So when I attend christian services, those of family and friends, I always participate in the prayers, not the ceremony. By praying we honor God, and we spread Love, and I always ask for that Love to pass through Mother Earth and heal her. That goes for all other services I attend for other religions.
Old 20-06-2011, 01:58 PM
LightFilledHeart

Good answers, all! There are as many ways of dealing with this issue as there are people with differing points of view