Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Ascender
I no longer choose to eat or share a table with non-vegans. I used to tell myself that it was okay, but now days I think it dishonors the noble creatures memory as if I am looking the other way. Sitting watching people mindlessly gnaw, smack, and suck their fingers with delight while they gorge on the bodies of those who never had a chance to taste life is unacceptable. To me the holidays represent feasting and coming together in the spirit of love. No one should have to die and suffer for that. I am not going to go out of my way to be rude, but I will make other plans.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Master
You do what you feel is right--it can be really hard to watch that if you're a highly compassionate, aware person.

I'm not quite so compassionate and aware yet, so it doesn't bother me too much. I'm more concerned with the awkward stares and questions. I don't like not fitting in.

But I'm sure I'll handle it well this year. :) First year as a practicing vegan (I'm not quite there yet fully, still working!) so this is a huge step for me. Not necessarily just taking a stand for animals, but to slowly take another step away from the life I knew.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsoo
You do what you feel is right--it can be really hard to watch that if you're a highly compassionate, aware person.

I'm not quite so compassionate and aware yet, so it doesn't bother me too much. I'm more concerned with the awkward stares and questions. I don't like not fitting in.

But I'm sure I'll handle it well this year. :) First year as a practicing vegan (I'm not quite there yet fully, still working!) so this is a huge step for me. Not necessarily just taking a stand for animals, but to slowly take another step away from the life I knew.

I've been a vegan for long time, and I just recently, (exactly yesterday) made this choice. You're right on all counts! It's hard to walk away from the life you know, and it does take time to develop the compassion. In fact I didn't start really feeling the connection until long after I switched. I mean I did feel some compassion, but it wasn't like it is now. What can I say? I was a bit of a dummy.

Less than a year ago, I finally gave up all my clothes, shoes, and accessories that were made of animal parts. You could say something in my mind finally clicked. Now I am taking this next big step forward in my own growth. I don't know what it means for the future, but I feel in my heart I am ready for this.

So having said that, I would never pressure you or anyone to make any major changes. Yes. I want that, but I also remember how far I have come.
Old 18-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Newbie ;)

Gardein makes some delicious meat free products, but I'm not sure if they are vegan. On Thanksgiving I saw someone tweet a holiday roast they sell. I'm looking to pick one up for Christmas, but so far local supermarkets don't carry them. Eventually I'm going to take a ride to Whole Foods and see if they have them.

gardein.com/product-type/holiday/
Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Experiencer

My family cooks for me a separate vegetable meal, when I go to visit them. When they come to me, I cook their favorite meat meal for them.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexi-Girl
I no longer choose to eat or share a table with non-vegans. I used to tell myself that it was okay, but now days I think it dishonors the noble creatures memory as if I am looking the other way. Sitting watching people mindlessly gnaw, smack, and suck their fingers with delight while they gorge on the bodies of those who never had a chance to taste life is unacceptable. To me the holidays represent feasting and coming together in the spirit of love. No one should have to die and suffer for that. I am not going to go out of my way to be rude, but I will make other plans.
While I personally think this is a tad extreme (I mean how would you do that practically with colleagues, friends, family, etc.? You'd have a very small group to eat with..), I respect your point of view. I personally have this with barbecues where the smell of burnt flesh is everywhere. Really off putting. A celebration of death, and amongst all meat eating this American cultural practice gone global is the least necessary one. Even more animals are to be slaughtered because humans want to 'celebrate' death during a hot summer day..
Old 07-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
I have to agree with Rah Nam.
And let everyone know how vegan you are, so there will be no disappointment. People may not know what to do, or what to cook for you....but you can always cheerfully say that you will bring over some vegan food and they can heat it up for you if they wish.
Tell them why you choose to be vegan. Short and sweet, so they don't feel you are critical of them and their choices.

How do you tell people why you chose veganism without sounding critical of their choices? Only if you switched for your own health I suppose, but if you quit because of violence and cruelty and deliberate abuse? What can you possibly say that wouldn't be pointing out that they're involved with and participating in animal cruelty?
Old 10-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Master

I tell people exactly why I am vegan, namely to live life free of cruelty to other living beings. This is a statement about how I feel. How they take my statement is up to them. I do tell them that are other reasons why people should be vegan, such as for its health benefits and its benefits to environment. But I do not hide my reason.