Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 25-01-2012, 04:20 PM
geri

What is a miracle?

I came across this text by Emmet Fox on "what is a miracle" that I wanted to share.
Jesus taught through miracles.
If the miracles did not happen, the rest of the Gospel story loses all real significance. If Jesus did not believe them to be possible, and undertake to perform them, then the Gospel message is chaotic, contradictory, and devoid of significance.
But the deeds related to Jesus in the Four Gospels did happen, and many others too, "the which, if they should be written, every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written." Jesus himself justified what people thought to a strange teaching by the works he was able to do; and he went further and said ...the works that I do shall he do also;and greater works...(John 14:12.
Now what, after all, is a miracle? Those who deny the possibility of miracles on the ground that the universe is perfect system of law and order, to the operation of which there can be no exceptions, are perfectly right. But the explanation is that the world of which we are normally aware, and with whose laws alone most people are acquainted, is only a fragment of the whole universe as it really is; and that there is such a thing as appealing from a lower to a higher law--from a lesser to a greater expression. In the sense of a real breach of law, miracles are impossible. Yet, in the sense that all ordinary rules and limitations of the physical plane can be set aside or overridden by an understanding that has risen about them, miracles can and do happen.
In other words, miracles, in the popular sense of the word, can and do happen as the result of a change of consciousness, and a change of consciousness is usually accomplished through prayer (raised consciousness.) Thus prayer does change things.
Blessings, Geri
Old 25-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Shabby

Hi Geri,
Thank you for starting this thread as I see the value of looking into the matter of what creates Miracles.

To start off I see a danger with saying that through prayer we experience Miracles. What comes to my mind are all those that pray for a loved one to be healed through prayer without success. That would suggest that they either did not pray hard enough or believe they were not worthy or that God's will was different from their will.

A miracle to me is the dropping away of an illusion. Some say everything or nothing is a miracle and I see where that holds true. From a greater perspective (looking through God's eyes) everything is perfect but looking from the eyes of mankind nothing is perfect....as I see nothing perfect in suffering, disease, hunger and so on.

When we look at Jesus's healings we can see that Jesus only healed those in his consciousness....those that were brought to his attention. It is an individual's consciousness that creates the space for miracles to occur. If it wasn't so Jesus would have healed the whole world all at once.

God can not give or take away anything from what God is. God is spirit and knowing God as such we can say that God did not create illness nor "miracles".

I recall reading Sri Nisargatta Maharaj sending people to a cafe down the road to drink a class of water and they were healed...against his Gurus will of him focusing alone on finding the Truth within himself first. When I look at this action and compare it to what Jesus did I see a similarity. Both asked for a demonstration in faith.

From my own experience I recall a woman coming to me with a problem....as I believe a healing consciousness heals the sick and poor I wondered why a healing did not take place after she brought it to my attention again. I asked God and heard "Tell her to set the alarm at 6:00 a.m. in the morning, to go in her pj's outside of her house, turn three times to the left and three times to the right ...jump up and down and then clap her hands and she will be healed". I could not believe what I was hearing...and that from God? But I understood then that some believe they have to do something in order for a miracle to come through.

The healing consciousness that creates the experience of Miracles is the awareness that everything we perceive with our senses is an illusion....and subject to change. It is the understanding that we have our real being within spirit which is perfect.
Old 25-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Humm

A miracle, simply put, is that which defies our expectations in a (relatively) positive capacity.

Funny how those things which defy our expectations in a negative capacity are often called 'Acts of God' - but go figure.
Old 25-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Bluegreen

A miracle is the result of a law put into action.

Because we do not (yet) know that law, we call the result a miracle.
Old 25-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
A miracle is the result of a law put into action.

Because we do not (yet) know that law, we call the result a miracle.

That's a fascinating and intriguing way of looking at 'miracles', Bluegreen.

Old 25-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Master

Hi geri,

Elevating one's consciousness for even one second is the real true 'miracle' in life, which is brought about not by "setting aside" or "overriding" any ordinary laws/tendencies inherent in physical existence, in Nature - but by their very utilization.

Prayer is one form of utilization of some of those laws and tendencies, and not only that - the recognition of, the aspiration to pray is itself a 'miracle', a spontaneous action, raising of consciousness that also originates from those same tendencies of Nature of which we are a part, but which are also within us.

Therefore - there is nothing that really isn't a miracle - it is all a miracle. We just call it something special when we consciously recognize certain changes have occurred, perhaps ones we have also consciously participated in creating.

~ J
Old 25-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Hi geri,

Elevating one's consciousness for even one second is the real true 'miracle' in life, which is brought about not by "setting aside" or "overriding" any ordinary laws/tendencies inherent in physical existence, in Nature - but by their very utilization.

Prayer is one form of utilization of some of those laws and tendencies, and not only that - the recognition of, the aspiration to pray is itself a 'miracle', a spontaneous action, raising of consciousness that also originates from those same tendencies of Nature of which we are a part, but which are also within us.

Therefore - there is nothing that really isn't a miracle - it is all a miracle. We just call it something special when we consciously recognize certain changes have occurred, perhaps ones we have also consciously participated in creating.

~ J

That sure blows away my expectations J!
Old 25-01-2012, 09:21 PM
silent whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyotir
Hi geri,

~ J

In that particpation and recogntion, those changes we recognize leave us in awe of something profound.....yet in the recognition itself, we realize its the miracle of all life..that is profound....it is the recognition of what moves us....what moves through us......and how it moves......that is very moving. In that moment, the miracle of creation in and of itself....as one is the miracle.
Old 25-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Master
A miracle is just something we are ignorant of, a television is a miracle to someone who has never seen one, I also think miracles in the bible were only there to attract the ignorant in the hope that they might see the inner meaning of the story, or what is beyond the supposed miracle.
Old 26-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Master
That you are is the miracle.