Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 20-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Knower

Judaism and homosexuality

I am quite ignorant of Judaism ,so please excuse me if this sounds a daft question.
I noticed in another thread there was some mention of scripture concerning homosexuality. "man shall not lie with man" one.
It intrigued me that the scripture may not have the meaning I always thought it did.
Is homosexuality a sin in Judaism?
Is it perhaps more discouraged than a sin?
Old 15-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Sister Rags

I was raised in the conservative Jewish tradition and taught that homosexuality is acceptable.
Old 16-06-2014, 12:48 AM
elisi

in the cherokee culture, a lot of our homosexuals were in the priesthood. they were considered perfectly balanced and very well respected.

here's my humble take on the meaning behind the bible verses that condemn homosexuality; 'in the beginning' the earth was sparsely populated. and god wanted them to go forth and 'multiply'. he also condemned masturbation-don't spill your seed on the ground.

it makes sense to me that lying with your own sex and masturbating does not produce offspring. and god was all about 'begating'. :)

and i also suspect that a lot of things in the bible got twisted and different meanings were deduced.
Old 16-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Sister Rags

Yes, elisi, I agree.
Old 16-06-2014, 02:23 AM
Adept

My famy is accepting of homosexuality, grandparents included. They see the scriptures as works of man and therefore they have have the flaws of man.
Old 16-06-2014, 03:15 AM
Knower

Thanks Sister Rags ,elisi and Adept.
I had no idea there was any sort acceptance of homosexuality in Judaism. Some very good points made here and i agree God was all about the "begating".
Old 16-06-2014, 05:42 AM
Sister Rags

Judaism is quite liberal. For example, while abortion is not encouraged, it is accepted if the pregnant woman's life is in danger. But "in danger" has a broad meaning: obviously, there is physical danger (health reasons). But if the pregnant woman feels unable mentally to take on the job of becoming a mother, abortion is permissible.

Of course, conservative and reform Jews are more liberal than orthodox Jews are (although even they are generally much more liberal than not).
Old 27-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Knower

I think I want to be Jewish.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Master
There is the form of Judaism, referred to as "Messianic Judaism". And, there are variants in everything, aren't there?
One might percieve that the Laws about Homosexuality were about the formation and bringing up a community and society of a people, of God. That they prosper and they multiply in the world into a great nation.

If one feels that certain others will be judged, then let God judge, Who judges righteously, and not ourselves. What are we called to do?
We are called to love one another as God loves us, to love our neighbor also, as we love ourselves. This also is about not harming ourselves, regarding our souls, by incurring injury or harm to others by our behavior toward them.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 20-08-2014, 06:37 PM
Seeker

According to Rabbi Menachem Schneerson, while men may indeed be attracted to other men and women to other women, this is not an irreversible physical condition. He also held the view that despite this attraction, individuals so inclined may still find sexual fulfillment in a heterosexual marriage.

In Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox communities, homosexuality is condemned and Jewish bachelors are encouraged to marry.

In 2006, Conservative Judaism amended it's laws regarding homosexuality leaving it up to the congregation how it deals with homosexuality. Thus some Conservative congregations allow it while others forbid it.

Reform Judaism believes homosexuality today was not understood when the Bible was written. Thus, the Biblical prohibition of homosexual acts can and should be adapted to fit today's world.