Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 30-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Geomagman

Does belief in the afterlife have a downside?

I don't know if anyone has ever thought about this before but belief in how wonderful the afterlife is might give one an incentive to hurry up and get to the other side, at least subconsciously.

For example, let's say you discover you have cancer and face a painful and challenging set of treatments via radiation and chemotherapy, would you really push yourself to go through with all that misery knowing that if you didn't treat the disease, you could leave this dull world for the exciting worlds beyond? Or another example, perhaps knowing that death is only the beginning of life, maybe you might have the courage and desire to engage in more risk. That could take the form of riding a motorcycle more, climbing mountains, skydiving, etc. After all, why not live at little more now?

I'm not advocating dumb or risky behavior but I do think there are consequences of our beliefs. Technically, you could commit slow term suicide by eating nothing but Twinkies and pizza or you could do it by smoking. If there is a huge reward waiting for you when you die...well shy not?

Your thoughts?
Old 30-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Quintessence

The only downside I care about is people irresponsibly ruining Gaea's ecosystems on their selfish quest for personal fulfillment. If they want to die faster, this could actually help the environment by alleviating human overpopulation. It's doubtful they'd die faster in enough numbers to make a difference, though.
Old 30-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Master
Yeah, Geo, I've thought of it. But, unfortunately, even knowing that there is an afterlife, if you weren't *done* with this life, it wouldn't matter what you did (short of killing yourself)--your life would continue! At least in my little reality.

Being more aware of the fact that you have immortality, to me, just brings the realization that...there is no hurrying this process. As long as it takes you to learn...that's how long you will be involved in some kind of incarnation. So--might as well make the most of it.

For me, it just makes more clear the idea that, regardless of the shortness of physical lives, we only "get" what we truly get. You can't fake a "learning" in a life--it shows in your energy. It is reflected by those who "see" very clearly. So, there are end parameters, but not.

What does bother me somewhat, is the idea that the finiteness of physical life--is a fake, imposed kind of reality--on an infinite life. I think it is design to force us to get the most out of it. But it is, after all, kind of false. ? Am I wrong here?

IsleWalker - Lora
Old 30-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Master
Many people put their belief in the so called after life and miss out on this life, where you are now is the only place you can ever be, so enjoy NOW.
Old 30-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Administrator
You should live in the now as psychoslice has said, but the spirit world is a wonderful place to be, as a medium we have to be careful what we say, so as not to make ppl ,want to go there before their time, because it doesnt solve anything, spirit will tell you the greatest gift you can give them is to live, then they can enjoy it with you,
Namaste
Old 31-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Pathfinder

I believe that killing yourself or purposely letting yourself die if it's not your time to go then you'll just reincarnate immediately so you can finish off what you were supposed to do/learn in this life.

I don't see a downside to believing in the afterlife and I'm quite looking forward to it, but not until it's my time to go.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:26 AM
LovingMistress

Strangely if I didn't believe in some sort of afterlife - I would have ended my life ... So I guess it works both way ! It's the thought of an afterlife and a purpose to my life here right now , that keeps me going . If it was all for nothing, then I couldn't , and wouldn't want to carry on.
Old 31-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Sybilline

My mother used to tell me that people who believe in the afterlife can more easily give their life away, for war for example, because they think there is another life anyway... While people who don't believe it may find they have to make the most out of this life... Of course, that depends on the person, I kind of think what she said makes sense though...
Old 31-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybilline
My mother used to tell me that people who believe in the afterlife can more easily give their life away, for war for example, because they think there is another life anyway... While people who don't believe it may find they have to make the most out of this life... Of course, that depends on the person, I kind of think what she said makes sense though...
That's what I always say also, what a world if we all could live for NOW, and not some dream of a future life, that's not how nature works, that's being greedy and ugly.
Old 31-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Nightmare

Nobody will want to die only because believes in the wonderful afterlife.
Some who aren't happy and dont want to live do believe in "a huge reward waiting for them", but I dont think they would want to live if didnt believe.