Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 30-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Deactivated Account

Lightbulb Olive Oil - Healthy or Not Healthy?

Do you know what is in your Olive Oil? Many Olive Oils in the market today are mixed with soy or canola oil and other artificial flavorings.

Interesting video titled " Olive Oil is not healthy"..The doc starts getting into Olive oil at 1:59.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGQ...A4Eb8IQcaD21wT

I liked this video explaining choosing the RIGHT Olive Oil, and learning to decipher which Olive Oil is good for you to purchase. I do think this is very important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmb5IM-n5I

Thoughts anyone?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Master
As a monounsaturated fat....olive oil is very good for you. ....providing it hasn't been adulterated with other stuff. ...

Aside from the health benefits of the good fats.....olive oil also contains some polyphenols that are also good

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Deactivated Account

Hi Lucky

As a Spanish woman, I don't think there is anyone who loves cooking with Olive oil more than me, haha. See, I started cooking more with Olive Oil the past year and what I noticed is that I started gaining weight. I eat very little in general but noticed the Olive Oil intake really added inches to the waste-line, and It never occurred to me to really investigate what was in the products I was using. Come to fine, most Olive Oils at the grocery market are not pure Olive Oil, 'frauds' as they call them as they contain more canola or soy oil or diluted Oils. They say almost 69% of Olive Oils sold in the market are not what they claim to be. I am just raising awareness, because I really do love the taste of Olive Oil

These are popular brands that aren't pure Olive Oil and sit at your grocery store.

Olive Oil Fraud’ oils that failed to meet EVOO standards:

Bertolli
Carapelli
Colavita
Star
Filippo Berio
Mazzola
Mezzetta
Newman’s Own
Safeway
Whole Foods

6 Tips for Recognizing Real Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Do not buy light olive oil or a blend; it isn’t virgin quality.
When extra virgin olive oil costs less than $10 a litre it may not be real.
Only buy oils in dark bottles, as this protects the oil from oxidation.
Look for a seal from the International Olive Oil Council (IOC)
Look for a harvesting date on the label.
Olive oil can get old and rancid. A simple test for a “good” olive oil is to taste a little on a spoon. Not rancid, real olive oil will have a fruity taste in the front of your mouth and a peppery taste in the back of your mouth.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Ascender
Clover, you probably know this already, but if you put the olive oil in the fridge for 24 hours, you can find out if it is pure or not. If the oil solidifies, it is pure olive oil. If it doesn't solidify, then it is mixed with other oils.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Master
Salt, sugar, and fats in restaurant foods, your body is never not looking, pouring oil on your food is pouring oil on your food! LOL! Sounds like my dad. He's always telling me to stay away from oils, salts, and sugars, and eat fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Anyone here on a S-O-S FREE diet? I can't do it. I think moderation is the key. I love olive oil. Good info, thanks for the links! Now I know how to look for real olive oils.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Deactivated Account

Hey, LPC, I did not know that, but will certainly give it a try, thanks for the tip.

@Berry, I don't think I could do a Sugar, Oil, Salt free diet, no way! Salt is such a bloater though, glad the article was helpful. I am really disappointed as a consumer, I didn't expect misleading information from Olive oil, but now I know!
Old 07-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC
Clover, you probably know this already, but if you put the olive oil in the fridge for 24 hours, you can find out if it is pure or not. If the oil solidifies, it is pure olive oil. If it doesn't solidify, then it is mixed with other oils.

This is spot on information for distinguishing between good and tampered with olive oil.
I only cook with olive oil and get it fresh from the source. I suggest you look into Greek oil, as it's top quality.
I don't know what brands are being marketed to the US, but buying a small bottle and experimenting with the fridge will eventually lead you to a decent brand. So many scams out there, it's a shame.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Master
The true olive oils taste and smell 1,000 times better than the fake ones.
Old 14-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Master
I truly love olive oil
Old 14-03-2022, 09:51 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover
Do you know what is in your Olive Oil? Many Olive Oils in the market today are mixed with soy or canola oil and other artificial flavorings.

Interesting video titled " Olive Oil is not healthy"..The doc starts getting into Olive oil at 1:59.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGQ...A4Eb8IQcaD21wT
Olive oil also blocks DHT (dihydrotestosterone) ... you really need to look into this (and not from the perspective of the "hair loss people").

This is a serious issue for guys ... you'll wind up with prostate problems.
"You have to work really hard, and you have to be prepared to fail over and over again, and to make mistakes over and over again ... we have to experiment with every stupid wrong idea before we get on to the right one."
Dr Lee Smolin
"It isn't that they can't see the solution, it's that they can't see the problem."
G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 16-03-2022 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Justin, 2-3 sentnces when quoting others