Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 PM
pgrundy

B12 deficiency gets a lot of press, but many products aimed at vegans and vegetarians are fortified with B12. For instance, even though I do take a daily supplement just to be on the safe side, I get more than the RDA of B12 from the brand of almond milk I use. And that's just one fortified food.

D3 is becoming a problem for many people, vegan or carnivore or omnivore, because people don't get out in the sun like they used to. You don't need direct sun but you need to be outside a portion of every day, and most people are not outside enough.

Last but not least, many processed foods actually deplete micronutrient and vitamins and upset normal metabolism.

I'm just bring this up because although it's good to know about the B12 issue and others, you compare it to the rampant heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, cancer, and more of the standard modern diet and it's literally no big deal. I mean, there's just no comparison.

It's like the speck in your brother's eye.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflow
B12 is not available to a vegan. It is to a vegetarian in eggs and in dairy products.
try hemp seeds,

I don't use supplements, at least not manufactured supplements. I use bee pollen and they might not be acceptable by some who call themselves vegan, but my diet is much stricter them most vegan's would be. I select my food according to vibration. And what I have noticed is, anything that is manufactured does not stack up.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 AM
lil

All B complex can be earned from Brewer's yeast powder, and, yes, 10-15 minutes of daily sunlight exposure (avoiding heat temperatures) can improve D3 (cholecalciferol).
Old 10-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Yes. There is info. here:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newswe...our-health.htm

Sunlight (UVB radiation) acts with a precursor chemical in the skin, and turns this precursor into D3, which is then taken to liver and kidneys to produce Vitamin D.

Also, mushrooms, exposed to hours of sunlight, are also a good vegan food-source of Vitamin D, including D3! (this may not work with UVB rays through glass...)
Old 19-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Experiencer
I checked what I would need before I went vegetarian. I made soydrink with added B12 and calcium the cornerstone of my vegetarian diet. Soydrink replaced milk.
I now have a vegan diet since a few years.

A few months ago I started to make my own soydrink. This forced me to start taking supplements for calcium and B12.
At first I didn't like using supplements. It looked too unnatural for me, even though it's just as unnatural to add it to soydrink. Guess it was just some lazyness.

But now that I do take tablets for calcium, in particular, I am fine with it. Because this enables me to easily increase my intake without getting the additional calories as well. So it's much easier to maintain a reasonable weight.
I need a lot of calcium because I am over fifty and I walk a lot. You also need it for flexible joints.

And supplements are very cheap. So is making my own soydrink. I'm really glad I made that switch too.

Since I use enough calcium and make my own soydrink some problems with stiff joints have disappeared. I can easily live up to ninety with this kind of diet.
Old 19-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Master

mogenblue, how do you make soydrink? Thanks.
Old 19-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Experiencer
The easiest and best way to make soydrink yourself is to use a soymilk machine. I first tried it by hand a couple of weeks to see if I liked it. It's more pure then what you get from a factory, but that also means less aromatic. So you have to sweeten it yourself.

But when you make it yourself it's much cheaper and you can use the whole soybean. You use the milk to drink and the residu, okara in Japanese, can be sweetened and flavored and then used as spread on bread.

One liter in the supermarket cost me 89 eurocent and now that I make it myself it cost me 14 eurocent or less. I used to drink about one liter a day to get enough calcium and B12, but now that I have switched to my own I use only two glasses a day because that is really powerful enough. Enough proteins and pure power. That saves me at least 25 euro per month.

At present I use 60 grams / 2.12 ounce for 1.2 liter / 1.3 quart (US).
I get 6 glasses from one batch so one batch is enough for 3 days. I plan to switch to 50 grams / 1.8 ounce because it's still too strong for me. Too rich in protein; I also use pulses with dinner, that's why.
If you do it by hand you might need some extra beans. I originally started with 80 grams / 3.17 ounce.
You best experiment yourself with the right weight for the desired result.

The procedure for soymilk by hand:
Put the soybeans in a large enough cup and soak it in water for 8 to 12 hours. I always let it soak overnight.
Flush of the beans under streaming water. This is important because the beans release a kind of acid that has a tendency to induce a soft diarea.
Get fresh water to make the milk.
Use half of the water and half of the beans and mix it in a blender for 2 minutes at least.
Pour the mass in a cooking pan and set it to cook.
Get the other half of the water and beans and mix them too in a blender for 2 minutes at least. Add it to the mass in the cooking pan.
(Two times half the mass and water mixes better then one time all the beans and water.)
When it boils let it boil softly for about 10 minutes.
Seperate the mass from the milk with a fine cloth. Save the milk in a can.
I used cheese cloth for the seperation. That's a special type of cloth especially designed to seperate liquid from mass. I don't know if this is the correct english word, it's the literal translation of 'kaasdoek'.
Add a little salt to the milk for some basic flavor.
It can be stored in the fridge for about 3 days.

Slight variation:
Put the soybeans in a large enough cup and soak it in water for 8 to 12 hours.
Flush of the beans under streaming water.
Get fresh water to make the milk.
Pour the water and the whole beans in a cooking pan bring it to the boiling point. You can also first heat the water in a watercooker and then put it all in a cooking pan. Might save some gas and works a little quicker.
When it boils pour everything in a blender and mix it for 2 minutes at least.
Pour everything back in the pan and get it back to boiling.
When it boils let it boil softly for about 10 minutes.
Seperate the mass from the milk with a fine cloth. Save the milk in a can.
Add a little salt for some basic flavor.
It can be stored in the fridge for about 3 days.

The second method may result in a finer soy mass/past because the mass is heated. If it's finer it will better release it's nutritions to the water.
My soymilk machine first brings the whole bunch to boiling point and then it mixes it a few times during the boiling process. That's whay I added the second method. It works better.

I hope it's clear enough. Ask away if not.
Old 19-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Master

Clear enough for know-nothing like me to understand. Thank you very much for the detail procedure. I will try it.