Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Crystals & Gemstones

Old 05-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Newbie ;)

Question Clear Quartz Question

Hi, so I'm a newbie to crystals and bought my first clear quartz two days ago. I put it in my pocket with my keys and noticed it had little dents on the edges. So I wondered if it was fake - I read it should scratch glass but am not sure about keys whoops better care noted- called a different store than where I'd gotten it, and they weren't sure by my description.

It sounds silly to me for doubting how genuine it is, but I've read stuff online like real quartz doesn't magnify printed words and that it should feel cold to the touch.

I don't have a crystal to compare it to.

It magnifies text, isn't cold to the touch, and I can easily see my fingerprints all over it. Also, I can scratch the edge with my nail. It does scratch glass, and I can't see any bubbles. It's just perfectly clear except for a tiny sliver of beings at the bottom. Please help.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliah
Hi, so I'm a newbie to crystals and bought my first clear quartz two days ago. I put it in my pocket with my keys and noticed it had little dents on the edges. So I wondered if it was fake - I read it should scratch glass but am not sure about keys whoops better care noted- called a different store than where I'd gotten it, and they weren't sure by my description.

It sounds silly to me for doubting how genuine it is, but I've read stuff online like real quartz doesn't magnify printed words and that it should feel cold to the touch.

I don't have a crystal to compare it to.

It magnifies text, isn't cold to the touch, and I can easily see my fingerprints all over it. Also, I can scratch the edge with my nail. It does scratch glass, and I can't see any bubbles. It's just perfectly clear except for a tiny sliver of beings at the bottom. Please help.

I've just read that if it is true quartz it shouldn't have bubbles, so there is a plus there as well as scratching glass, natural quartz with bubbles that are formed by water I've just read will have water in them, these are online sources however.

The only true way of knowing 100% is to have it tested by a geologist.

Is there a way you can perhaps post an image or two?
Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 PM
Master
Scratch glass? It's not a diamond...
I never put my crystals in my pocket with either keys or loose change or anything just to make sure they don't get damaged.
I'm quite sure steel will damage quartz, especially things like keys which have sharper edges and points. I do carry crystals on me, but in my left pocket. Keys and change are always in the right one.
You always get fingerprints all over them, that's why you occasionally polish them with a soft cloth or tissue.
Not cold, how can that be unless it's plastic? Even glass would be cold to the touch.
Some quartz crystals are clear. I got one of those too. Not even a sliver in it.
I'd stop worrying, just be a bit more careful with your crystals :)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Newbie ;)

I just tried what I read online. Some articles said it's around a 7 on the mohs scale and to try scratching glass with it, others said crystals are cool to the touch while glass is not, etc. The shopkeeper did say clear quartz can be completely clear, but I don't know. When I hold it, it feels light and like plastic to me. Though I could be over thinking it. I was happy to get it at first, but whenever I look at it, I feel a little bit of doubt. The pocket thing was a one time thing; I normally keep keys and all in my purse but was trying to keep up a friend. Haha.

Seeing as there's not a lot out there about fakes that people can agree on, I think it's safe to say mine's real. Thank you two for the help!

-----

The only thing I've bought before was a Hematite ring that was very magnetic. Later, I'd read that while natural hematite is magnetic, it shouldn't be as strong as to stick onto things like my ring. I joined this forum thinking it'd be a more reliable place for information. :)

In general, crystals have been a confusing venture. When I tried shopping for crystals months ago, holding blue agate gave me headaches and standing in front of a certain large amethyst display, I experienced light sensitivity. Symptoms like the ones from a concussion I'd gotten earlier in the year, which was weird considering their properties.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:06 AM
Administrator
Hello

It is never easy to know if your getting the real deal or not. I have had gems to experts at times and even they could not tell me what a quartz I have is merged with in another stone.

I never put crystals in my pocket unless they are in a pouch. That way I keep them separate from things that might scratch them.

When it comes to quartz to find real clear and fine quality is not easy. I would never touch any of my crystals on glass. You never know how the glass will break some will shatter in shards that are dangerous.

When it comes to Hematite the magnetic stones be wary.

What is the difference of magnetic and nonmagnetic Hematite?

Only a very small amount of Hematite is naturally found magnetic, and it is only a very small magnetic charge. The stronger magnetic charge is added by a process of heating and cooling the stone, while attached to a strong magnet.

This is where you should watch out for fakes, many are synthetic ceramic barium-strontium ferrite magnet. From here they are polished. There is a benefit from the magnet jewelry that many do swear by. If you feel better from wearing it even if its fake that is a “bonus” I would feel.

Lynn
Old 06-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Master
About the hematite...
Aren't we confusing hematite and magnetite here?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
About the hematite...
Aren't we confusing hematite and magnetite here?

I also find them to be different.
If nothing else, two different minerals: Magnetite chemical formula is Fe3O4 and Hematite Fe2O3.
They are basically iron oxides, but with different molecules and crystal structures. There are at least 5 more different types of iron oxide crystals under different names, such as Maghemite, Lodestone, Wustite, etc...
The very interesting thing about Magnetite (natural) is that Magnetite exists in the human brain what makes some researchers suggest that humans possess a magnetic sense.
I stay away from synthetic crystals, simply because you never know what other chemicals were used to be made.
For some reason, I feel drawn to natural crystals only, not treated, cleansed only by high-pressure water jets.
The most beautiful Hematite I've ever seen was one piece with pseudo-scalenohedral crystal habit (outward crystal form is that of another mineral species), free of any contact and other minerals, but it was so expensive you wouldn't believe :)

Last edited by Errol : 06-01-2018 at 01:34 PM.